HEATED GRIPS REPAIR

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

zackvis
Basic User

HEATED GRIPS REPAIR

Post by zackvis »

Just a quick heads up on heated grips repair .My left hand grip would not heat up any more so I deceided to investigate.Found I had power going to the grip but no heating taking place. Checked the resistance value of the grip coils and it was about 10k ohm far to high
so I cut the rubber hand grip off with a stanley knife (you have to be carefull not to go to deep )as you will damage the coil that looks like a printed circuit board .I looked at the solder joint where the wires are soldered on to the heater they look ok .I deceided to resolder them
in any case and checked the resistance of the coil it was now 10 ohm .pluged it in and it was working fine .mmm a dry solder joint.
I bought some open end dual density progrip 724 grips and put the large diameter (the one for the throttle side) on the left grip
using hairspray (which works very well)on to side it into position.
Now I have to buy another set to do the right side to match as I will need the large diameter on for the Throttle side as well.
These grips feel good and fit perfectly.
Saved myself a bucket load of money.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Re: HEATED GRIPS REPAIR

Post by MTBeemer »

zackvis wrote:Just a quick heads up on heated grips repair .My left hand grip would not heat up any more so I deceided to investigate.Found I had power going to the grip but no heating taking place. Checked the resistance value of the grip coils and it was about 10k ohm far to high
so I cut the rubber hand grip off with a stanley knife (you have to be carefull not to go to deep )as you will damage the coil that looks like a printed circuit board .I looked at the solder joint where the wires are soldered on to the heater they look ok .I deceided to resolder them
in any case and checked the resistance of the coil it was now 10 ohm .pluged it in and it was working fine .mmm a dry solder joint.
I bought some open end dual density progrip 724 grips and put the large diameter (the one for the throttle side) on the left grip
using hairspray (which works very well)on to side it into position.
Now I have to buy another set to do the right side to match as I will need the large diameter on for the Throttle side as well.
These grips feel good and fit perfectly.
Saved myself a bucket load of money.
And maybe some for others as well. Thanks
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Let us know how it works on the right side.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

This isn't a big surprise (cold solder joint) since they took the lead out of solder. The all tin stuff just isn't the same.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
zackvis
Basic User

Post by zackvis »

did the right hand grip last night was a bit harder to get off than the left side but everything went ok ,no issues
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

My luck was not so good.

The Excel Cycle Werks o-rings (to make the grips bigger) were good for awhile, but had become significantly loose, and are now much worse than stock because of the looseness. I took them off. I always liked Oilhead grips. I got two this morning, and went to remove the stock grips. I started on the throttle side.

Turns out that there's significant difference between the Oilhead heated grip assemblies and those on Hexheads. On the Oilhead, the heating wires are encased in a translucent sleeve that provides some protection for the wires. On the Hexheads, or at least my Hexhead, the heating wires are set directly into open spiral grooves that run around the throttle tube. The wires are very vulnerable to even gentle cutting of the rubber grips, and while I thought I was working carefully I still cut the heating wire (or, perhaps, it fractured from my pulling on the rubber) in two places. It's nichrome, of course, and can't be soldered with any equipment I have here at home. Even if soldering would work, the job would be impossible as the throttle tube, against which the wire is held pretty tightly, is made of plastic, and would melt and distort.

Sigh. This learning cost $140, ppd from Max. I guess I'll have another try at using the stock grips. If not, Kevin's idea of using the middle third of a Grip Puppy might work.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

I have a left heated grip off my 07 if anyone needs it, it was changed to match the right one that replaced a failed one, the rubber is worn(47,000miles)but the heat still works. Free to a good home if you pay for shipping and lunch.
ASK WHY
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

PM sent.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
zackvis
Basic User

Post by zackvis »

Acpantera wrote:I have a left heated grip off my 07 if anyone needs it, it was changed to match the right one that replaced a failed one, the rubber is worn(47,000miles)but the heat still works. Free to a good home if you pay for shipping and lunch.
hi
I would like it if you still have it as mine worked for a few days and stop working again .
I am in Australia so postage will be required .I will pay for that + put in extra for lunch for two .
Cheers
Zack
dbrick
Lifer

Post by dbrick »

Acpantera,

I've sent two more PMs, but they're just sitting in my Outbox here, without actually going anywhere.
Let's move this to regular email. I'm dbrick at cruzio dot com.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

PM's are working, ck your inbox
ASK WHY