bent left rear foot peg bracket?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
SlideRuyle
Basic User
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:49 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Oklahoma City

bent left rear foot peg bracket?

Post by SlideRuyle »

I finally got around to getting a used set of luggage for my 2004 r1150r. The right side is real snug but the left side is loose. It appears that the bracket is not straight up and down ie. bent so it does not go into the slot on the bag completely. I had a minor lay down but it hit the valve cover and the front peg. There is not a mark on the bracket. Could this have come from the factory that way? Can this be bent back or is it cast and will break. I would assume if it was cast it would have broke if I did this.
Ideas????
anyone got pictures of their bracket
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 4776
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:26 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Melbourne

Post by DJ Downunder »

Do you have a pic?...Is the black plastic stopper on the end damaged.

DJ
Buckster
Lifer
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:53 pm
Donating Member #: 543
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Buckster »

I would probably try to bend it back. I would take it off the bike if possible and maybe put some heat on it. If it doesn't work now, you have nothing to loose to try to bend it back into position. It may have to be replaced.
Buckster '03R
#543
User avatar
qfman
Lifer
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:50 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Sydney

Post by qfman »

I came off mine at 20mph a few years back. The silver bracket was fine but the loop of steel off the subframe that holds the bracket was slightly bent. I tried bending it back with a long piece of steel but it's too strong. Took it to my mechanic and he used a lot of heat before it would bend. It was glowing orange. Once it cooled down he put a bit of paint on it and it's been fine for 2 1/2 years.

Tom

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~lonergans/index.html
SlideRuyle
Basic User
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:49 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Oklahoma City

Post by SlideRuyle »

DJ
nomarks on the black stopper. I have never posted a picture but I will take one and try.
I did find one on the bottom side but it would seem it I hit bent it from that direction it would bent up or down but not clockwise
Slideruyle
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 4776
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:26 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Melbourne

Post by DJ Downunder »

That's interesting.

My guess would be that the frame loop that the rear footpeg mounts off would bend before the footpeg/case mount.....Like Tom said.
The right side is real snug but the left side is loose.
That's also odd..The black plastic foot is usually a tight fit into the slot on the case.

Just wondering..Did that minor lay down happen with the case on?..That might be why the black plastic foot shows no damage.

DJ
SlideRuyle
Basic User
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:49 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Oklahoma City

Post by SlideRuyle »

DJ
No. I had the laydown 3 years ago right after I got the bike and just got the bags.
I was going to run by the dealer with the bag on, but yesteday was the OU Texas football game (my school,OU, won) and that took precedence.
Post Reply