UK Advice

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Riverside
Basic User

UK Advice

Post by Riverside »

My wife might be getting a new job that would require us to relocate to Cheltenham England. I told her I would go as long as I can take my R1150R with me. Can anyone of our UK members tell me what rules/regs etc I must contend with to ship my toy to the UK for personal use? Also my wife 4 wheels of choice at this time is a 2013 Fiat Abarth... the US spec 160 HP version. She is considering taking it along to use and probably sell it there since only the 140HP version is available in Europe and the UK. Is there a website or something that would explain the UK vehicle import rules to do this?
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
MarkShelley
Basic User

Re: UK Advice

Post by MarkShelley »

Here is the UK Government advice
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Cheltenham is a very nice part of the UK.
To the East you have the quaint Cotswolds, to the West you have Wales, To the South you are only about 2 1/2 hours from Devon.
Cheltenham is probably most famous for the Gold Cup Horse Racing event. It is a very boozy event!
Riverside
Basic User

Post by Riverside »

Thanks Mark.... this was most helpful. Still waiting to hear if we will be moving. Just doing my homework in case it happens. Second interview coming up in two weeks here in the US. Looking forward to the adventure. Have been to London, Slough and the Midlands before.... Cheltenham will be new for me.
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
Matt
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Matt »

The 160hp Abarth is available in the UK, look out for a Abarth 595

http://www.abarthcars.co.uk/
Riverside
Basic User

Post by Riverside »

Good to know... it might influence whether or not we bring the Fiat. The local dealer told us it was not available in Europe at 160HP... (and yes I know the UK is not technically Europe). The 595 looks like a nice upgrade.... but why an automatic I wonder? Aiming at the US market of under 40 women only?
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
Ol' Jeffers
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Ol' Jeffers »

Hi! Agree that Cheltenham is a nice area.
Personally, I would sell the Fiat rather than bring it to the UK.
A left hand drive car is not too popular in the UK and especially if it can be obtained here with right hand drive.
It also affects insurance premiums and may double the amount you have to pay. I have driven left hand drive cars
here and it is NOT a pleasant experience.
Your bike will be fine though. You can drive it here for, I believe, six months before you're required to get
a UK registration. I hope this helps. Merry Christmas!!
OJ........everybody's pal!!