GPS.zumo.temporary.power

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

dd
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

GPS.zumo.temporary.power

Post by dd »

hi.

my friend and i both have a garmin gps zumo 550.
they are hard wired for power from the cradle on the ram mount to the bikes electrical system, and work perfectly on our own bikes.

we are flying out to denver and renting bikes for a week long tour of colorado this summer.
we will be taking our own gps units with us.

the rental bikes (non-bmw) will have cigarette lighter type accessory power ports.
however, as far as i can tell, the power cord supplied with the zumo with that type of end only fits the automobile mount, which i don't think will mount to a motorcycle.

my question is this:
1. how do i provide power continuous electrical power to a garmin zumo without hardwiring it to the rental bike?
2. is there a power cord available that can fit one end onto the garmin motorcycle mount and the other end to a cigarette lighter type accessory power port?

thanks so much.
-daniel.
it seemed like a good idea at the time
waynemathews
Triple Lifer

Re: GPS.zumo.temporary.power

Post by waynemathews »

dd wrote:hi.

my friend and i both have a garmin gps zumo 550.
they are hard wired for power from the cradle on the ram mount to the bikes electrical system, and work perfectly on our own bikes.

we are flying out to denver and renting bikes for a week long tour of colorado this summer.
we will be taking our own gps units with us.

the rental bikes (non-bmw) will have cigarette lighter type accessory power ports.
however, as far as i can tell, the power cord supplied with the zumo with that type of end only fits the automobile mount, which i don't think will mount to a motorcycle.

my question is this:
1. how do i provide power continuous electrical power to a garmin zumo without hardwiring it to the rental bike?
2. is there a power cord available that can fit one end onto the garmin motorcycle mount and the other end to a cigarette lighter type accessory power port?

thanks so much.
-daniel.
I know several mechanics who carry a Gerbing wiring harness when they pickup or deliver bikes in the cold, so hardwiring might be an option. I've not been able to find a motorcycle power cable with a cigarette plug for the Zumo.

Powerlet sells a Zumo motorcycle power cable with a Powerlet plug for $40 list. 36 inch is standard length, but it is available shorter or custom. They also sell cigarette lighter to Powerlet adaptors for another. I used that setup when I was moving my Zumo between my R100 (Powerlet) and Buell Ulysses (cigarette). The cheaper option is to buy another power cable from Garmin and add a cigarette lighter plug. Garmin will sell you the cable for $13 if you are an AMA member, $22 otherwise.
09 R1200R
Stephen Bell
Basic User

Re: GPS.zumo.temporary.power

Post by Stephen Bell »

I have customized combination twice and still not working so have taken to my Little shop these days for them to type as still under guarantee. I am having problems finding an adapter that meets the smoke free large I have three but nine fit? Can anyone let me know which type of adapter will fit the smoke free large or provide me a web link to where I can buy one?