Amazing Ride in N. California

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

toner87
Donating Member #: 0

Post by toner87 »

The unofficial Northern California chapter of r1150r.net had their inaugural spring ride today and, boy, was it a doozy! ERock, Ed K and Toner met up in Petaluma, CA this morning at around 8:30AM. Though Pat, Brit and others couldn't make it, they were certainly there in spirit.
Here are the pics:
http://cliffromig.smugmug.com/gallery/476483
I rode up from San Francisco, leaving at around 7AM. It was COOL this morning (about 45F) and I quickly pulled off before getting on the GG Bridge to put on my Turtlefur Baclava and neck warmer. My heated handgrips were barely noticeable in the morning chill and I was grateful I chose my lined Kilimanjaro jacket and lined Fieldsheer pants. I made it to Petaluma in about 35 minutes... Of course, I should have checked my email, as I thought ERock had said the Chevron station off the last Petaluma exit, but he'd actually said the parking lot of the restaurant next door, so I hung out for 15 minutes not knowing that ERock was waiting for me 15 yards away on the other side of a 6' fence... I had a cup of java and some of my wife's killer banana bread until I finally figured out where ERock was...Ed K showed up after a long ride from Pleasanton and by about 8:30 we were ready to roll. We blasted up for about 30 minutes to the Dry Creek exit and got on Skaggs Pt. Road and were a bit worried, as the first 10 minutes of our ride were spent at the speed limit behind a California State Trooper cruiser... Luckily he pulled over and, keeping our eyes on our rearviews, we slowly increased speed. Skaggs Point Rd. is like a well built roller coaster for motorcycles and the beauty of it all was that, except for one courteous cager who pulled over to let us pass, we had the road to ourself...
If you want a good description of the road, read it here: http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/SkaggsSpringRd.htm, I have nothing to add, except that Pashnit is right on... There just didn't seem to be a good time to take pictures, the road was just too good... Once we got to the coast we headed up to Gualala for brunch, arriving there around 10:30. After all the hairpins of Stewart Pt. road we were glad to get onto Rte. 1 and some speedy straightaways... I think we'll have to call Ed K "Fast Eddy" from now on...
Then beautiful riding down the coast through Jenner, Bodega Bay (Premium gas at $3.09 a gal. in Bodega Bay), Tomales and into Pt. Reyes, where we decided to have a soda and then detour to Lucas Valley Rd back to the freeway and home, as none of us really wanted to deal with the coastal route and the increased afternoon traffic. Again, luck was with us and we had the twisties of Lucas Valley Road to ourselves, pretty much... Home by about 3:30. Exactly 250 miles for me home and back. Loved the Sargent seat, but my legs were kind of stiff from yet another Poison Oak rash I got Mt. biking on Wednesday! Back to the doctor for a prescription first thing tomorrow.
All in all, a fantastic day and my Rockster was a real trooper hauling my bulk around. She seemed to appreciate the oil change I gave her yesterday... Enjoy the pictures!
T.
HEX42
Basic User

Post by HEX42 »

G'day Toner,

It must be terrific to be over the Winter and be able to ride again. It still looks a bit cool though. In all the photos, you all still had jackets on when you were off the bike.

The scenery and roads looks fabulous.
B
Ride safe & have fun!
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

What a great ride Toner...wish I could have joined you guys. Thanks for posting the photos.

Re : the poison oak...I feel for you. I get it bad but have had great luck with a product called Tech-nu. You can buy it over the counter at most major drug stores. It's a soapy mixture that you apply after exposure to poison oak. I apply it however both before and after exposure. Works every time for me.
rkdemay
Triple Lifer

Righteous!

Post by rkdemay »

Nice write-up and good pics. Thanks for sharing. Good to read about the pent up Beaksters gettin' out and about again.

Had a brilliant ride myself on Saturday. No pics but I'll try and throw a paragraph in later.

Ooooh. It's good to be riding again!

Cheers,

-rkd
Pat
Honorary Lifer

WOW!

Post by Pat »

WOW, Nice looking trio of bikes there! I still can't get over how handsome that Edition 80 is with System Cases (gotta move that American flag decal to the left case to be closer to correct though....).

Did you take that roller coaster of a road that is marked for "35 mph", at speeds in excess of FUN!?!?? And was there water streaming across the road with algae growing on the tarmac? Maybe it was too near the recent rains, and not enough warm sun to grow the algae yet.

My excuse for not joining ya.......?
Rich and I got a little caught up in some unexpected surprises while he was changing the oil/filter on his Aprilla, and I was putting my bike back together from Track Day (to include installing a center-stand). Our work carried over into the following early morning hours, and then I got involved in rigging up a second video camera mount (facing rearwards)......
Before we knew it, it was close to noon and Rossi was on Speed Channel.

