Loris - Italian Rockster :)

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

loris199
Basic User

Loris - Italian Rockster :)

Post by loris199 »

Hi guys, it's been a while since i registered here (6 months i think..!!!)
first message for me, a little bit late but... :mrgreen:
My name is Loris, 34, i'm from north Italy and i'm a lucky owner of the bike in the picture.
I purchased my Motorrad with 21.000km, 1 previous owner, nice conditions and Remus Revolution exhaust with removed kat.
This is my first bike, a friend suggested me to buy this beast even if my true love was a 2001 Speed Triple 8)
What can i say? I LOVE the bike, easy to ride, mountain roads killer, passenger has a good place to stay, and torque and sound are unique!
Right now my modifications consist in a shorter GS lever (365mm) that increased a lot the agility of the bike, and a modified eeprom that gave some smoother power delivery at low rpms.
I bought a couple of Ohlins shocks (waiting to be delivered...) and can't wait to the spring to come and have some fun :)
I'm also thinking about a new exhaust system (i LOVE the complete Laser Hotcam, i saw that somebody on this board has got it so i will ask for some more infos :mrgreen: )
That's my bike, pic taken last winter (you can see the number plate modification in progress, i'm mounting the R1200S to have a lighter tail section...)
Cheers!
Hope to have some fun here!
Ciao

Loris

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Loris - Italian Rockster :)

Post by riceburner »

Welcome Loris!

Nice looking bike. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
grwrockster
Lifer

Post by grwrockster »

Nice bike Loris. You're a lucky guy, living in N.Italy. I've ridden through the region twice (last time back in September) and so far it's my absolute favourite place for the scenery, roads and biking in general. I reckon the Rockster is an ideal bike for those fantastic mountain roads!
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Hi Loris,

welcome to the club with your nice looking bike. Looks like it is parked in your living room!

Where about in North Italy do you live? Me and a couple of friends will be going to North Italy and Austria next year in July (Torino, Biella, Lake Como and Meran then onwards to Austria ...

Best regards
Oliver
loris199
Basic User

Post by loris199 »

:D guys thankyou for you welcome messages!
to "answer" to grwrockster and omg1010, well i must admit that speaking about twisty roads we're quite lucky here in Italy :mrgreen:

i live in a region called "Friuli Venezia Giulia" (45.882361,13.518677 for the Google Maps lovers :mrgreen: )
my region boardes on (hope this is the correct verb 8-[ ) with Slovenia (east) and Austria (north)
i live not far from the famous Zoncolan montain (the toughest bike stage in the "Giro d'Italia" bike race, and probably the hardest here in Europe)
my first ride with other bikers was on this moutain (2 days after i bought the bike... [-o< a fantastic experience :D )
my region is so famous for the white wine we produce and export worldwide
this summer i made a trip in the center of Italy (Tuscany, to be more precise), since i attended to a Ducati GT1000 meeting (my friend is a Ducati GT owner) and over there i must admit that the mountain roads are awesome!!!
Muraglione, Passo del Giogo, Raticosa are the most famous roads there, roads where people like Melandri, Capirossi and Rossi have burned tires before becoming world champions
and the cool thing is that, after we finished the last hillclimb, just relaxing and admiring the scenario, well...i looked to my right and...."Autodromo del Mugello" :mrgreen: 8) so cool
btw, my bike sleeps always in my house's garage, never left her outside :)

guys, if you plan other trips here in Italy (like omg1010) let me know :D
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Loris, no doubt you are living in a gorgeous area which is famous also for mountainbiking among many other activities and things. It is a blessing and a privilege to live in such an area.

Our planned trip will be interesting. Our 3 bikes will be going to Torino airport by truck and we will fly there. The we drive to Biella (to visit the Cerruti factory 8) and to get rid of some money). There is also some nice touring around Biella. Then we'll move on to Sondrio via lago di como and do some touring there. Then onto Merano and again some touring. Next to Lienz in Austria and touring. Finally via the Grossglockner street (which is absolutely spectacular) and Kitzbuehel to Munich and further on back home to Frankfurt ...

Sorry for intercepting your thread. Again, you have a very fine bike!

Brgds
Oliver
loris199
Basic User

Post by loris199 »

Oliver!
Since my father's friend (ex R1150R, now R1200RT) goes very often to ride on the Grossglockner street and always talks to me about how cool it is, i'm so curious to see how with my eyes :mrgreen:
So let's keep in touch and maybe next year we'll ride some kms togheter :D
Hopefully sunday i'll be near Venice to pick up my new Ohlins shocks [-o< 8) :mrgreen:
But i'm looking forward to find this beauty:

i'm in love with that exhaust :roll: :| :mrgreen: [-o<

well, guys, have fun and drive safe!!!

Loris :D
Boxerpunk
Basic User

Post by Boxerpunk »

loris199 wrote:But i'm looking forward to find this beauty:

i'm in love with that exhaust :roll: :| :mrgreen: [-o<
This beauty is a dutch bike, made by van Harten in Amersfoort, a BMW-dealer well-known for his specials and racing
http://www.vanharten.nl/index.php/van-h ... ls-r-serie

The exhaust also is a dutch product: Laser
http://www.laserexhausts.com/Bikes/Cata ... eType=Bike
Greetz, Erwin

2003 Rockster Full Black
loris199
Basic User

Post by loris199 »

thanx for the links Erwin :D
yep, i'm searching the Laser Hotcam to install it on my bike!
it's pretty hard to find, since the United States dealer doesn't ship to Europe and here prices are quite expensive (considering that together with the complete exhaust you need also an EPROM "ad hoc")
i've found something in a dutch forum but the user sold it 1 year ago...

i heard about Van Harten since he's pretty famous in BMW tuning; his bikes are really cool, expecially the R1200S's (i love this bike, i was also thinking about getting one and turn it into a naked :mrgreen: )
the Rocksters are simply AWESOME! what a bike...
damn, i was thinking about trading mine for a Superduke 990R...what a stupid i would have been!!! [-X
btw, thankyou for the links and if you hear somebody that wants to sell his Hotcam... :mrgreen:
cheers!!!

Loris
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Loris,

if you are looking for an aftermarket exhaust you could go for the lasers or for a hungarian company called BODIS. The European distributor for BODIS is a German company (http://www.rennkuh.de). Check out some photos: http://www.rennkuh.de/verkauf

They have these exhausts for all 1100/1150/1200 models. Available both in stainless steel and titanium (titanium being very expensive!). I have the stainless steel version on my bike and it cost me around 1100 euros. Check out my photos https://picasaweb.google.com/1003408169 ... ldeckelNeu

I wouldn't get the R1200S if I was you. Get yourself the R1200R and get it tuned. In Germany we have 2 companies who have developed a "big bore kit" which - with a couple of other modifications turns the R1200R into a beast with 130 HP / 140 NM. One company is called Roesner & Rose (http://www.roesnerundrose.de/2010/12/bigbore-kit/) and the other one being Rehcing (http://rehcing.com/motorrad/tuning/bmw- ... g-r1200rgs).

Stay in touch!

By the way that dutch beauty looks great!

Brgds
Oliver
Boxerpunk
Basic User

Post by Boxerpunk »

Loris, what price do you have in mind ?
I don't know what the prices are in Italy, but I could look around here.
Greetz, Erwin

2003 Rockster Full Black
loris199
Basic User

Post by loris199 »

@Oliver, thanx a lot for your links!
your bike is simply awesome, i'd like to know how did you manage to install the 1150 engine in your bike (expecially if you've done the job by yourself!)
i'm pretty sure you've opened a proper discussion about that, let me know =)

speaking about the R1200S, i thought about her since you can find almost brand new bikes (less than 10k km) for 6500/6000 euros (let's say less than 9000 USD for the american friends :D )
and i speak about bikes with the Ohlins suspensions installed
considering that (here) an used R1200R goes from 8000 up, it would be great to have a naked S that comes (stock) with 120HP (more or less...)
my plan would be to take off the fairings, install a "naked" handlebars and modify the tail section using a single side lateral exhaust...but these are only dreams 8)
maybe i've seen too much Stellan Egeland pics :mrgreen: :lol:

