question about ignition coils

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

reef
Donating Member #: 0

question about ignition coils

Post by reef »

Hi,
Model;2003, r1150r,single spark,20000 mi,non abs,black
Symptoms;surging progress to worse,jerking in lower gears and at low speed,take effort to start.
spark plugs change at 13000(bosch),Fuel only shell or exxon both mid grade,TB in sync at idle 1100 rpm
I dont know where else to look for solution. My question is how many ign.coils is on my bike,1 or 2? How much they approx.cost?
How easy is to replace them? Dealer in Nashville said that can't be it .Because he did not see fail one yet.Maybe some of you can advise me where could be a potentional problem. Thanks and regards Mark
GERMANIA WERKE Nr;1150 R
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: question about ignition coils

Post by boxermania »

You have one ignition coil that fires both plugs at the same time, as your dealer indicated it is seldom that one of those coils fails.

Based on your post, I'd say that you have a intermitent/broken wire in the harness by the steering head, the ones that are held with nylon ties.....there is a post in this forum addressing the location.

Or one of your Hall sensors, behind the front cover is going bad.....there is also a recent post on the subject.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.......
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX