R1200R Factory Tool Kit (?)

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
NCGS
Basic User
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:33 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Eastern NC

R1200R Factory Tool Kit (?)

Post by NCGS »

Here's a quick one.. I recently picked up a low-mile '07 R12 - without a tool kit. I asked about it, and the owner told me she didn't get one with her bike when she bought it new in June.

On the other hand, my daughter just picked up a new R12 last month as well, and it came with a factory tool kit.

So.. R12 factory tool kit? Yes or no?.. If yes, I'm outta luck. What tools will I need to do road-side repairs and routine maintenance checks? I'll pick up what I'll need and put one together myself.

Thanks!
slow
Basic User
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:16 pm

Post by slow »

it does come with one. not a very good one. it should include the oil cap tool and some assorted stuff. you be better off assemble one your self. search the forum for some useful ideas for one. that's what i am going to do.

btw, i assumed you looked on the bottom of the seat already?
User avatar
NCGS
Basic User
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:33 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Eastern NC

Post by NCGS »

slow wrote:btw, i assumed you looked on the bottom of the seat already?
I have.. I sorta figured it was suppose to have one, since the retaining strap is dangling off the bottom of the seat.

No problem - I'll put one together soon. Thanks for the reply.
User avatar
OlyVR
Lifer
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:21 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Greer, SC
Contact:

Post by OlyVR »

Check again, it’s so small you may have missed it, lol.

IIRC, the strap at the bottom of the seat is for the supplemental tool kit, mine was/is attached to the top of the rear fender (still under the seat, but not attached to the seat).
Oliver
2008 R1200GS
User avatar
Dan-A
Member
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:18 am
Donating Member #: 613
Location: Sacramento CA
Contact:

cruztools.com

Post by Dan-A »

Cruztools.com has some nice preset up tool kits for motorcycles.

Scroll down past the Harley kits to see the Metric ones. You might need a oil cap tool from BMW, not sure what other special tools are needed but the kits are nicely made and nicely packaged.
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net
User avatar
OlyVR
Lifer
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:21 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Greer, SC
Contact:

Post by OlyVR »

If you want to get a "full-service" tool kit, here's a good start:
http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html
Oliver
2008 R1200GS
User avatar
BigEasy
Lifer
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:02 am

Post by BigEasy »

The stock tool kit is the second most lame tool kit I have ever gotten with a bike. As I remember my very first "motorcycle" (after a string of tube framed/briggs and straton powered minibikes) was a 1970 Honda CT 70. The "tool kit" contained the same sparkplug/axle wrench as the R12R and a "screwdriver" that had a phillips on one end and a flat blade on the other. Being 13 I was kind of dissapointed, how the heck was I going to service this world traveler bike with such a lame tool kit?
Now being 47 I have come to expect such disappointment in life. Thankfully from the information from members of this site I was prepared for it this time. I too am in the process of putting together a tool kit. The above link helps alot, thanks
Radar in oz
Lifer
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:09 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Sydney

Post by Radar in oz »

If you want to get a "full-service" tool kit, here's a good start:
http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html
Thanks for posting this link, I found it very useful.

Can anyone tell me if the R1200R has anything important held on by allen head bolts? I haven't found any yet.
Radar in oz
Lifer
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:09 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Sydney

Post by Radar in oz »

If you want to get a "full-service" tool kit, here's a good start:
http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html
Thanks for posting this link, I found it very useful.

Can anyone tell me if the R1200R has anything important held on by allen head bolts? I haven't found any yet.
User avatar
NCGS
Basic User
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:33 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Eastern NC

Post by NCGS »

OlyVR wrote:Check again, it’s so small you may have missed it, lol.

IIRC, the strap at the bottom of the seat is for the supplemental tool kit, mine was/is attached to the top of the rear fender (still under the seat, but not attached to the seat).
Doh!!!... after reading your post I went out and popped the back seat off.. Low and behold.. thar she blows!!!.. Funny thing is that yesterday I had the seat off while connecting my Gerbings power source. Never noticed it. Must be my failing eyesight.

Not much to it, that's for sure.. still think I'll put a few more usefull goodies in the bag.

Thanks much for the tip..
AllanCook
Lifer
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:11 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Austin, Texas

Post by AllanCook »

Would someone please make this toolkit link a FAQ or a sticky?

http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html
Allan
Austin
rtallent
Basic User
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:39 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Maine
Contact:

Post by rtallent »

What are you using to remove the oil drain plug? It looks like it's about a T55 or T60 Torx. There has to be something better than the "tool" for it in the standard tool kit.
Bob
User avatar
LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:35 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: New York City--Manhattan

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Wow and Father / Daughter both with R12Rs? That's got to be very unique..you should contact BMW corporate about that!! You might get some press or at lease some farkles? :)

Are they the same color? that would be too much!

Stay safe!
User avatar
NCGS
Basic User
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:33 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Eastern NC

Post by NCGS »

LeonardoNYC wrote:Wow and Father / Daughter both with R12Rs? That's got to be very unique..you should contact BMW corporate about that!! You might get some press or at lease some farkles? :)

Are they the same color? that would be too much!

Stay safe!
I know..it's unusual.. Her bike is the flat steel gray R, mine is solid black.

Here's one better for ya.. My son, my daughter and I all ride Triumph Bonnevilles. Her's is a 2001 standard Bonnie, my son's is a 2005 Bonnie Black, and I have two; an '01 Street Tracker that I built, and a '03 Centennial Edition T100. We like Euro bikes... (and my son and I have Harleys to remind us of our American heritage.. :wink: )

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:35 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: New York City--Manhattan

Post by LeonardoNYC »

wow..I love my Dad but you're the tops! I hope your insurance agent takes care of you around the Holidays
User avatar
BigEasy
Lifer
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:02 am

Post by BigEasy »

WOW That street tracker is cool. Did you change rear wheel size or is that a stocker?
User avatar
NCGS
Basic User
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:33 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Eastern NC

Post by NCGS »

BigEasy wrote:WOW That street tracker is cool. Did you change rear wheel size or is that a stocker?
Thanks!.. :D It's an 18" Excel aluminum rim that I had laced at Buchanan's. Stock is a 17" rim. Front is the same rim, only in the stock 19" size.
User avatar
hass
Basic User
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:16 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Post by hass »

I never got a toolkit with mine.
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
Post Reply