@Erwin, well here the complete system (collectors, silencer and dedicated eprom) goes at 1100 euros, more or less
i've found something used on a forum discussion in a big dutch forum, but it was more than 1 year ago, at that time i didn't own my bike
i know a guy who has the collectors and maybe he could sell them, but as you can imagine, it would be very difficult to find the Hotcam exhaust (Duotech is easier to find, Hotcam is pretty "rare"...) and the eprom as spare parts.
i tried on ebay (german, italian, dutch, USA...) nothing
there's an american site that sells the system for about 1000 bucks, but...no shipping overseas... :-k :roll: :(
i hope that some dutch Rockster riders will get bored of their Laser exhausts and will trade them for my Remus :mrgreen: :lol:

thankyou again guys!!! i really appriciate your comments/suggestions...

:D
Boxerpunk
Basic User

Post by Boxerpunk »

Greetz, Erwin

2003 Rockster Full Black
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Hi Loris,

I did not install a 1150 engine (like Clinton said "I did not have sex with that woman ..."). My bike is a classical R1100R. However highly modified. It has

- R1150 cylinders
- HC pistons
- optimized heads
- optimized piston rods
- BODIS exhaust
- VOLAIR
- big "snorkel"
- modified intake manifolds
- aftermarket chip
- aftermarket camshafts
- modified wheels (180 rear)
- R1150R telelever
- R1100S fork
- Ohlins rear, Wilbers front shock

And many other things. Next week my bike goes to the local workshop for hydraulic clutch actuation. It's not over yet ... :mrgreen:

Brgds
Oliver
loris199
Basic User

Post by loris199 »

Erwin, your help is really precious for me!!! thanx a lot, i've written some emails and now i'm waiting for the replies :D
a bottle of wine is waiting for you :mrgreen:

Oliver, maybe you didn't have sex with her but she seems so pregnant :lol: :lol:
Wow, your bike has lots of modifications, and when i read that you also installed the 180 tire i thought that here in Italy those kind of modifications are quite hard to be performed since it is almost impossible due to bureaucracy!!!
reminds me an R1100GS with the 1200 engine that i saw somewhere in an italian forum...really a great job!!!
Again, congratulations for your inventive and willingness, awesome job :D
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Loris, thanks a lot! Installing the 5.5" rim and the 180 tyre was a big mess even here in Germany. But I got it even registered in my motorbikes papers.

With regards to such modifications please find an interesting link here http://www.technical-arts.de/index.php? ... y&catid=41

This is a gentleman from Bonn/Germany who has implanted the R1200 engine into the old R90/6 bike ... That is one hell of a job!

Brgds
Oliver
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

With regards to such modifications please find an interesting link here http://www.technical-arts.de/index.php? ... y&catid=41
This is a gentleman from Bonn/Germany who has implanted the R1200 engine into the old R90/6 bike ... That is one hell of a job!
Oliver - noticed that he has added a new project: the R1100 motor in K1100 frame. That gentleman does amazing work! He remains my primary inspiration for a project bike of my own, when time and resources allow.... in the mean time, I am collecting parts.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Couldn't agree more. The work he does is awesome and stunning. You need to come over and have a "talk fuel" with Chris!

Brgds
Oliver
loris199
Basic User

Post by loris199 »

uhhhh summer is coming... :mrgreen: 8)
Last edited by loris199 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loris199
Basic User

Post by loris199 »

got it 8)

complete system (some bumps and scratches on the manifolds due to their really low positioning and to the bad conditions of some italian roads...) and 2 Hotcam mufflers (one in not good shape, the other in really good conditions)
now it's time to spend some time to polish it and try to understand if it is possible to repair the "bumps"
i'll post some pics so you can give me some advices :mrgreen: