so, i'm riiding around in a cut off sweat shirt...

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

goo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

so, i'm riiding around in a cut off sweat shirt...

Post by goo »

... thinking,
if they made 'the great escape' today,
steve mcqueen would most likely be on an r1200r.
btw, steve would have turned 80 on march 24th.

http://www.mcqueenonline.com/thegreatescapetriumph.htm

Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Re: so, i'm riiding around in a cut off sweat shirt...

Post by Lost Rider »

And this has what to do with the BMW R1200R how? :-k

You know theres a section of the forum for this kind of thing, called Off Topic.
May I suggest you post your interesting motorcycle related finds over the instead of clogging up the 1200R forum dedicated to the "general ownership" of the BMW 1200R motorbike.
Have a nice day!

http://r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=8
Get Lost!
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

Herr Obersturmführer ChiTown has spoken ! :lol:
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Hey, I can't be any more polite in pointing out the obvious now can I? :lol:
Maybe some people don't even know there's other parts to this site...

Now quit fooling around and get me shots from the service manual to fix my bike! [-o<
Get Lost!
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

goo wrote:... thinking,
if they made 'the great escape' today,
steve mcqueen would most likely be on an r1200r.
btw, steve would have turned 80 on march 24th.

http://www.mcqueenonline.com/thegreatescapetriumph.htm

Pay the nay sayers no mind. I did not think it was out of place at all. It quite clearly has R1200R content.
I think it is bad buisiness to alienate newer posters.
My two cents.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

I think its bad business to post obvious off topic posts in this forum. Goo seems to be filled with what some might find interesting yet by no means on the topic of r1200r ownership, like THIS forum is about. That's why theres different forums on this site.
I feel it will alienate new potential member to come in here looking to find pertinent info or opinions about the BMW 1200R only to keep finding posts that have nothing to do with it at all.
Obviously I haven't been around much, been too busy out riding instead of just talking about it, but when I do come in here I see a rapid decline of the quality of this board. Way too much banter with little substance. This is not a social network to just post random thoughts about poo that has noting to do with our bikes.
I like to BS, and chew the fat as much as the next guy, but is it too much to draw the line somewhere and at least try and stay on reasonable topics in the correct forum? Really?
Like I said, maybe some of the new guys (who haven't even donated to the board) didn't know theres a place for all they want to BS about different bike related topics.

Funny how you, Mark, have time to call me a naysayer or post have assed comments, but not to help out another member like the guy needing to know what size tool for his handlebarl, or me needing some screen shots from the service manual.
Way to contribute. =D>
Get Lost!
blueviewlaguna
Basic User

Post by blueviewlaguna »

This is about the only exclusive R1200R forum around - off topic posts will ruin it. I am sure the original poster had good intentions, but this post belongs in the off-topic forum.

The forum structure is the very thing that makes it useful, otherwise I could Google R1200R and pick through the mess that follows.
Member# 893
dhgeyer
Basic User

Post by dhgeyer »

Did you guys read the website that the OP's link pointed to? It explained that, in the movie "The Great Escape", they couldn't use existing BMW motorcycles because they weren't up to the task, and so they dummied up Truimphs to look like BMW's. The OP then went on to say that, if the movie were made today, they would probably use R1200Rs.

Apart from being an interesting point, and bit of history, it was tied directly in to the R1200R specifically. He's probably right, too. The R1200R is the most retro looking BMW made. While it doesn't look like a wartime BMW, it does look more like one than a Triumph ever could. And, this would be especially true if they took the same trouble to make modifications to the R12Rs that they did to the Triumphs at the time.

If you set a standard that says posts here must only have content that directly and exclusively concerns the R1200R, then you would have to eliminate a lot of posts that do concern the R12R, but in contexts that compare it to other bikes, riding situations, and so forth.

If, on the other hand, you accept posts that have R1200R related content as it pertains to related subjects, then the OP in this thread is absolutely acceptable in my view.

Rather than attack the original poster, do you have any thoughts about his basic premise that the R1200R is the most suitable bike available today to shoot the scenes in "The Great Escape"? I think that would be a more suitable response.

