Is normal to expect a cleaning with a 7K service

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Is normal to expect a cleaning with a 7K service

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Brought my 09 (though purchased new in 2011) R1200R in for 7k service last week, and while this dealer had done other minor things to the bike previously, they have never done service like this. In the past at BMW Manhattan and other NY area dealers, my bmws have always been returned to me sparkling clean.

Not that it was filthy going in, but there was the usual grime on both wheels with the rear being the worst. Also the mud on the front fender that was there when I brought it in was still there and caked up a bit more when I received it. Again , nothing major and the work this dealer does seems to be top notch, but just wondering if a cleaning is to be expected on services like these?

Thank you.
1200bc
Basic User

Re: Is normal to expect a cleaning with a 7K service

Post by 1200bc »

The dealer I use normally washes the motorcycles after a service. Both BMW dealers where I live do.
I deliver mine to them spotless and ask them not to wash it after service. My thinking is that I do a better job of it and use cleaner sponges etc. so as not to scratch the paint and sport screen. When I needed service on a long road trip, one dealer wanted extra money to wash, and the other dealer(west coast) didn't wash, saying that some riders like to collect the dirt on their bikes??? I have a friend that has had a motorcycle shop for 30 yrs, excellent tech with a great reputation. He refuses to work on bikes brought to him if they are too dirty.
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

My dealers shop always returns the bike clean. It doesn't seem like they wash it if it doesn't need it. BMW has been very consistent in emailing me to fill out a survey after every service. It seems like my guys are bending over backward, and I almost always give them perfect scores.

For sure I am happy to let someone else clean my bike.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

My RR has only been to the BMW dealer in Indy three times and has never been returned washed.

My Harley has been to two different dealers once each. One dealer did not wash it prior to me picking it up. The other not only washed they did a complete detail of the thing, and it was only there for a 5,000 mile service (pretty much an oil change and cable/fastener check). I was a little concerned that they were going to charge me for it and when I looked at the service ticket there was no charge. I asked if I needed to pay and was told, no it's part of very service regardless of how small.

My impression is that it's a very dealer specific customer service outlook. We have my wife's Prius serviced at a dealer and they never wash it. My buddy has a BMW 5 series automobile and it gets washed at every service and the dealer that does the work provides a free Saturday car wash for folks that a new BMW there.
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

None of the dealers I've used (4 total) have cleaned the bikes after service. But I always try and at least hose my bike down before leaving it. I think dropping off a filthy bike is rude. I don't generally eat Oreos and broccoli before a dentist appointment either. ;)
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

When I worked as an auto mechanic I always took extra good care of a car that was taken care of, so whenever I bring my bike in I make sure it's clean.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Approx.5 months ago,I brought in my 2012 R12R,to the dealer at Ajax,ON to check the bike's vibration at idling.The mechanic Owen C.(a very nice guy and mechanic)cheked everything,plus test drove it.Smiling,he sas-I fund the problem...It got to be broken in.BTW the bike has had 5000mls on it at that time.He told me the bike is not broken in at all yet.I believe that scince I am not driving it hard.
I brought in my bike nice and clean,still he asked me do I want bike to be washed, they would do that-no charge.These guys are nice at Endras BMW motorrad =D>

Steve H.
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

At the BMW car shop washing is normal with service. Ever since I saw the wash crew lay their wash sponges on the gravel and break for lunch....I insist they DO NOT wash! my car.
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post by arp »

My dealer says you should wash a bike before bringing it in for service. Makes sense to me. I think it shows you respect your bike and the service technicians.
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

50 miles to dealer on my local roads at this time of year guarantee a filthy bike! And the same riding home again...
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

BigEasy wrote:I was a little concerned that they were going to charge me for it and when I looked at the service ticket there was no charge.
You mean they didn't bill you separately for it ;)
Marcin
Basic User

Post by Marcin »

Cleaning/washing :lol:
When my dealer did 6K service for me they didn't even bother to wipe off oil from the bottom of the cylinders when they adjusted valves.
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

Here is Los Angeles, I do not believe washing is normal. I believe washing cars and bikes at a dealership now requires all kinds of EPA regulations on water capture, so most have stopped doing it (except high dollar car dealers).
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R