Lightweight cover for R12R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
r12r-don
Basic User
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:44 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Contact:

Lightweight cover for R12R

Post by r12r-don »

As I aniously await the arrival of my new R1200R, I am beginning to shop for the essentials I'll need right away. This includes a lightweight cover.

Anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight cover to bring with me regularly? I'm not a stickler for cleanliness, it is just that NYC doesn't usually ticket if it is covered.

Ideally I'm looking for something that has puch or folds into itself in a pouch.

any covers with draw strings in them to cinch around the bottom so I don't have to bungee it in the windy weather?

Any info would be appreciated.

---Don
User avatar
Lost Rider
Basic User
Posts: 1629
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 1:31 am
Donating Member #: 514
Location: Ventura County, California
Contact:

Post by Lost Rider »

I bought one of these last year, seems to be OK, though I don't use it too much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R115 ... enameZWDVW
Get Lost!
r12r-don
Basic User
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:44 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Contact:

Post by r12r-don »

Now that I've got confirm my new R1200R will be arriving into customs this month, I'm shopping for the necessities.

Of all the covers I've seen so far, I like the Geza cover the most.
Anyone have any experience with them?

Here is their site:
http://www.gezagear.com/customercomments.htm
andyman99
Basic User
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:27 pm

UV-2000 cover

Post by andyman99 »

I recently purchased a half cover, the UV-2000 made by Nelson Rigg. It fits nicely over the bike, either with or without bags, and comes with a little fanny-pack type pouch for holding it. It was around $35. I've noticed several on-line suppliers.
User avatar
hjsbmw
Lifer
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:16 am
Donating Member #: 711
Location: RTP, NC

Re: UV-2000 cover

Post by hjsbmw »

andyman99 wrote:I recently purchased a half cover, the UV-2000 made by Nelson Rigg. It fits nicely over the bike, either with or without bags, and comes with a little fanny-pack type pouch for holding it. It was around $35. I've noticed several on-line suppliers.
What size is your UV-2000?

I need a lightweight half cover that should fit over the 28L topcase and the touring shield also. Which other covers are known to work for the Roadster?
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 4210
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 9:21 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: New Jersey USA
Contact:

Re: Lightweight cover for R12R

Post by deilenberger »

Don from Hoboken asked where to find a cover..

Don from Spring Lake replies - I use a Kwikover (www.kwikover.com) - not cheap, but very handy. It's always on my bike and deployment only takes about 15 seconds. It doesn't cover the license plate, so if that's a ticket avoidance technique it won't work well for you, but it does conceal my GPS, tankbag, etc from prying eyes, and out of sight - out of mind.

It lasts roughly a year with almost daily use from April to November..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
User avatar
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:03 pm
Donating Member #: 952
Location: Here is Always Somewhere Else

Re: Lightweight cover for R12R

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

I have the full cover for the night at home from E-Z Touring and their half cover called The wanderer
that I carry at all time in one of the numerous luggages attached to my bike.

They are "not cheap" but not too heavy or too big, very long lasting & really waterproof.

I like them a lot compare to the few products I previously wasted on other bike in just few months of use.

http://eztouring.com/wanderer.htm

(For the light one called The Wanderer instead of black I should have order a clear bright color
in order to be more conspicuous in parking structures.)
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...
User avatar
Mark_1
Lifer
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:09 am
Donating Member #: 875
Location: Bay Area / Central Valley, Ca.
Contact:

Re: Lightweight cover for R12R

Post by Mark_1 »

I just purchased the Traveler from Sierra BMW. Am very happy with cover. It folds into a small light sack that easily fits in a tank bag. Here is the order info:

1 x E-Z Touring "The Traveller" Motorcycle Cover (TA TB TX + BLK or BLU) = $86.00
Cover Color Royal Blue
Size Cover B
"... Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union." Frank Lloyd Wright
User avatar
Ashveratu
Lifer
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:57 pm
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Palm Bay, Florida

Re: Lightweight cover for R12R

Post by Ashveratu »

+1 on the http://www.kwikover.com/ I have been using one of these down in south Florida for a little over a year. My bike sits outside year round and is riden daily (unless there is a huricane). After a year of use in the Florida sun, the elastic straps have no elasticity and the cover itself is starting to fade in a couple places where it contacts the mirrors. Keep in mind it has seen heavy use in harse conditions. I guess in a more northern environment it would fair better. At the moment though it still serves the purpose I want, keeping the sun off my tank and Sargent seat.

The cover made by Nelson Rigg looks very nice and I think I will try one of those next, plus it costs less!
09 Alpine White R1200R: Touring windshield, BMW panniers, Sargent Low seat, Throttlemeister.
Matt G.
User avatar
lewellen
Lifer
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:33 pm
Donating Member #: 635
Location: Monterey, CA

Re: Lightweight cover for R12R

Post by lewellen »

r12r-don wrote:As I aniously await the arrival of my new R1200R, I am beginning to shop for the essentials I'll need right away. This includes a lightweight cover.

Anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight cover to bring with me regularly? I'm not a stickler for cleanliness, it is just that NYC doesn't usually ticket if it is covered.

Ideally I'm looking for something that has puch or folds into itself in a pouch.

any covers with draw strings in them to cinch around the bottom so I don't have to bungee it in the windy weather?

---Don
I bought one of the "stretchy" covers from Geza Gear: http://www.gezagear.com/

It doesn't go all the way down to the ground, but it does keep the dust / dirt / sun off the bike, and because it doesn't go all the way down, I don't have to wait for the bike to cool before putting it on. It will go on over the R1200R with saddlebags.

It scrunches down reasonably compactly, although I've never had a cover I would consider really small for travel.

Good roads,

- Lewellen
Ask not why we should do a thing; rather, ask why we should not.
Post Reply