Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
duckdave
Double Lifer
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:23 pm
Donating Member #: 580
Location: Little Rock, AR

Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Post by duckdave »

Way back around Christmas I asked for advice about what to spend my Christmas money on. I got lots of good advice (see here), but ended up buying a Kisan SignalMinder.

Well, I got around to installing it this weekend. This is a report of that job, and the results.

The installation. I'd been putting it off, because I was pretty sure I would need to remove the tank. In fact, I was so sure, and so concerned about messing with the fragile quick disconnects, that I put off the job until I could also order up a pair of the Omega QDs that are so highly recommended on this site. Then of course, I had to read every post about installing the QD, and go out an buy FI hose clamps and some FI hose. So everything was ready...

Took off the seat, turned on the turn signal so I could locate the turn signal relay. Viola, there was the relay right in the fuse box, under the seat. Still, what should have been a quick and easy job, I managed to turn into a morning's effort. The SignalMinder fit into the turn-signal relay slot without problem. But for ultimate performance, one needs to locate the brake-light wire and patch into it with the supplied connecter and wire. Tracking this down, for this novice, turned out not to be hard, but to be a lenghtly project.

Let's just say I took off way more parts than needed. While they were off, I managed to fix a few little things to suit me better. I ended up cutting into the wire bundle exiting the rear of the fusebox, isolated the proper wire (Gray with Yellow stripe, confirmed with test light) and, using the supplied splicer thingy, tap into it. [Note to self: That wire splicer thingy they sent seems a little dicey (they wouldn't send me crap would they?) Must remember to look here if future problems arise.] Electric-taped everything up real well. Re-assemble, re-assemble, re-assemble.

The results. The Kisan SignalMinder (SM-5 for R1150R) works pretty much as advertised.

1) Cancel. It's main function is to cancel your turn signal for you after a prescribe amount of time so you don't run around like a blue hair with your turn signal on when you forget to cancel it. Various switch-turn on ignition combinations let you choose to set the timeout to 8, 30 or 45 sec. I chose 8 sec.

2) Running Lights. The turn signal indicators can be lighted all the time as running lights. There are 3 options: OFF, ON-low, and ON-hi intensity. I choose ON-low.

3) Lane Change Feature. Press and hold signal switch for rapid flashes of turn signal for lane changing.

4) Quick Cancel. Tap same signal switch to cancel signaling.

5) Brake Extends Signaling Time Option. Connecting the Kisan to the brake light wire allows you to use this option, and this step took me the most time. When activated when brake is applied the turn-signal does not time out. For example, I'm sitting at at stop light with my signal on. Normally, the signal would cancel (timeout) in 8 sec. But since I'm sitting at the light for an eternity, with my brake on, the signal keeps on flashing and flashing and flashing. After some cage drives up, and the stop light turns green, my signals cancels automatically in 8 sec after releasing the brake. NICE.

6) Brake Flash Feature. This one I'm not sure works. Reading over the instructions as I write this I may have misunderstood what it does. It's supposed to flash all the turn signals when you apply the brakes. Ah, there's the rub. I thought it was supposed to flash the brake light when you applied the brakes. I'll have to check it again and watch the turn signals (bright mode would probably show this best, or darkness), since I'm pretty sure the brake light do not flash any way I've tried it yet. You are supposed to be able to turn this feature ON or OFF with a complicated sequence of switch closures. Will have to try this one again before I'm convince it's working.

All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with the results. It seems to require a split-second more time on the signal switch to activate it. Before the blink was instant-on. I will probably get used to this quickly. I especially like the Quick Flash and Quick Cancel features for lane changing. I think the Running LIghts feature gives me better visibility. I have a bit more experimenting to do to master the "Brake Flash Feature" that flashes the turn signals, or I may have to call Kisan to get help as one who doesn't always deal well with written instructions.

-dave
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
Beemeridian
Lifer
Posts: 1280
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:26 pm
Donating Member #: 477

Re: Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Post by Beemeridian »

33
Last edited by Beemeridian on Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
duckdave
Double Lifer
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:23 pm
Donating Member #: 580
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Post by duckdave »

Update on "Brake Flash Feature".

Called Kisan at their toll-free 888-464-5472 number and was immediately connected with technical help. Here is what I found out. 1) Only the signal lights will flash; the SignalMinder only modifies signal light functions. 2) It is sometimes a bit difficult to activate this feature on BMWs with ABS b/c the start-up functions of the ABS may drop the voltage signal from the brake light below what is needed to program the SignalMinder unit. I was advised that the usual way to turn the feature ON/OFF (it's a toggle feature) is to hold the brake lever, turn the ignition key ON, and QUICKLY pump the brakes as fast as you can 6X (or more). If that doesn't work, then you have to "boost" the signal. To do this, disconnect the auxillary wire you ran to the brake light wire (the one I carefully hid under the side panel and thoroughly taped up). Then, holding it on the positive terminal of the battery, key the ignition switch, then tap the wire 6X on the battery terminal.

We will see what works...
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
User avatar
Max Continuous
Basic User
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:09 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Post by Max Continuous »

I installed a signal minder last year but did not hook it up to the brake light. Where did you splice it in to the brake wire? I have been meaning to get back at it and complete the install.

Thanks
duckdave
Double Lifer
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:23 pm
Donating Member #: 580
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Post by duckdave »

Max Continuous wrote:I installed a signal minder last year but did not hook it up to the brake light. Where did you splice it in to the brake wire? I have been meaning to get back at it and complete the install.

Thanks
The wire runs from the top of the SignalMinder (located in the fuse box beneath the seat) to the brake wire. I loosened the top section of the fuse box (4 phillips head screws, two are a bit difficult to get to due to the frame) and ran the Kisan wire out of the fuse box along with the main power trunk (bundle of wires, about 1/2" in diameter) running out the back of the fusebox.

To splice it into the brake line, I slit the cover of the main wire trunk (described above) about 8-10 inches toward the back of the bike from where it exits the fuse box. I just opened the cover about an inch with a razor blade (being careful not to slice all the wires inside), squeezed the opening a bit and located the gray w/ yellow stripe wire in there. I confirmed this was the wire I wanted using a test lamp and operating the brake to observe the test light flashing on and off in concert. I fished out a little loop of this wire and spliced the Kisan wire on here, using their provided plastic splice thingy.

I still have not managed to activate my Brake Flash Feature (see above for report of why not). It looks like I will have to do it directly off the battery. I'm not wanting to undo all my splice and tape job, so I'm hoping Kisan will send me another auxiliary wire I can use for programing this feature. Andy, at Kisan, said some people don't like it. It flashes all 4 signal lamps (front and back) when you brake. Anyone have experience with it... If it drives everyone crazy I might just skip this.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
Beemeridian
Lifer
Posts: 1280
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:26 pm
Donating Member #: 477

Re: Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Post by Beemeridian »

33
Last edited by Beemeridian on Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Croc
Basic User
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:17 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Lincoln UK

Re: Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Post by Croc »

Beemeridian wrote:
...said some people don't like it. It flashes all 4 signal lamps (front and back) when you brake.
I agree - it could also confuse drivers coming towards you from the front to see both the front turn signals flash.

I have my signalminder connected but also have not yet gone with the brake splice. I intend to get to it one day soon but will only use the first function - ie to stop the countdown. Also use the 8sec option with running lights on low. Good piece of kit altho the first one I got was faulty - dealer replaced after some issues - posted elsewhere on this board.

Croc.
Wind in your hair......

Silver '03 ABS (Twin Spark)
SLEDGE
Basic User
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:32 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Louisville, Ky.

Re: Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Post by SLEDGE »

The SignalMinder was the best accesory that I have added to my bike.I thought it was easy to install,and works just as avertised. :D
R.D

"Don't take life too seriosly,because you'll neve get out of it alive anyway."
duckdave
Double Lifer
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:23 pm
Donating Member #: 580
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Post by duckdave »

Well, I've been running the signalMinder for about a week now, around town and a couple of short slab runs. Still have not tried out the Brake Flash Feature. Thanks for the comments on that. It seems likely I won't like it, but I might still try it.

Here is what I like about it so far:
• Signals turn off automatically—love it, and my friend Ron will be impressed! 8 sec is perfect with Brake OverRide TimeOut feature.
• Rapid flash (hold down signal paddle), and same switch cancel (hit paddle again to cancel)—great for lane changing. Makes you think you might be visible. Don't worry, it's not an hallucination... I know I'm still invisible.
• Brake OverRide TimeOut Feature—Croc and Max Continuous, you gotta hook up the brake wire. This feature is a gud-un.

Been running with my signal lights as running lights and experimenting with the high and low setting. I think I like the feature because of the illusion that having more lights makes one more visible. I don't like the lamps on the "dash" glowing all the time, and I might really dislike this at night (haven't tried yet). I'm getting good at switching them on-the-fly. Pressing <turnsignal cancel + 4-way> cycles the running lights between H, L and OFF, and is not hard to master.
-d.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
MartinW
Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 6:47 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Kisan SignalMinder installed this weekend

Post by MartinW »

I also fitted a Signalminder today - how have I managed for 6 years without one! Brilliant piece of kit.

I manage to run the brake wire without any cutting or splicing into the existing wiring which I was nervous about and reluctant to do. My Kisan unit was a used unit and the cable supplied was not long enough for my purposes. FWIW this was how I tackled it though:

Strip the end of the wire to be used (about 6-7 mm will do).
Take out the two bolts holding the rear light cover.
Pull the connector (grey/yellow wire) off the terminal on the light unit.
Push the end of the new wire into the hole in the terminal.
Push the spade connector(grey/yellow wire) back on again.
Feed the new cable through the narrow slit in the light housing and down the side of the underseat storage unit and through to the fusebox. (It's a bit fiddly but it can be done).
Slacken (but do not remove) the four screws holding the fusebox housing in place.
Pull the housing slightly upwards and feed the new cable through where the main cable exits from the rear of the housing.
Push the housing back into position.
Tighten the four screws.
Connect to the Kisan unit, be slicing to the wire to the cable provided.

Definitely worth the hour it took me.
Life Member #551
02 Blue BMW R1150R non-ABS
Post Reply