Buying a BMW 1150 Rockster

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Rider36
Basic User

Buying a BMW 1150 Rockster

Post by Rider36 »

Hi All,

I'm needing some feed back regarding a bike I'm interested in. Interested in an '03 Rockster with 30k. There are a few cosmetic things, gas tank has a dent (paint not cracked, no rust) scratches here and there for it going down at low speed. Mechanically there is only one real issue; the starter. Might only needed to be cleaned. How much and would it be hard to install?

Valued at $4500-$4700. He's asking $4000. Does anyone feel good about the price of $3700? With the starter and the dent I would started much lower.

The owner is a friend of a friend and he takes great care of his bikes (dent and other scratches were from previous owner).

Test drove it over 50 miles on all roads. Love how it handles. Good fit for me. Need some feedback. Hopefully and BMW owner very soon.

Thanks
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: Buying a BMW 1150 Rockster

Post by Buckster »

Fair price at 4K. $3700 is a fair offer although I would try $3500 as the tank and the starter are very expensive to replace.
Buckster '03R
Hunter
Basic User

Post by Hunter »

Rider36, FWIW, there seem to be a lot of Rocksters on the market in the US and cash is, of course, King. I picked min up on E-Pay for $5200, 10k miles, pretty darned pristine condition, 2nd owner, never down. Sargent seats and 2 extra factory seats, bags, fork mounted running lights, carbon fiber front fender, LED brake light blinking system, GPS. Needed tires. That was it. So one that's been dropped seems to lose a lot of value in my opinion. I say either get a smokin' deal on that one or hold out for something cherry for a few more bucks. But that's just me...... Whatever you do, you're surely gonna love the ride. H
Grandpa ripper
Basic User

Post by Grandpa ripper »

Was it in Walla Walla, WA?
I bought that one with a Canadian speedo. So far, an damaged eBay instrument binnacle for $50 supplied a US spec speedo that worked perfectly!
I am hoping to have a paintless dent removal dude fix the tank dent.
Flatted the rear tire on the first 4 mile ride!

Looking for a small windscreen. Any ideas? Wunderlich and Laminar Lip speed screen seem like all that is out there.

Has anyone used the Wunderlich lower wind blockers that mount between the cylinders and the oil radiators?
Lob
Basic User

Post by Lob »

I have the Wunderlich screen and it's not bad, it gives some protection.

I find myself completely undisturbed by wind on my legs. Unless I'm wearing shorts and flip-flops, of course.