Could this be the end of the tele-lever era

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

peril66
Basic User

Could this be the end of the tele-lever era

Post by peril66 »

I just saw this, it may be old news for some of you but i was struck by this being the second boxer in a row with a conventional front end.

http://www.motorradonline.de/motorraede ... #16-603320

personally i like the idea, i have been wanting to strap a Ducati frame onto a boxer drive train for a while.

So is the tele-lever finished or just in need of losing a few pounds?
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Could this be the end of the tele-lever era

Post by deilenberger »

Since BMW has continued it on the more expensive models - nope - not the end. Just a mistake IMHO on their part not having it on the new waterhead R12R..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

+++1 Don!
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Upside down forks are wulnerable.Ie.stone chipps,and dirth.Meaning seals.
Zenbob
Basic User

Post by Zenbob »

My first post #-o

No mention of telelever in the specs... just paralever.
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/ind ... &notrack=1

ZB
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

I do hope it's not the end, that front end was a major consideration in my purchase, I've not had a bike that handles as well.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

agreed with previous posts.

but its not US they're after as customers. we already have BMW's.

those who ride with it, love it. the rest of the world thinks telelever is weird LOL.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
peril66
Basic User

Post by peril66 »

I just wondered what people thought, i can take or leave telelever, its is a great setup and i like it on my BMW. would i want it on a Ducati, Triumph or a Harley, probaby not.

It does seem tho that BMW are aiming at a new breed of customer, the tinkerer/developer/customiser dare i say Rockers/Bikers i suspect most of us did some of that when we first started biking, i still do like plotting and planning my next modifications. I have been tinkering with mines setup and looks since i got it 3 years ago, its all part of the fun of owning a bike for me.
Others may want diferent things from bikes/biking and each to their own i say, bet there is a wealth or knowledge and experience among us though.

Does anybody here make stuff for their bikes? Maybe we should have a Custom Corner thread, with pics, idea sharing and some reports on how things turned out.

Ride safe everyone
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

peril66 wrote:Does anybody here make stuff for their bikes? Maybe we should have a Custom Corner thread, with pics, idea sharing and some reports on how things turned out.

Ride safe everyone
If you go back to early postings - lots of us modified things, added farkles, made stuff for our R1200Rs. Apparently not so much now that it's a "mature" bike. I'd love to get a 2014 - but moving all my custom stuff over would be a real PITA. Lots of wiring, some custom brackets/lights, suspension, seat (easy).. heated gear setup, GPS mount, etc. LOTS of stuff to move. Probably not worth doing since mine is happily chugging along without any drama (at 83,000 miles..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
lcarlson

Post by lcarlson »

I will probably purchase a 2015 R 1200 R or RS next spring (not sure which, I like both). I was sorry to see the demise of the telelever in this line, but it's not a deal breaker for me. My Ducati, of course, has a female slider fork and OUTSTANDING front brake, and I don't find brake dive to be an issue with that, so I expect it'll be about the same with the the new R/RS.

OTOH, my 12 year old R1150R (previously thought to be terminal) seems to be going strong, and really does everything I need it to do. I'm currently experimentally flogging it to see if I can get it to stop using so much oil (1 QT/1400 miles), and if that works, maybe I'll just keep it. All in all, not a bad set of choices.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

lcarlson wrote:I will probably purchase a 2015 R 1200 R or RS next spring (not sure which, I like both). I was sorry to see the demise of the telelever in this line, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
I'm thinking along the same line :D
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I think Don hit the nail on the head. Not the end of the telelever, but either a mistake or more likely a calculated decision on Motorrads part. They really need to go with a younger demographic that is more interested in style to make money.

I think suspensions have come a long way since the invention of the telelever and it is not a deal breaker for me either. I am pretty excited about the RS.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

I have my eye on the new RS as well. Most of us put large windshields or the Parabellum fairings on our bikes to get better wind protection. The RS already has that. The blue one looks sharp. I will need to take one for a test ride next year to see what it is like.

