Hard Times in Alabama

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

JCsman
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Hard Times in Alabama

Post by JCsman »

Last Tuesday I was "required" to represent my agency at an evening meeting in Mentone, Alabama. This is a lovely, historic mountain village in the north east corner of the state.

I had all day to get there, and all day the next day to return. I could take a government supplied econobox or my own vehicle. And, if I rode my own I get reimbursed for the miles, we even have a reimbursement rate for motorcycles. Weather was to be clear (a bit nippy at 45 in the morning, but warming nicely to low 70's by afternoon). I made the difficult :wink: , executive decision to ride Scarlett, my roadster.

Packed my grown up clothes (for the meeting) in the system cases and off I went. Let's see, I can get there very efficiently by the Interstate routes, or.... hmmm, there are a series of roads that have lots of twists and turn. Well, my boss encourages me to take a variety of roads on my trips, since we're in the highway business. {Astoundingly easy executive decision number 2! :roll: }

Talledega Scenic Drive (it is) through Talladega National Forest and Desoto State Park, The Little River Canyon Road - Alabama 173 [including overlooks with names like "Hawks Glide"]. Then there is the Skyline Scenic Drive - Desoto County Road 89. Side trips to Little River Canyon Falls and Desoto Falls. Guys, the roads were all well paved and the ride was even better than the route names. North Georgia is a great place to ride. But come on down (or up) to NE Alabama. It's worth the ride.

Sorry, no pics this time. The last thing I grabbed as I was heading out was my digital camera. Battery dead. :oops:

Let's see 504 miles at $0.28 per mile.... LIFE IS GOOD.

- Bill
A new "lifer" member
Much of Alabama is beautiful. The NE corner is astoundingly beautiful and twisty.
1MPH
Lifer

Post by 1MPH »

Man all that fun and get paid too. What a country!!!!
Jack
Mill Valley, California
2004 R1150R Piedmont Red
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

JC-I've been over there several times to that area. I love Mentone! ...and Desoto Falls Park. I have to agree with you on the area's charm. It's just a hop-skip-and a jump from here in north Gerogia.

I even have a few pics here somewhere....hold on....

Check back later. I have to upload.
MidlifeMark
Double Lifer

On behalf of all taxpayers everywhere....

Post by MidlifeMark »

On behalf of all taxpayers everywhere, let me be the first to applaud your selfless sacrifice of personal safety, comfort, and convenience for the sake of minimizing your impact on the roads, the environment, and the budget by selecting your motorcycle for this trip. Savings from the efficiency of your conducting an ad hoc enroute inspection of a representative cross-section of your state's roadway system only add to the benefit to the common good. You are truly a public-spirited citizen. Rest assured that subjecting yourself to the ordeal of near-suicidal physical risk, grueling discomfort, and annoying inconvenience does not go unnoticed or unappreciated. Feel free to give a copy of this testimonial to your boss and tell him or her that I think you deserve a bonus for your trouble.
Last edited by MidlifeMark on Sat May 07, 2005 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lifetime Member #84
1987 R80RT
1999 R1100RA
JCsman
Lifer

Alabama Ride

Post by JCsman »

Gee thanks MidLifeMark.....uhhhhh, I think.

One of the nicities of my job is the chance to travel all over the State. For example we have project(s) in the mill to extend Talledega Scenic Drive. The project in Mentone I already mentioned and we are studying a bridge replacement about 200 feet upstream of the Little River Canyon Falls are under my section right now too. Normally I travel with State or other Feds.

In this case the other Fed, our Bridge Designer, bailed at the last minute. That let the (too) rare chance for a linked trip across the best Alabama roads AND the opportunity to use the bike. I may have made it sound more like a boondogle than it really was. Despite that, it was great.

:D

But, since my boss has stated you need a "license in stupidity" to ride a motorcycle, I'll just leave your "testimonial" where it is.
MidlifeMark
Double Lifer

I'm jealous!

Post by MidlifeMark »

I'm jealous! My employer prohibits travel by motorcycle on company business. However they will let me fly myself & other employees if I carry enough insurance and put them on the policy.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lifetime Member #84
1987 R80RT
1999 R1100RA
wncbmw
Lifer

paid to ride

Post by wncbmw »

I too have been known to ride to a jobsite and get paid! It is wonderful ain't it? Last time, I somehow managed to include the Blueridge Parkway around Grandfather mountain on the route and believe it or not, that was actually the quickest way. :lol:

BTW, I got 0.30 cents per mile! :wink:
berliner
Basic User

Re: I'm jealous!

Post by berliner »

MidlifeMark wrote:I'm jealous! My employer prohibits travel by motorcycle on company business. However they will let me fly myself & other employees if I carry enough insurance and put them on the policy.
mine forbids too, but once I coukd convince my manager to allow it, I travelled on the weekends and the company paid the bill (,24 €/Km), and had a nice time.
12bar1
Lifer

Mileage Rate

Post by 12bar1 »

Sometimes I also get to use the bike on business trips :D . Next week I am going on a short trip and am planning to take the bike. Also the current mileage rate is $.405.
vintagecycle
Basic User

Post by vintagecycle »

You lucky bastidge! :smt019
Dan

'04 R1150R (Silver) Sold
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'81 Yamaha YZ125