What are your Wunderlich Trophy fairing impressions?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

sandycruz
Basic User

What are your Wunderlich Trophy fairing impressions?

Post by sandycruz »

So far I think the Wunderlich Trophy fairing best represents the style set by the R90S. Two links below show examples of the Trophy and the original R90S.

I'm thinking the Wunderlich Trophy fairing would be a great addition to my R.

Most of my trips are less than 100 miles, with a once in a blue mood camping trip of up to 1000 miles.

On a good day, I'm 5' 8" after doing yoga for an hour.

Do you have a Trophy and what are your impressions of the fairing?

How tall are you?

http://www.modelersite.com/Feb2010/Engl ... 90_Eng.htm

http://ericrshelton.com/tag/r1200r/

Thanks for your help!
David Giannini
Santa Cruz, CA
'07 R1200R Black
'99 R1100SA Black
'93 900SS Red -Sold-
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Re: What are your Wunderlich Trophy fairing impressions?

Post by Snapping Twig »

I'm north of you in Pacifica. You're welcome to meet up with me and check it out.

I had the OEM sport screen, swapped it out for a CeeBailey and it was good - save for the turbulence and noise.

Got the Wunderlich fairing and it dropped the turbulence to my neck, cutting out much of the noise. Got a Schuberth helmet to eliminate that noise.

So far so good. I can communicate and listen to music, etc up to 70 mph.

No manhandling from the wind on my chest either.

PM me, maybe we could meet up somewhere, go up Bonny Doon, Redwood, etc.

Last edited by Snapping Twig on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanDan
Basic User

Post by VanDan »

I love mine! Not only does it look great IMO but it also the best screen I've used so far. It takes all the wind off my chest and there is very little buffeting for me personally.

I am 5'11-6'.

Quality is also top notch!

A few gratuitous pics ;)

Anyname
Basic User

Post by Anyname »

I like the Trophy fairing on my 2011. It's well made, the mounting brackets are well made and the paint is an excellent match. The photos in the instructions are not as good as they could be, but the correct assembly isn't difficult. I didn't think of this until my installation was complete, but I think that the turn indicator wiring could be routed so that the fairing can be removed without disassembling the turn indicators. There are connectors near the headlight that could be used instead of the ones in the indicator pods.

The airflow off the fairing is smooth and fairly quiet. I also wear a Schuberth and generally wear earplugs.
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

I'd have to agree with most of what has been said. I'm 5'9" and I've tried a few different configurations on different bikes over the years including the BMW Touring Shield and BMW Sport Shield on the R12R. The Wunderlich fairing is probably the best windshield/fairing I have used. Buffeting is minimal, which was one of my main considerations, and the finish matches well.

Bad points:

It doesn't cut as much wind as I would like, but it is well tolerable enough for longer rides without becoming too fatiguing. The trade-off is that a taller shield would produce more buffeting.

It is a bit loud but I always wear earplugs.

It costs wayyyyy too much.
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
zend
Basic User

Post by zend »

Surprising number of you NorCal / Santa Cruz area folks here. I miss that place. Are you guys aware that Wunderlich's US headquarters are in Watsonville?

I'm pleased to see the positive remarks on this fairing. I've had the "Classic" version of it on order for a couple of weeks. I'm hoping it shows up from Germany next week. The photos and comments are very encouraging.

Anyname - can you provide any additional info on the turn indicator wiring approach you mentioned? Be nice to have that info handy when I do my install. Thanks.
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

It's been a while since I did mine but I remember that there is extra lengths of turn signal wiring under the headlight "visor" that allows you to route the wiring as necessary.

Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
Anyname
Basic User

Post by Anyname »

badbs101 wrote:It's been a while since I did mine but I remember that there is extra lengths of turn signal wiring under the headlight "visor" that allows you to route the wiring as necessary.

That's basically what I was referring to. After I completed my installation I realized that if I had thought things through a bit more I might have been able to use the extra wiring to put the connectors somewhere I could reach them if I wanted to take the fairing off.
zend
Basic User

Post by zend »

Thanks for the info.

Coincidentally, my fairing shipped yesterday and will arrive tomorrow. Good timing for this thread.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I am 5'6"short,my wunderlich gives a good protection to up to my chin,head is in pure air.No or wery little buffeting.No air pressure on my chest.For mid long drives it should be ok.-for long stretches it might be not so good.I don't know,never did a loooong run yet.But it is my personal opinion only.But...if you look at R90S,is that a touring bike?Definitly not.Depend of purpeses what you want from your bike,dress her up according to your intentions.Up to you to evaluate.

Steve H.
zend
Basic User

Post by zend »

David,

I received and installed my Trophy fairing a couple of days ago. Here are some early notes and impressions:

- I'm somewhere between 5' 8" and 5' 8" so roughly your height.

- I rode about 50 miles today in a variety of wind/speed conditions.

- The screen does a respectable job of reducing / managing wind at lower speeds. It does not behave like a tall touring screen - it behaves like a really well-designed short screen. Wind pressure on the chest is substantially reduced. Wind is increased at about the neck. As others have said elsewhere, wind above the screen is not turbulent. That's an impressive feat but it's not remotely the same experience as sitting behind a large touring screen.

- At higher speeds, the effectiveness of the screen is reduced. At 70+ MPH, a substantial amount of wind hits my upper body. Subjectively, it still feels as if the screen is contributing to wind management, but the contribution is far less noticeable than it is at slower speeds. This just seem like simple physics - the volume of air at that speed is much larger than the screen is able to divert.

I may consider adding a Wunderlich Wind Deflector to my setup for longer rides / trips:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 4-025.html

My experience with this fairing is obviously very limited but I hope this was helpful.
rclbaker
Basic User

Post by rclbaker »

Just my opinion, but I don´t like the Wunderlich Trophy fairing. No harmony for me.

The 90S fairing is nice, suits the bike, especially in relationship with the lower handlebar. A real timeless statement with two additional clocks within it, nicely positioned.
Compared with that set-up, the handlebar of the R1200R is too high & gas tank too wide compared with the bikini fairing.

Rob
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

I think the bike looks pretty good with the Wunderlich but I can see your point. I think the bike probably looks best with the sport screen but my main concern was function.
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS