R1200R Factory Tool Kit (?)
Moderator: Moderators
R1200R Factory Tool Kit (?)
Here's a quick one.. I recently picked up a low-mile '07 R12 - without a tool kit. I asked about it, and the owner told me she didn't get one with her bike when she bought it new in June.
On the other hand, my daughter just picked up a new R12 last month as well, and it came with a factory tool kit.
So.. R12 factory tool kit? Yes or no?.. If yes, I'm outta luck. What tools will I need to do road-side repairs and routine maintenance checks? I'll pick up what I'll need and put one together myself.
Thanks!
On the other hand, my daughter just picked up a new R12 last month as well, and it came with a factory tool kit.
So.. R12 factory tool kit? Yes or no?.. If yes, I'm outta luck. What tools will I need to do road-side repairs and routine maintenance checks? I'll pick up what I'll need and put one together myself.
Thanks!
cruztools.com
Cruztools.com has some nice preset up tool kits for motorcycles.
Scroll down past the Harley kits to see the Metric ones. You might need a oil cap tool from BMW, not sure what other special tools are needed but the kits are nicely made and nicely packaged.
Scroll down past the Harley kits to see the Metric ones. You might need a oil cap tool from BMW, not sure what other special tools are needed but the kits are nicely made and nicely packaged.
If you want to get a "full-service" tool kit, here's a good start:
http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html
http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html
Oliver
2008 R1200GS
2008 R1200GS
The stock tool kit is the second most lame tool kit I have ever gotten with a bike. As I remember my very first "motorcycle" (after a string of tube framed/briggs and straton powered minibikes) was a 1970 Honda CT 70. The "tool kit" contained the same sparkplug/axle wrench as the R12R and a "screwdriver" that had a phillips on one end and a flat blade on the other. Being 13 I was kind of dissapointed, how the heck was I going to service this world traveler bike with such a lame tool kit?
Now being 47 I have come to expect such disappointment in life. Thankfully from the information from members of this site I was prepared for it this time. I too am in the process of putting together a tool kit. The above link helps alot, thanks
Now being 47 I have come to expect such disappointment in life. Thankfully from the information from members of this site I was prepared for it this time. I too am in the process of putting together a tool kit. The above link helps alot, thanks
-
Radar in oz
- Lifer
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:09 pm
- Location: Sydney
Thanks for posting this link, I found it very useful.If you want to get a "full-service" tool kit, here's a good start:
http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html
Can anyone tell me if the R1200R has anything important held on by allen head bolts? I haven't found any yet.
-
Radar in oz
- Lifer
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:09 pm
- Location: Sydney
Thanks for posting this link, I found it very useful.If you want to get a "full-service" tool kit, here's a good start:
http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html
Can anyone tell me if the R1200R has anything important held on by allen head bolts? I haven't found any yet.
Doh!!!... after reading your post I went out and popped the back seat off.. Low and behold.. thar she blows!!!.. Funny thing is that yesterday I had the seat off while connecting my Gerbings power source. Never noticed it. Must be my failing eyesight.OlyVR wrote:Check again, it’s so small you may have missed it, lol.
IIRC, the strap at the bottom of the seat is for the supplemental tool kit, mine was/is attached to the top of the rear fender (still under the seat, but not attached to the seat).
Not much to it, that's for sure.. still think I'll put a few more usefull goodies in the bag.
Thanks much for the tip..
Would someone please make this toolkit link a FAQ or a sticky?
http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html
http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html
Allan
Austin
Austin
- LeonardoNYC
- Basic User
- Posts: 228
- Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:35 am
- Location: New York City--Manhattan
I know..it's unusual.. Her bike is the flat steel gray R, mine is solid black.LeonardoNYC wrote:Wow and Father / Daughter both with R12Rs? That's got to be very unique..you should contact BMW corporate about that!! You might get some press or at lease some farkles?![]()
Are they the same color? that would be too much!
Stay safe!
Here's one better for ya.. My son, my daughter and I all ride Triumph Bonnevilles. Her's is a 2001 standard Bonnie, my son's is a 2005 Bonnie Black, and I have two; an '01 Street Tracker that I built, and a '03 Centennial Edition T100. We like Euro bikes... (and my son and I have Harleys to remind us of our American heritage..



- LeonardoNYC
- Basic User
- Posts: 228
- Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:35 am
- Location: New York City--Manhattan