Question about engine vibration

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

Question about engine vibration

Post by yjleesvrr »

Question to you K12R owners: How much engine vibration do you experience when you tach out the motor? I've read a couple reviews of the K12R that mentioned coarse vibes. Are these reviewers smokin' something, or have you noticed the same thing?
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

When I first got the KR it had a much coarser motor which since the updates has been rectified. Starts/idles and goes so much smoother, (perhaps the milage as well helps I've done a shade over 13K now). I'd have not said the vibration was worse than any I4 when you're going hard.

Certainly in comparison with a friends Blackbird, even he pointed out is was smoother...
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
Silverr
Basic User

Post by Silverr »

My experience has been that the higher I get in the rpm range, the smoother the bike feels. The only vibration I really notice in passing thru 6-7k rpm's, then it smooths out. I would say my bike loves the 7-10.5 rpm range the most. Also, version 6.1 software.
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

I notice a bit of vibration between 5-6K revs. I was not aware of this before the latest update was downloaded at last service, but I also notice the motor is much smoother overall and especially at idle than it was previously.

Damo
whiteknight
Basic User

Vibes Throughout the Rev Range...

Post by whiteknight »

...were horrendous at 6k rpm before 7.0. Now it's gone, but I do notice weird vibration/lash sound emanating from the gearbox or engine or the body work at around 2500 when I downshift comin' up to a light. I took out my earplugs the other day and really noticed it.

Otherwise, 3500 rpm is the smooth spot with 1400 miles on the clock.
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

Yong, my KS is perfect. It has no vibration anywhere, not even at idle.

Well, actually, that's not entirely true. It will vibrate slightly on hard gravel roads.

mac