Brake shudder/judder

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

ejute
Basic User

Brake shudder/judder

Post by ejute »

G’day All
I have a 2007 R1200R that I purchased earlier this year.
I’ve noticed that when I lightly apply the brakes the front shudders/judders, this vibration stops the harder you apply the brakes.
I have done some research via the internet on this and it appears to be a common problem.
It appears that a large part of the problem is the disk floating mounts?
Apparently BMW issued a service bulletin Ref 34 006 08(28) advising a new style of floating mounts.
Has anybody had experience with this?
This problem has been around for a good few years surely there is a tried and true fix?
What are the alternatives?
What about EBC disks?
Thanks
Mark
hankth
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Brake shudder/judder

Post by hankth »

I have an '07 that does the same thing. Not bad enough for me to ask the dealer to fix it yet though. I will be interested to follow this thread for sure.
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

My experience has been that pulsing brakes are caused by dirty rotors/pads. I find that a good day ride in the rain cleans the discs off and the pulsing goes away for quite a while. High mileage bikes might need to replace the 'rivets' or dots that locate the rotor. They do relax with age and allow excess slop in the rotor. Replacement is not too big of a deal.
rad
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by rad »

Later bikes with the problem appears to be a dirt issue. Those of us prior to the change in both the rotors and buttons can have a dirt issue also or warped rotors.....like mine does.

The service bulletin back in 08', or there about, that allowed the owner to get the rotor and button upgrade has run out. It is over $600 to do the upgrade yourself.

I have not decided what i'm going to do about mine.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

The brake shuder(wibration)definitly comes from rotors.IE.worn rotors,bended rotors (bad tire installation process)what you might be not avare,cince the "mechanik"installed the new tire on monday morning having the residue of alcohol from sunday evening,in bad mood+fight with wife over kids,etc.Mechanic in bad mood is the worst enemy for your pracious investment.He doesn't care.
Back to be on topic:rotor or installing screws.

best regards, Steve H.
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

Sure, blame it on the mechanic. I am a mechanic and I DO CARE. I don't get drunk or even have a wife.

The new brakes work by pad transfer from the rotors. A part of the pad adheres to the rotor. The brakes stop better with this arrangement. It took my new R1200R about 300 miles before the brakes really worked at their best which is awesome compared to any other bike. If the pad transfer gets blotchy, the brakes will not work right.

Cleaning the rotors may help get rid of your problem. Riding in the rain does seem to do it for me. Scotchbrite and some brake cleaner may do it. Use a non directional pattern.

Warped rotors will get worse as speed and braking force gets greater.

David
zackvis
Basic User

Post by zackvis »

After 35000 km,s my bike started the same problem .I web seached the problem and found something very interesting .I'm starting to think it is not the actual rotors but the bolts and speacial washer ,spring washer arrangements.On investagation I found that there was two
spring washers missing on the right side rotor.So after doing a bit of research I found that I was to blame for the problem as I tightend
the front axel to much with my last tire change as I did not have a tourque wrench ,by over tightening the main front axel bolt you put strain on the front wheel bearings in turn you put the but disc pads out of aglinement thus damaging the front rotor spring washers
I am replacing all the rotor bolts and washers this week and keep you guys updated .I hope this solves my problem .If I had any work done
that involves the removal of the front axel I shall make sure if it has been torqued to the right specs especially if someboby else has done the work.
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the torque on the front axle doesn't have any effect on the bearing loading. The bearings are ball type and the spacer only touches the inner race. This is not the same as when a taper roller bearing is used where shimming and preload are important.
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

I've had shudder also, on different bikes. I always replaced the pads with better quality ones and problem fixed.
May not be your issue, but I'd try that first.
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

David R wrote:Sure, blame it on the mechanic. I am a mechanic and I DO CARE. I don't get drunk or even have a wife.

The new brakes work by pad transfer from the rotors. A part of the pad adheres to the rotor. The brakes stop better with this arrangement. It took my new R1200R about 300 miles before the brakes really worked at their best which is awesome compared to any other bike. If the pad transfer gets blotchy, the brakes will not work right.

Cleaning the rotors may help get rid of your problem. Riding in the rain does seem to do it for me. Scotchbrite and some brake cleaner may do it. Use a non directional pattern.

Warped rotors will get worse as speed and braking force gets greater.

David
He could also try a bedding in procedure, which is kind of what you're getting at. Its basically a process where you slow from increasingly higher speeds until you either start to smell brake pad material or lose braking effect - You're basically adhering pad material to the rotor evenly. Do not stop fully while doing this, and ride around a bit to cool the pads and rotors before stopping the bike.

Its worth trying before replacing parts. You can google around for more info on the process. Please do it safely! :) Here is one linK: http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/bedding-i ... nd-rotors/
Member #1
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

What everyone else has said.

Mine were shuttering for a little while, some high speed heavy braking, something like what you'd do to bed in new pads seemed to help make it go away.

BTW, the 07' 12R doesn't have floating brake discs, at least from the factory so any info about issues with floating discs don't apply to us 07' owners unless they were added later on.
I still have the original rotors on my bike.
Get Lost!
zackvis
Basic User

Post by zackvis »

just a update
could not buy buttons or wave washers.just replaced rotors and put new pads.All's good now the bike stops much better and no more
judder ,it pays not to stuff around and just bite the bullet and do it. rotors + pads AUD $450,
Going to Superbikes on Phillip Island Aust. next week and do not want to have issues with my brake on the journey.