Rick Mayer is a fraud

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

richwerth
Basic User

Rick Mayer is a fraud

Post by richwerth »

Don't believe me?

Next time you see a Rick Mayer saddle go up to it and wipe the name off with a wet clothe. Comes right off.

Another test

Try to call them

Try to email them. Never ever will they answer or reply to your email. No wonder there are very few complaints about their service. Hard to complain on nothing!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Rick Mayer is a fraud

Post by deilenberger »

Lets see...

Post #5. No idea what bike you're riding (if any) and no idea of your actual name. Basic (unpaid) member. Identical attack messages posted in R1200 and R1150 forums.

Credibility factor = -0
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Obviously some "issues" here. My saddle is first rate, and has no name to rub off. Rick called me personally before he started the build to clarify some information, and his daughter answered the phone when I called them.

Careful, lest you incur major "legal issues".

Stock vs. Rick Mayer:
Last edited by ka5ysy on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
gezerbike
Basic User
Donating Member #: 775

Post by gezerbike »

The build quality on my Rick Mayer saddle is excellent and is right up there with the Sargent I had on my R 1150 RS and far exceeds any Corbin I have owned. It coddles my elderly derriere quite nicely I might add. And Eric Miner, who autographed it, must have been proud enough to sign it in paint, not ink.

Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
2006 Yamamhog Stratoloungerliner
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

gezerbike wrote:The build quality on my Rick Mayer saddle is excellent and is right up there with the Sargent I had on my R 1150 RS and far exceeds any Corbin I have owned. It coddles my elderly derriere quite nicely I might add. And Eric Miner, who autographed it, must have been proud enough to sign it in paint, not ink.

I am using an Airhawk currently, which is a big improvement on the stock seat, but would like to find a better solution. I like the look of your Rick Meyer saddle. Was it made to measure or is it an off-the-shelf unit?

Also , would you please describe the benefit you found with the new saddle. I find that, even with the Airhawk, I am OK for about a couple of hours but then start to get some discomfort. I assume there is no substitute for a quality made seat - and I guess you will confirm it's worth the cost! Your thoughts?

Ron
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)
2006 KTM 400 EXC (Orange,.. obviously)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

"Don't believe me?"

No I don't.

My butt enjoyed 775.7 miles on a Rick Meyer seat this weekend. There is no name to wipe off. :P

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
rex akro
Basic User

Post by rex akro »

Rocket wrote:
I am using an Airhawk currently, which is a big improvement on the stock seat, but would like to find a better solution. I like the look of your Rick Meyer saddle. Was it made to measure or is it an off-the-shelf unit?

Also , would you please describe the benefit you found with the new saddle. I find that, even with the Airhawk, I am OK for about a couple of hours but then start to get some discomfort. I assume there is no substitute for a quality made seat - and I guess you will confirm it's worth the cost! Your thoughts?

Ron
Get in touch with this chap Ron, you'll have to use your base but he'll do anything you want. Top bloke 8)

http://www.tonyarcher.co.uk/
Nigel

Post by mistral »

Rick can be a little hard to reach, and communication probably could be a little better, but he is a decent guy. He does good work. You just have to keep working with him.

I think the original poster was way too harsh.

Ron
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

rex akro wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Ron
Get in touch with this chap Ron, you'll have to use your base but he'll do anything you want. Top bloke 8)

http://www.tonyarcher.co.uk/
Excellent, thanks Nigel.
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

FredeR1200Ric is a fraud to himself !
Browsing r1150r.org all day long from work...
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

FredeR1200Ric wrote:FredeR1200Ric is a fraud to himself !
Browsing r1150r.org all day long from work...

:-k
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
gezerbike
Basic User

Post by gezerbike »

Rocket wrote:
gezerbike wrote:The build quality on my Rick Mayer saddle is excellent and is right up there with the Sargent I had on my R 1150 RS and far exceeds any Corbin I have owned. It coddles my elderly derriere quite nicely I might add. And Eric Miner, who autographed it, must have been proud enough to sign it in paint, not ink.

Ron
If you look at the 2 pics of the Mayer seats, you can see the wings on each side of the seat. These wings are what makes these seat so comfortable...they support your whole butt, which now moves and spreads out the contact point that you sit on. Most stock seats are not wide enough to have your whole but supported. This limits the amount of moving you can do. It also causes alot of pressure on part of the butt that is making contact with the seat. That unsupported part of the butt is now adding more pressure to the parts that are touching the seat. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, take a 2 x 12 by 4' and place it on 2 saw horses. Now sit on that 2 x 12 with the 12" part between your legs. Let your weight be on the 2 x 12. See how long you last before your butt is burning. Then swing a leg over the 2 x 12 and sit on it where your whole butt is on the 2 x 12. Big difference. It was actually Russell who developed this design way back when. When he retired, he sold it to the Sr Mayer. The sons split the business after dad died, and Russell decided to get back in the game. They don't call it the Russell Daylong for nothing. What I really about the Mayer is how he still managed to keep the seat rather petite looking, whereas most Russell's are not very dainty looking.
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

After 80K miles on a RM saddle, I think the OP is full of something other than credibility.

For 7 years I worked in the medical field of pressure ulcer prevention and know somethingt about what it takes to relieve pressure on the human body. Rick does to, having been a RN in a cardiac surgical unit, IIRC.

Basically, the principle is simple: pressure is force per unit area, so to reduce pressure, increase the area (or go on a diet!).

Air cushions, IF properly inflated, increase the support area, but not as well as other approaches that can increase the "contact patch" even more.

I believe that the Russell Day Long design is patented. It uses a transverse upholstery-type spring to support the "wings" which spread the contact all they way up the sides of the buttocks and not just on the ischial tuberosities (sit bones).

Rick accomplishes much the same result by using a variety of modern foams, many of which are used in the medical industry.

Even though I was pleased with the Rick Mayer saddle, when it came time to replace my OEM Bumkiller (tm) saddle on the RR, I decided to give the Day Long a trial, both out of curiosity and after reading a number of glowing reviews.

I find it more "odd" than the RM design in that it looks wider and took some getting used to the technique of sliding forward to the narrow part for city stop and go driving and for throwing some weight around in the twisties, then moving back into the generous "pocket" for barcolounger comfort on the long hauls. My sense is that the spring will probably hold up in its support function longer than the foams, but so far, I only have 30K on the Day Long. Although muscle memory (fat memory?) can be tricky to recall accurately, my impression is that my butt is more comfy on the Day Long for longer rides.

As for looks, I'm a big advocate of form following function (why I ride a R1200R). On their website, I found:

"If beauty is as beauty does, a "Day-Long" Saddle is beautiful! ...We have a saying at RCP: "Beauty is in the eye on the buttholder!""

The look kinda grows on ya.

Or not.

Your butt may vary.
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

gezerbike wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Ron
If you look at the 2 pics of the Mayer seats, you can see the wings on each side of the seat. These wings are what makes these seat so comfortable...they support your whole butt, which now moves and spreads out the contact point that you sit on. Most stock seats are not wide enough to have your whole but supported. This limits the amount of moving you can do. It also causes alot of pressure on part of the butt that is making contact with the seat. That unsupported part of the butt is now adding more pressure to the parts that are touching the seat. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, take a 2 x 12 by 4' and place it on 2 saw horses. Now sit on that 2 x 12 with the 12" part between your legs. Let your weight be on the 2 x 12. See how long you last before your butt is burning. Then swing a leg over the 2 x 12 and sit on it where your whole butt is on the 2 x 12. Big difference. It was actually Russell who developed this design way back when. When he retired, he sold it to the Sr Mayer. The sons split the business after dad died, and Russell decided to get back in the game. They don't call it the Russell Daylong for nothing. What I really about the Mayer is how he still managed to keep the seat rather petite looking, whereas most Russell's are not very dainty looking.
Thanks Mike. So it's not just about using softer foam, I need a seat design which is wider and provides more support. Notice the wings on the Mayer seat. Do you have any trouble being "planted" in the seat and less able to move about ie when riding fast twisty roads?
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

" Do you have any trouble being "planted" in the seat and less able to move about ie when riding fast twisty roads?"
Rocket, I have no problem leaning out of the saddle on my Rick Meyer sliding to move my weight where it needs to be in the twisties. It is a leather saddle and when wearing my leather riding pants I can move about very well
Without the feeling of tackiness the stock vinyl covered seat gave me.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
gezerbike
Basic User

Post by gezerbike »

celticus wrote:" Do you have any trouble being "planted" in the seat and less able to move about ie when riding fast twisty roads?"
Rocket, I have no problem leaning out of the saddle on my Rick Meyer sliding to move my weight where it needs to be in the twisties. It is a leather saddle and when wearing my leather riding pants I can move about very well

Mark
+ 1 on Marks comments. And besides, there are no fast twisty roads here in Illinois. When we park our bikes, we don't need a sidestand, or centerstand. :lol:
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

gezerbike wrote:
celticus wrote:" Do you have any trouble being "planted" in the seat and less able to move about ie when riding fast twisty roads?"

Mark
+ 1 on Marks comments. And besides, there are no fast twisty roads here in Illinois. When we park our bikes, we don't need a sidestand, or centerstand. :lol:
Sounds good. Must be a catch somewhere. Guess it must be the price. Let me guess....£500 ($750)+ ?
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

Mark
Thanks Mark. Have been given a UK contact who appears to do a similar job. Will check it out (but RM is still a fall-back option)
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

richwerth wrote:Don't believe me?
Next time you see a Rick Mayer saddle go up to it and wipe the name off with a wet clothe. Comes right off.
Assuming the post is true (questionable), sounds like the post-er got conned. Obviously conned on his spelling lessons, too. Now, if I wrote "Russell", "Sargent" or "Rick (or Bill) Mayer" on my Corbin, would someone buy it from me? :badgrin:

I see our pals over on the R1150R page got lulled into a flame war (well, what passes for a flame war on this forum .. not a patch on jo mamma) over this. Aren't we superior to have turned this into a thread about the wonders of Mr Mayer's ars*-relievers .... :p
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

gezerbike and ka5ysy:
These look like great saddles you have there. I gather they are both Rick Mayer. Which models? It seems ka5ysy's has a larger passenger section. Does that mean it's a dual model and gezerbike's seat, which seems narrower in the back, is a single?
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R