helmet problems

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

reef
Donating Member #: 0

helmet problems

Post by reef »

Hi,sorry but this is not bike related question for many,but I have sort of a problem with my helmet.I have CABERG 104 Solo, which I just bought.After riding several times is occur to me that helmet is far more noisy than any other helmet. It is so bad that I was forced to desend from interstate,due to wind noise and turbolence.My ears actualy start to hurt after like 30 minutes of riding,despite using earsplugs.It is unfortunate that I can't buy another helmet,because of money shortage.(and wife)Please if any of you have sugestion,iam desperate for help.I cannot ride like this,and summer is comming.Maybe there is some web page,or sollution how to deflect the wind.So much for quiet,wind tunnel tested and expensive helmet.Also no return is possible this time.Thankyou so much in advance for your input. regards Mark
GERMANIA WERKE Nr;1150 R
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Re: helmet problems

Post by challey »

My suggestion would be earplugs. This WebBikeWorld site http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm has some recommendations on hearing protection and some interesting links (e. g., studies on helmet noise & hearing loss). I use the Heartech plugs which I found on the site and have been very pleased.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Reef,

You don't mention if you ride behind a windscreen or not. If you do, it may be the reason for the excess wind noise. Helmets are designed for a clean air stream, not the turbulence often caused by windscreens.

You may also want to shop around for some better earplugs.
reef

Post by reef »

Hi,I don't use windscreen,and I am using regular ear plugs
GERMANIA WERKE Nr;1150 R
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Post by TicTac50 »

My son just got this one from New Enough. This helmet has a good reviews and my son says that it has less noise than his old Nolan helmet. For 72 bucks it is worth a try.
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/helm ... elmet.html
Good Luck.
Lifetime Member #586
2002 R1150R
2004 R1150 ABS
2003 F650 CSA
PRESSING "1" FOR ENGLISH!
Boris Badenov
Basic User

Post by Boris Badenov »

...never tried it myself, but this thingy might help...

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L ... m=MRX_MSW3
Last edited by Boris Badenov on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This plan was fool proof, yes! Idiot proof, no!"
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

...Looks like it might; seems to me that the wind noise comes in through the bottom of the helmet. I just ordered one. I'll report on effectiveness when it arrives.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
johnnyjs1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 607

Post by johnnyjs1 »

Reef.....doesnt your lid have the rubber thingy under the chinto keep the wind out? I also have a Caberg Solo, and it is not loud at all. Maybe your helemt is too big, allowing the wind to pass between your melon and the helmet padding? Mine is tight, but still very comfy. Even with the visor 1/4 open the wind noise doesnt bother me 8-[
See, I told you guys, half the time I dont know what I'm talking about.
09 Someting??
Lifer 607
reef

Post by reef »

hi,I just ordered windjammer 2 from UK,so this might help.I don't think that helmet is too big,it can't be any smaller then (L).I also trying some new ear plugs so hopefully that will solve the problem.Thank you so much for generous imput Mark
GERMANIA WERKE Nr;1150 R