We managed to do our own little Alice's Restaurant ("The Junction") before Rich and I parted company. We missed the Nor Cal Contingent ride with y'all Sunday, but I rode the new ST and the K1200S Saturday, and our bikes maintenance is now complete.
I'm running out of excuses Bob Brit', what's yours?
Member #31
toner87

Post by toner87 »

taosports wrote:What a great ride Toner...wish I could have joined you guys. Thanks for posting the photos.

Re : the poison oak...I feel for you. I get it bad but have had great luck with a product called Tech-nu. You can buy it over the counter at most major drug stores. It's a soapy mixture that you apply after exposure to poison oak. I apply it however both before and after exposure. Works every time for me.
Tao,
I did use TechNu afterwards, but still got nailed... I guess you've got to be super, super liberal with the stuff. I went to Kaiser this morning and got the prescription strength topical cortisone cream. The guys on this site know about my mt. bike wipeout in the Marin Headlands last August... Wiped out right into a patch of PO, so I had PO IN my road rash... That time I had have a tetanus shot and take a full course of oral prednisone....
Pat, there were wet spots on Skaggs, but, as far as I could see, there was no algae. Probably not warm enough yet.
T.
erock1150
Lifer

Good Time

Post by erock1150 »

Thank you Toner and "Fast Ed K" for a fun day. It was brisk in the morning but all in all great weather. This is a ride I could easily do again so just let me know. Toner great pix! Thanks for taking them I never have a camera with me so I’m glad you did. Ed K I tried to show you that blue was the fastest color but just could not keep up with you and that silver bullet. I was about to give in and say silver is the fastest but then we both got passed by that green thing. Looks like green is the fastest color after all.

Erock
toner87

Post by toner87 »

When that guy on the green rice-rocket passed me I had to look down to make sure I was still moving... I have to admit, he sure looked like he was "one with his machine". To be so secure, so confident, so f#$%! nuts!!
Britnheaven
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 246

Post by Britnheaven »

Toner,

Great report and pictures - looks like you all had waaay too much fun!

My excuse? Work. F^%$#@!#$&^&!K

I have been putting in 18 hour + days for the past week. The good news is the contract is now finished - so I am taking some time out this week (and off roading for 4 days in the Sierras at Kernville next Thursday).

I am so pizzed off I couldnt make Sunday. Glad you guyz had fun and also that the sun came out for yaz.

Bob
Bob the Madd Brit loose in CA....

Double Lifetime Member # 246
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

Wow, shades of Sept. 2002. It's too bad we lost the pics from the old board.
That is one great road you guys went on. :smt023
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Here ya go Dave.....

One of the pictures from our 2002's Magnificient Seven ride;
only thing missing is Manhawk's Poison Dart frog outfitted bike.

Member #31
chrisknuet
Lifer

Post by chrisknuet »

Man, I'm sorry I missed the ride - couldn't make it out on Sunday.

and good on ya for saying 'champing at the bit' instead of 'chomping..'
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

Looks like a fantastik ride.

Best thing I've found for poison oak is to swim in the ocean. Seems to dry up the oak about twice normal speed.

Also, if you hold the affected area under the hottest shower water you can stand (don't burn sensitive skin) the hystamines in your skin (which is what you itch to relieve/release) will be released very quickly, giving you both quite a rush & relief from itching for about 6 hours until your body builds up the histamines again. Works just about as well as any of the medication short of the shots.

Back in my field days as a land surveyor I learned alot about the oak.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Ed K
Lifer

Post by Ed K »

Hey Guys, I just noticed this nice write-up by Toner and Erock, and all the other comments.

It was a very nice ride indeed. Thanks to Erock for setting it up. And Toner for the great PICs and write-up. Great ride, great company.

Erock: as far as the Green Meanie is concerned. . .nope. . .not ready to concede yet! We had been moving at a pretty good clip for a good stretch through the curves, but had already slowed for quite a while at that point when Mr. Green cruised by.
Ed K
07 K1200S
Lifetime Member
kbc68
Lifer

Post by kbc68 »

Fantastic ride , really loved the photos,my R1150R will reach out that way someday !
2004 Silver R1150R abs

KeV !
toner87

Post by toner87 »

You've got a riding posse if you do come out. Just let us all know!
T.
morrie
Basic User

N. California ride

Post by morrie »

T.

Thanks for reinforcing my determination to ride that country again this summer.

Here in straight, flat, hot Florida preparations on the Roadster are well underway for the trip beginning in mid May. First to North Caroiina for a few canyon runs, and than on to S.F. Two summers ago I rode my RT all over those mountains. Hung out at the Four Corners a lot, Big Sur twice, braved thick fog along Rte one north of Sausalito, did wine country, Yosemite, gold rush country, Death Valley and still have a lot more to ride.

Please keep an eye on the place till I get there.

Morrie