R1100R hydraulic clutch

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
omg1010
Basic User
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:11 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Germany

R1100R hydraulic clutch

Post by omg1010 »

Hi folks,

as we all know the old-style 1100 models (except the S) had the clutch driven by cable. Has anybody ever changed to hydraulic use?

In Germany it was done once but required major works on the housing and the gearbox to be taken off the bike. No option for me ... Hence I have ordered a little hydraulic cylinder from a spanish manufacturer by the name of Hebo (part no HR8910161. It is a 17.5 mmm hydraulic cylinder which is installed right in front of the lower clutch lever.

Image

I have just ordered the hydraulic cylinder without the levers as I would like to use the BMW levers (I'll get myself the clutch lever from the R1100S/R1150 models).

The same mod has been made by Triumph and Suzuki riders. The Hebo cylinder is compatible with DOT4 brakefluid.

I'll keep you posted when the parts arrive and how I get on.

Brgds
Oliver
CRazyCam
Basic User
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 1:29 am

Re: R1100R hydraulic clutch

Post by CRazyCam »

Hi Oliver.

Please, please forgive me, but why?

I have to be honest that one of the reasons I am not looking forward to upgrading my old R850R is going to a hydraulic clutch.

regards,CrazyCam
omg1010
Basic User
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:11 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Germany

Re: R1100R hydraulic clutch

Post by omg1010 »

Mornin crazycam,

4 reasons

1) my cable broke on 2 occasions (and on both occasions obviously in the middle of nowhere and on a weekend ...)
2) hydraulic needs less force on the lever
3) there are NO decent aftermarket levers available for a the cable-driven version (there are plenty for the hydraulic version)
4) on the 1150 models some of the switches moved to the lever housing (whilst on the 1100 have been integrated in the instrument holder above the upper fork bridge)

Brgds
Oliver
CRazyCam
Basic User
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 1:29 am

Re: R1100R hydraulic clutch

Post by CRazyCam »

Fair enough, Oliver.

I guess it's just our different levels of technical expertise.

You, obviously, know much more about working on motorcycles than I do, while I, being a bit of a klutz, like the simpler technology.

I haven't (yet) suffered a broken cable on the R bike, but, back when I had a K bike, I did break a cable. It really was a big lump to ride without a clutch! :shock:

I also assume that your clutch may have been made heavier to cope with the extra power that you have over standard.

regards,CrazyCam
omg1010
Basic User
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:11 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Germany

Re: R1100R hydraulic clutch

Post by omg1010 »

Good morning crazycam,

well there are partly logical reasons and partly cosmetic reasons behind my attempt ... :mrgreen:

And no, my clutch is still original and has never been touched or modified.

Brgds
Oliver
CRazyCam
Basic User
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 1:29 am

Re: R1100R hydraulic clutch

Post by CRazyCam »

omg1010 wrote: well there are partly logical reasons and partly cosmetic reasons behind my attempt ... :mrgreen:
Hi Oliver.

Yeah, I did notice the cosmetic factor. ;)

Far be it from me to critise that.

When I fitted a Daytona 675 front end to my Street Triple, while I did gain adjustable front suspension and better brakes, the much richer colour of Gold, compared to the originals, was an attraction, too. :D

regards,CrazyCam
omg1010
Basic User
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:11 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Germany

Re: R1100R hydraulic clutch

Post by omg1010 »

My wife always says: "men and their toys, as long as they go after their bike they don't do other stupid things ..." :roll:

Brgds
Oliver
omg1010
Basic User
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:11 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Germany

Re: R1100R hydraulic clutch

Post by omg1010 »

CRazyCam wrote:
Hi Oliver.

Yeah, I did notice the cosmetic factor. ;)

regards,CrazyCam
I heard ya loud and clear :) Cosmetics is that I'll be able to make use of nicely forged aftermarket levers and secondly the switches on top of the upper forkbridge disappear (which helps me with my planned instrument cluster mod). The last parts I got from fleabay USA arrived yesterday and next week my bike goes to the specialized wrencher ...

Brgds
Oliver
Post Reply