Is this topic any less R1200R specific than:
1. Bike laptop ?
2. aerostich vs motoport
3. have a great trip
4. Who has my vanity plate?
5. Ride-On Tyre (Tire) sealant
6. carrying a hand gun?

If this discussion is needed, why start it in this thread?

Also, apart from being poor manners, if you really feel that this topic is clogging up the board, then starting an argument about it is also poor tactics. It only assures that there will be responses, which will keep the topic near the top of the board. Not responding at all would have made it more likely that the topic would simply fade to the bottom and off the first page in a relatively short time.
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

Mein Gott!
Was ist los mit diesem Gespräch ? :mrgreen: --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08dCxoD ... re=related
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...
dhgeyer
Basic User

Post by dhgeyer »

FredeR1200Ric wrote:Mein Gott!
Was ist los mit diesem Gespräch ? :mrgreen: -->
Gar nichts, meinen freund.
gezerbike
Basic User
Donating Member #: 775

Post by gezerbike »

dhgeyer wrote:Did you guys read the website that the OP's link pointed to? It explained that, in the movie "The Great Escape", they couldn't use existing BMW motorcycles because they weren't up to the task, and so they dummied up Truimphs to look like BMW's. The OP then went on to say that, if the movie were made today, they would probably use R1200Rs.

Apart from being an interesting point, and bit of history, it was tied directly in to the R1200R specifically. He's probably right, too. The R1200R is the most retro looking BMW made. While it doesn't look like a wartime BMW, it does look more like one than a Triumph ever could. And, this would be especially true if they took the same trouble to make modifications to the R12Rs that they did to the Triumphs at the time.

If you set a standard that says posts here must only have content that directly and exclusively concerns the R1200R, then you would have to eliminate a lot of posts that do concern the R12R, but in contexts that compare it to other bikes, riding situations, and so forth.

If, on the other hand, you accept posts that have R1200R related content as it pertains to related subjects, then the OP in this thread is absolutely acceptable in my view.

Rather than attack the original poster, do you have any thoughts about his basic premise that the R1200R is the most suitable bike available today to shoot the scenes in "The Great Escape"? I think that would be a more suitable response.

Is this topic any less R1200R specific than:
1. Bike laptop ?
2. aerostich vs motoport
3. have a great trip
4. Who has my vanity plate?
5. Ride-On Tyre (Tire) sealant
6. carrying a hand gun?

If this discussion is needed, why start it in this thread?

Also, apart from being poor manners, if you really feel that this topic is clogging up the board, then starting an argument about it is also poor tactics. It only assures that there will be responses, which will keep the topic near the top of the board. Not responding at all would have made it more likely that the topic would simply fade to the bottom and off the first page in a relatively short time.
Well said, well written and right on the money in my book.

"Funny how you, Mark, have time to call me a naysayer or post have assed comments, but not to help out another member like the guy needing to know what size tool for his handlebarl, or me needing some screen shots from the service manual.
Way to contribute."

From the way I read the help requested post, Mark was there in 9 minutes with the correct answer, almost a 1/2 hour before you. And his advice about buying a set of Torx was right on, especially if you own an R and plan on doing any work yourself. I like coming over here...it's a nice break from advrider, where things can get crazy sometimes. Seems like an older, more settled crowd here, which is nice. Maybe because I'm from northern Illinois, or have an R, but I have always enjoyed your writings of your travels, jealous of your free time to do them, and envious of you skills with a camera. Your policing in this post and comments made were completly unwarranted IMHO.
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
2006 Yamamhog Stratoloungerliner
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Actually he gave the wrong size for the "help".... Because he didn't have the right tool to confirm. lazy post. No matter.

Taken from the front page:
"R1200R forum"
Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R."

That seems pretty simple and clear to me.
I'm not the police, just a member who's contributed lots of time, effort, and money to this board. I just hate to see it going to crap because theres been a lack of protocol around here.

Goo is not singled out, and I surely didn't "attack" him or start an argument. I nearly pointed out that there's a place for these kind of posts, and its not here.
He does it a lot. So do others. It's annoying.
A post about an old movie, with a simple comment about how it might, in someones fantasy, be a 12r in a fantasy movie, make it on topic? Hardly.

It's not even this one post, its all the crap found here that is all in the gray area for on topic in this forum.
We have a very specific bike model discussion going here, but some use it as their own space for thinking...... Out loud.

Most of those posts you listed are off topic, and belong in the correct off topic forum, " for all other motorcycle related discussion.
Good structure is important.
This isn't the catch all place to discuss anything just because you have a 12R.
You want to talk about riding gear, go somewhe else, you want to fantasize about 12Rs in movies, go right ahead.... Just not in the model specific forum. Real simple.
Its my understanding at Goo posted the same crap in the MOA hex head forum, only to have it move to the appropriate forum - not in the bike discussion one.

Obviously a moderator is needed around here.

Sorry to stir things up, these just a lot of these types of posts that are stretching the limits of a r1200r specific forum. Sorry to point out the obvious, IMO. Theres a off topic forum for posts like this and many of the threads in here.
This forum is cluttered and wasn't always like this.

There's many new members, many who contribute nothing but random posts that have nothing to do with our bikes daily use.
Go somewhere else and type away...

If we want to keep this board as a valuable asset for information about our bike then there has to be a line about whats appropriate, and according to what Doug says this forum is about, theres many cluttering off topic posts and threads... Lots of Moderation needed.

Don't worry I wont continue this here, I'll go to the Members section and deal with it there, once I'm done riding my bikes for this 10 week ride I'm on.

Cheers.
Get Lost!
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

ChiTown wrote:Actually he gave the wrong size for the "help".... Because he didn't have the right tool to confirm. lazy post. No matter.
"Well I went out to the garage to help you out forgetting that I no longer have the standard torx head bolts as I have bar backs also. Don't take my word for it but perhaps a T40? Just buy a whole set. It isn't much."

Mark
I don't know how to get much closer to T-40. T-40 is the right size and the wrong size? 8)

Mark
Air can hurt you too
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

You are awesome!
Last edited by Lost Rider on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Get Lost!
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

ChiTown Writes

"T-40

Just checked.

Cheers" ;)
Air can hurt you too
Tarmac
Basic User

Post by Tarmac »

Ok, i'll get this back on topic.

In the spirit of Steve McQueen, im going to go down to the Arizona/Mexico border on my R1200R this weekend, and try to jump the fence!

In the spirit of Las Vegas, i'll be taking bets!
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Hey guys. I just read this thread. Although I think ChiTown may be a little aggressive in letting the OP know its a bit off topic, I do think he is right. I know its not a huge stretch to see how the r12r could be the right bike for Steve, but it is just surmising, and as such I do think this post does belong in off topic. I think if BMW had (perhaps) made a formal statement or something it would be more appropriate to stay in the r12r forum.

But, hey no big deal! It is hard to maintain a site like this and I do rely on people and the mods to help me keep it organized. It is quite a task and I spend a lot of time doing it. As much as it hurts to have your post moved, it is for the good of the site and the people viewing it, and its better from a searching and archival perspective to be as organized as possible. Banter is best left for the Off topic or Pat's sections - thats what they're for.

To that point, I will move this post but let me just remind everyone to please be friendly and polite if someone has been off topic (or otherwise). All that needs to happen is to let the original poster nicely know of their blunder and then let me or a mod know so the post can be moved. You can also use the "report post" feature of the board and it will eventually get to me too.

Thanks again everyone for being civil here and contributing all that good stuff!
Member #1
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

... and if you are not civil....

Doug makes you a Mod and ruins your posting of impolite matter!
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

MikeCam wrote:... and if you are not civil....

Doug makes you a Mod and ruins your posting of impolite matter!
Haha, that will teach you.
Member #1
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

All of you are nuts. Clearly he'd have done the stunt on an R1150R. :biggrin:
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster