Anyone drop/crash their R12R whilst with BMW cases fitted?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Weider
Basic User

Anyone drop/crash their R12R whilst with BMW cases fitted?

Post by Weider »

So, I was wondering, how the BMW accessory panniers would fare in the event of a drop/crash?

Does anyone have any experience of such?

Thanks in advance!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Anyone drop/crash their R12R whilst with BMW cases fitte

Post by deilenberger »

Depends on the severity of the drop/crash.. and how the bike comes down. Mine have stayed on with more than one zero (or close to it) speed drop.. I thankfully haven't tested the other scenario. One plus for the bags is - combined with the cylinder heads - they provide a pocket of safety between them to some degree in a T-bone accident, or a low speed drop. Despite that - one can break an ankle in a low speed (5MPH) drop.. I'm gimping proof (hope to be back on the bike in 3 weeks or so..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
MIKE46
Basic User

Post by MIKE46 »

One of my panniers came off whilst I was travelling at about 60 mph, it bounced along the road for some considerable distance before ending up in the ditch. I presumed that it would be smashed but was amazed to find it undamaged apart for some scratching. I was able to refit it there and then and it is still in daily use. Looking back I am amazed that it was strong enough to still be in working order after such treatment.

The question to ask is why it came off in the first place, to be fair I suspect that it was because I had not fully checked that all the three mountings were fully engaged and that one had not clicked in correctly. No prizes for guessing that this is the first thing that I check whenever I have to refit the panniers.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I had two zero speed tip overs on my R12RT. My wife had one zero speed tip over and one 5 MPH tip over on the R12R. In all casses damage was limited to minor scratches on the cylinder protectors or crash bars on the R12R and the lower front of the cases. The BMW rubber protectors protected the area in question on the cases quite well.
Last edited by MTBeemer on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Wow do I have experience with this.
Parking lot roll overs will usually result in scuffs on the lower part of the bag, a good one will also scuff the ridge on the top of he bag. Just cosmetic and hardly noticeable.
Now the interesting ones:
I had a fence post come off a truck in Casper,Wy and land in front of me. Ran over it and destroyed both wheels. The right saddle bag came off, went over the guard rail and sunk in some river. The left bag stayed on but snapped the small bracket that comes out the back when the bag is latched on. Both were replaced.

Next set of bags: Going through a traffic circle (rotary) in Jersey I was hit on the right side by a driver entering the circle that was using his cell phone. The right bag took a good hit from his front left fender and the lid was cracked. The bike also fell on the left side and the left cover was severely scuffed. The bike has crash bars (engine protection bars) and the only other damage to the bike was a scuff on the Parabellum fairing and both mirrors. I'm sure the right bag saved my leg. Both bags were replaced because the dealer said that because that little bracket broke in the back they couldn't just replace the lids. I asked for the old bags (it took a while for them to 'find' them) and after a little research found you could buy the little bracket for around $10 and it just snaps in. So for $20 and a set of city lids I now have a second set of bags. BTW: The Parabellum had a deep scratch and cracked windscreen, it was replaced. The dealer was going to 'dispose' of it till I asked for it back. A new windscreen $50 a very little body filler and a new coat of paint and I now have a second $800 fairing. Moral: always ask for the old parts back.

Overall from my experience I would say the bags and mountings are extremely well made.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

deilenberger wrote:- one can break an ankle in a low speed (5MPH) drop.. I'm gimping proof (hope to be back on the bike in 3 weeks or so..)
Don, sorry to hear this... hope you are on the mend!
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

I've dropped, slid, and been hit with the cases on. They're often described as "bulletproof" for a reason. I've never had one pop off.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

Caught an edge trap while traveling under 30 mph. I had the bags attached with clevis pins. The pins bent and the brackets broke so both bags came off. The bike slid across the road and down a ravine into a brook. I found one bag down stream and the other one I think on the bank. The bags maintained their watertight integrity. But with the front latches broken they were useless. The bike was totaled. I had some scuffs on my Darien suit, but was unharmed.

In retrospect, I'm not sure the clevis pins were a good idea.

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I got bumped from behind and both the bike and I slid (seperatly) at not very high speed. I had to replace a cylinder head protector, and the panniers where unscathed. All the scuffs on my bags are from getting my boots over them...
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Yup, the BMW bags can take a beating. Countless drops and mishaps have proven to me they are stronger than one would think for being plastic.

Get Lost!
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Lost Rider wrote:Yup, the BMW bags can take a beating. Countless drops and mishaps have proven to me they are stronger than one would think for being plastic.

Finn,

You really should take care of your bike a bit better <vbg> ... btw, great pic!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

What? No chains?? :lol: :lol:
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
CosmeT
Basic User

Post by CosmeT »

Hey Wreider

My bike drop one time because I did not engage the first gear when I tried park on side stand on a leveled road.
Then left valve head was a little crash, left tail directional light cover broken and two perceptible smash on left hand bar and handle rear.

Guys be calm when park your bike on side stand, do not forget engage the first!
To me a very sad experience on a brand new bike, later I bought the valve head cover protectors.

Cheers,
Cosme Tome
Tamarac, Florida
wayneosdias
Basic User

Post by wayneosdias »

Not a drop but, forgot had the bags on and pulled around a guy in traffic where the R bag caught his bumper. Nearly ejected me from the bike, cracked his plastic bumper, not so mush as a scratch on the bag and stayed on just fine.

Wayne
H1Alpha
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by H1Alpha »

I had a low speed crash (reported here several months ago, accident occurred august 6th), and upon impact with the road surface, the right oem BMW case popped off of the moto. The good news is that the BMW case created a safe zone for me. I only sustained a bit of road rash and bruises.......the moto was deemed totaled by my insurance company.
Rich
2012 R1200 RED
2011 R1200R Classic-Total Loss/Accident
atractaspis
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1059

Post by atractaspis »

Dropped my bike just recently. After crossing the Mississippi with a ferry I thought I could quickly turn my bike around in a sandy Parking lot with an incline and take a picture of the ferry while still on the bike. Well I was wrong. The bike apparently follows the laws of physics and fell. Scratches on lids of my left bag. Nothin major.. Was surprised it didn't do more damage... Bike was fully loaded with camping gear and other stuff for a long trip.

Mostly my ego get hurt and I felt like an idiot for trying to do a quick turn around with one hand while taking a picture with the other. Since bike was laying hill down I wasn't able to pick it up.. Was trying still when someone came along and helped me. And then told me I should not travel alone on a bike as a woman.. Well I shouldn't really be riding that far as a woman.. So that didn't help me feel any better about the drop.

Only other damage besides scratches where scratches to tank from my riding gear (zipper) when I tried to save the fall. And in my hurry to get away from there I left my camera laying on my saddle bag... Never found it again :(

I used some silicon spray on saddle bag. Can't really see the scratches anymore now :)
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

atractaspis wrote: Was trying still when someone came along and helped me. And then told me I should not travel alone on a bike as a woman.. Well I shouldn't really be riding that far as a woman..
Sounds like a Harley rider, but he (I assume) did help. Truth is I can't pickup a fully loaded R1200R and I imagine that goes for many of the GUYS on this list. Keep on keeping on, it's the 21st century and we even let women vote now.

Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

mogu83 wrote:
atractaspis wrote: Was trying still when someone came along and helped me. And then told me I should not travel alone on a bike as a woman.. Well I shouldn't really be riding that far as a woman..
Sounds like a Harley rider, but he (I assume) did help. Truth is I can't pickup a fully loaded R1200R and I imagine that goes for many of the GUYS on this list. Keep on keeping on, it's the 21st century and we even let women vote
Wow. We are allowed to vote? ;). Thanks Harry for the nice words.

I did go on another 2000 miles after that. All on my own. :)

As you said bike was too loaded up (wanted to experiment how much I can get on it. Apparently enough to survive a month a in the wilderness :) ) and it was laying on a downhill slope with nothing to grab on to besides handle bars.

Will post pics of before and after scratches
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

Before drop:

After drop: (now scratches are nearly invisible after spraying bags with silicone spray)
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

After drop: (now scratches are nearly invisible after spraying bags with silicone spray)
Image[/quote]

Thats not so bad, gives the bike a "traveled" look. Traveling alone as a man I get some folks telling me its to dangerous, I just chuckle and tell them not as dangerous as unsolicited advice.