Roger L
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

My guess is BMW is basing the WaterHead R1200R USD (UpSideDown) fork conversion on sales of the RnineT and popular road testing magazine's positive reactions to it, WITHOUT CONSIDERING the negative impact it certainly has on the dedicated BMW rider family, like me. Yes, I did buy my F800ST without a TeleLever front end, but I definitely would NOT have chosen it if it had USD forks!! Why? After changing seals on dozens of these forks in my shop in NJ (before retirement) I became dismayed at their shorter service life compared to a conventional Aluminum slider fork. The change-over from conventional to USD forks for SportBikes was more driven by a percieved connection to "latest technology" factory racing machines than an actual, overall, street rider benefit, which is miniscule. Both USD and conventional forks can use sophisticated, fully adjustable, internal damper cartridges and both types can use large diamater, thin walled, very solid structural components. Properly designed conventional forks actually have less unsprung weight, weight that goes up-n-down with the wheel . . . . so where is the benefit? Sales! You are not 'cool' with those conventional old style forks. It very quickly became so UnCool that the Japanese manufacturers almost immediately did not invest in timely co-development upgrades of conventional forks.

For the BMW street rider the TeleLever fork assembly is absolutely superior in the long run, especially with replacement front and rear premium shock absorbers like Ohlins. When they sometimes leak after years of hard service, one or both fork seals can be changed without special tools. USD forks are expensive to repair when they leak and when a tube is scored/scratched it is very expensive! They not only get filthy easier, but are harder to keep clean. The phenominal success of the R1000RR chain drive USD fork equipped (Japanese clone) also told them a UDF chain drive BMW can perform and sell really well.

The only disadvantage of the TeleLever is zero or vague front tire feedback in corners, which was noted to be much improved on the all new WaterHead R1200GS. I am disappointed that BMW chose to cast off the TeleLever, its ONE true brilliantly engineered asset over its competition, rather than making the USD fork WaterHead R1200R a different model, like an R-twelveW.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

Concur with CycleRob and Don's comments. It's a shame the new LC_ R models lack the Telelever. Hope that it makes a comeback.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

well said cyclerob.

Its mostly about gaining NEW customers these days, not about retaining previous. this is true in most industries. and somewhat sad. But as far as mechanical changes, like telelever, and pumping water....two things that dont compute for me for the bmw boxer image i pined for for many years...well... "change is essential in order to survive" I guess..... :? ;) I'm sure Ill get over it, assuming the new bikes are reliable, they look pretty good.

new money better than old money... Hey... Ever try to get a problem fixed with cable or cellular phone service? no chance. But, if you're a potential new customer....red carpet. :lol: :evil:
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

oh, bugger.

Haven't been here in a while and this is the first thing I see. Sob. I was wondering whether the watercooled boxer would be a good reason to update, now my 2007 hexhead is 7 years old. Now I don't think I will update at all - and if I do, I will probably not buy BMW.

I don't care how far telescopic forks have come in the speed and handling department. They are still a fundamental compromise with the steering and suspension done by the same unit, and they transmit more stress back to the rider.

I love telelever because it's the best touring set-up I've had for the roads I ride. It soaks up bumps like no other. A long day on bumpy backroads (the only way roads come in Australia) is very tiring on any set-up, but the telelever is far less tiring than conventional forks. I chose the R12R for the boxer, shaft drive and telelever. Of the three, the telelever mattered the most - it was the main advantage for me over the F800 series.

I can't ride a GS - to short. I have no need of an RT - too heavy.

I will go down to my dealer and see about one of the last camheads, maybe. And I'll make sure he knows I may not buy BMW without telelever. There are other long-legged bikes out there in the right weight / power bracket, and at much more attractive prices.

bugger, indeed
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
peril66
Basic User

Post by peril66 »

Hmm..... some well considered comments here, as i said at the start i am completely on the fence with this and would still like a non-telelever on as well but at £11k i will have to build one myself :(
anyone London, Essex, Lincolnshire way sitting on a smashed boxer they would like to go to a good home???
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

peels wrote:agreed with previous posts.

those who ride with it, love it. the rest of the world thinks telelever is weird LOL.

That is very true..even after all this time, many times when I'm around other [non] BMW types. One of the first things asked is....[ pointing to it ] What's this do? "looks weird" I try to explain...then I get "why ain't it normal..like my Harley"......I just say gee I dunno.. ;)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

ron prior wrote:
peels wrote:agreed with previous posts.

That is very true..even after all this time, many times when I'm around other [non] BMW types. One of the first things asked is....[ pointing to it ] What's this do? "looks weird" I try to explain...then I get "why ain't it normal..like my Harley"......I just say gee I dunno.. ;)
"normal", as in parts-bin :)