Squeaking noise when starting

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

brico
Lifer

Squeaking noise when starting

Post by brico »

lately I've noted that when i start my bike in the morning I can hear a squeaking noise as if something is rusty? What can it be? Is it the alternator belt? Bike runs well and this noise only comes when it is started after a prolonged (few hours no running) stoppage. what can it be? is it easy to check the alternator belt? if it is the belt, what can be done about it?
yuhajan
Basic User

Re: Squeaking noise when starting

Post by yuhajan »

I think the alternator belt should be the reason. Just changed mine but after 100k KM. Lucky me it doesn't snap. :)
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Does the squeaking noise stop once you take your finger off the starter button?
If it does then it could be a dirty starter which needs to be cleaned.
See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21405&hilit=starter+noise
Easy enough job to do yourself.
Just make sure you disconnect the battery before touching the starter.

Ian
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
brico
Lifer

Post by brico »

The squeaking noise actually starts when the bike is running idle for the first 15-30 seconds. Sounds as if something is rusty. Not sure what this is but after i take off, the sound goes off. Every time i start the bike cold i use the choke lever to start the bike and ride with it for a minute and then I push it back. I also noticed that even with the choke lever puled (when I start it cold) red battery light remains on until I twist the throttle once after which it goes off. I am concerned with the squeaky noise and am wondering if there is something I need to do to make it go away....
grwrockster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by grwrockster »

Just a guess.... how about the squeak coming from a worn pushrod bearing in the clutch slave cylinder? If it is the slave bearing, then it'd be a good idea to swap out the slave before the thing fails altogether.

I have it in my head that Riceburner reported a similar noise on his bike, and the slave bearing was the culprit.

RB - are you out there, and can you add anything?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

brico wrote:The squeaking noise actually starts when the bike is running idle for the first 15-30 seconds. Sounds as if something is rusty. Not sure what this is but after i take off, the sound goes off. Every time i start the bike cold i use the choke lever to start the bike and ride with it for a minute and then I push it back. I also noticed that even with the choke lever puled (when I start it cold) red battery light remains on until I twist the throttle once after which it goes off. I am concerned with the squeaky noise and am wondering if there is something I need to do to make it go away....
Does the noise start up the instant the bike turns over, or is the bike quiet for a few seconds, then the noise starts?

Where is the noise coming from? (start the bike, then get as close as you can and move your head about slowly to work out exactly where the noise is coming from - move around the bike a few times doing this until you can be certain it's coming from a certain place.)

There are various causes for an engine speed "squeak" when the bike is stationary.
Alternator belt slipping
Clutch push rod bearing seized
Clutch slipping
Clutch push rod/pressure-plate interface dried up - if this interface seizes the pressure-plate's 2 components will spin at different speeds and create a god-awful amount of noise.

You haven't told us how loud this noise is - does it challenge the bike's engine note for volume?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

Is it the LH cam chain tensioner? That was redesigned along the way, the early ones were noisy at startup. I had to replace mine on my '02 R1150R, made it much quieter on startup.
tealcosmo
Basic User

Post by tealcosmo »

I have this same problem.

The engine ie quiet for a moment and then it starts squeaking for a little bit at low RPMs, it doesn't sound good. It goes away pretty quickly when I pull out and doesn't come back again. The noise for me is fairly loud, and it sounds like it's coming from pretty low down on the frame.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

tealcosmo wrote:I have this same problem.

The engine ie quiet for a moment and then it starts squeaking for a little bit at low RPMs, it doesn't sound good. It goes away pretty quickly when I pull out and doesn't come back again. The noise for me is fairly loud, and it sounds like it's coming from pretty low down on the frame.
Can you be more accurate about where the noise is coming from? 'low down on the frame' isn't enough. Is it front of engine? behind the cylinders?, left/right side? Is it a 'screech' or a whine?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life