reassure me on this...

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ControlFreakMike

reassure me on this...

Post by ControlFreakMike »

Hi
I have a 2004 Rockster w 7500 miles on it. Been reading this forum for a while but haven't posted much.
My question -
Yesterday I went for a ride, first one in about 3 weeks. Bike was unused the whole time, sitting on center stand. After a good bit of puttering around in traffic and slow moving I got to a clear stretch and hammered it to redline in 1st and 2nd because....well.... its fun. My buddy riding behind me told me that I made a pretty good puff of black smoke when I wound it out. I nonchalantly told him 'thats normal sometimes'. Now, I think I remember reading here that this blowing out of the soot is to be expected under certain conditions. I really haven't redlined it much at all since I've had it. The smoke stopped right away and of course the bike is running great, so I just need a little reassurance that all is well in Rock land.
Yahoo-Boy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Yahoo-Boy »

You're good. :smt023

Wind it out more often and it'll happen less...or so I've heard :wink:

Seriously, the best advice I was given (probably from someone on this board) DON"T BABY YOUR BEEMER!
"If you can't say anything nice, at least have the decency to be vague."
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I don't think you have anthing to worry about.

Your bike is new..it's not run in yet..it will use oil till it's run in.

You have a warranty...bring the issue up at your next service.

My bike's done about 20,000 miles and only just stopped using oil.

Keep a close eye on your oil level.

DJ
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

Controlfreak,

Do not, under any circumstances, baby this bike! Look at that motor for goodness sakes. It looks like half the motor in my Ford 8N tractor!!

Seriously, the unamious word on the street is to thrash the crap out of these motors - I'm constantly on the rev limiter - and having a ball. :shock:

jb
James Buzbee
There was a time when a man was free to make his own way in the world . . ..
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

YUP,,,ME TOO 8)
ride it like you stole it
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

ControlFreakMike......all the posts are right on..........also if you grab a handfull of throtle a bit of unburned gas black smoke will kust puff out of the muffler, but just for an instant.

The cleaning of the soot will puff out at intervals, when it becomes loose and is pushed out.......yes, get that baby to the redline now and again, she will thank you for it. :roll: :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
ControlFreakMike

Post by ControlFreakMike »

Thanks for the responses folks. It is quite amazing how this bike gets smoother and sweeter as each thousand clicks by. Mileage keeps improving too, with little/moderate oil consumption.
Mike