Another interesting poll....What is your braking technique?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

What is your braking technique?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:27 pm

Front brake exclusively
17%
Rear brake exclusively
No votes
Front and rear for makimum braking power
32%
Down shifting and one of the above
51%

Total votes: 53

boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Another interesting poll....What is your braking technique?

Post by boxermania »

Ok, boys and girls....what is your pleasure? Of course ABS and linked brakes will have different response......still, which brake will you go for first.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

Post by yjleesvrr »

All of my bikes are non-ABS. As such, I use the front brake only under most circumstances. When I need to stop in a hurry, I use both.
Optimus Prime
Basic User

Post by Optimus Prime »

Depends on the situation. Rolling up slowly to a light, I'll use the back. Coming up to a light at speed, but with plenty of time to slow down and favorable traffic conditions, I'll use a lot of engine braking. Most anything else is both brakes (even though they're linked, I still use both. I don't think my brain will ever get used to thinking the back brake is in use without having to use the pedal, and maybe that's not a bad thing)
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Down-shifting, AND using both front and rear brakes.....

I LOVE to blip the throttle, hear the exhaust note, and listen to the mechanical noises of the engine while down-shifting!

I understand it's best to "settle" the suspension by applying the rear brake first, but I usually apply BOTH front & rear brake levers simultaneously. I usually adjust the rear brake-lever quite a bit below my foot for fear of applying too much rear brake in a panic stop.

My bike's ass-end seems to rise up on me if I brake exclusively with the front brake. It must be the pre-load being relieved that I feel, but I absolutely DO NOT like the feeling of the back of my bike coming up on me. This is prevented by judicious use of the rear brake.

Using both the front brake and rear brake at the same time, seems to make my bike squat to a stop..... I much prefer that. I still hafta have the drama of downshifting too. The ONLY problem I have with downshifting, is the muscle memory coming into play during a panic stop. When I should be paying attention to applying the brakes in a controlled fashion, down-shifting is wasting time/energy/attentiveness while panic braking.

I'm still learning, and may have some bad habits that need to be corrected. In fact, I may have some bad braking habits of which I am NOT aware.
Member #31
Optimus Prime
Basic User

Post by Optimus Prime »

Pat wrote: The ONLY problem I have with downshifting, is the muscle memory coming into play during a panic stop. When I should be paying attention to applying the brakes in a controlled fashion, down-shifting is wasting time/energy/attentiveness while panic braking.
I actually think it's good to downshift even while panic stopping, assuming the stopping is your first priority. I recently had a semi-panic stop that turned into a panic on the throttle, being in the wrong gear could have been bad.

A car made a right turn on red directly in front of a large "wolf pack" that I hadn't yet worked my through. On the binders fairly hard, when i notice the guy "way" behind me must have been busy reading the newspaper and hadn't noticed we were nearly stopped. Since I was in the correct gear I was able to get on the gas and GTF outta there before this guy made me a hood ornament. He ended up hard on the brakes and then taking it to the shoulder and around the car that was in front of me.

Soooo, downshifting while braking hard can be a good habit to get into.
vintagecycle
Basic User

Post by vintagecycle »

Heavily biased front brake with a little rear. Only on this bike though....
Dan

'04 R1150R (Silver) Sold
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'81 Yamaha YZ125
ffilmar
Lifer

Post by ffilmar »

Yeah, it's always good to keep it in ~some~ gear should you need to brake or get away. I always opt for whatever gear keeps me in the 4-5K range in traffic or situations where I might feel I have to use the engine.

I still go for the back brake first then the front with engine-braking in straight-line stops. I wonder how the partially integrated (ABS) brakes handle using both the lever and the pedal? Does this defeat the electronics?

But in an all-out stop I fall back on a cage technique - "in a spin, both feet in". I grab clutch, downshift and go for both brakes. For me it's a less jerky stop and I know I have power should I need it.

Best is to limit those occasions where you have to go max stop, though. :)
Member #457
No matter where you go, there you are.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Since I have the semi-linked ABS, I only use the front brake when I need it. I typically downshift but at my last service the svc manager said downshifting is probably the biggest cause of rear tire wear on the R's. He said 'chopping' the throttle closed wears the tire more than hard accelleration. I typically get between 7k and 8k miles on the rear Z6.

On a non-linked braking system I would typically use the front and bring in the rear brake when needed.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Hope

Post by MikeCam »

I close my eyes, grab a handful of front, stomp a hard rear and hope for the best. If that doesn't seem to be working, I drag my feet, toes first.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Promethean
Basic User

Post by Promethean »

Since I'm fresh out of the BRC(about a year ago) , I use both brakes with downshifting to stop....one of the few things that I remember from the course. I'm still getting used to the "hitting the brick wall" effect when I apply both brakes on the R.

I guess I need to work on smooth brake application. I was unprepared for the dive when I grabbed a handful of front brake the first time.

-Promethean
Optimus Prime
Basic User

Post by Optimus Prime »

Interesting link for the nerds (like me) out there.

http://www.mecc.unipd.it/~cos/DINAMOTO/ ... ng_new.htm
jbuzbee
Basic User

Post by jbuzbee »

In panic stops I stupidly mash on the REAR brake only. It must be a reaction from my mountain biking days . . .. If it weren't for the straight line stability of the R I'd have low sided a few times by now. I REALLY have to get out of that habit.

All other times I use front brake only. I used to downshift alot with the monster - it was fun to here the motor engine braking.

jb
James Buzbee
There was a time when a man was free to make his own way in the world . . ..
collyers
Basic User

Post by collyers »

On the RR, all you have to do is grab the front lever - it will engage both F&R brakes, and modulate the amount between wheels (if you have ABS?servo brakes). Stomping on the pedal adds no additional braking power when using the front lever with gusto. Downshifting is always a good idea if a possible escape is needed.
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Whatever works.

Each situation is different, each response should be dependant on the situation.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
gel9001

What is the result of your fuel regulator?

Post by gel9001 »

What is the result of your new fuel regulator?
solitario11
Basic User

I do .................................

Post by solitario11 »

I down shift and use mostly front brake but always some rear, but according to an instructional tape I saw I should use 80% front and 20 rear AND NO down shifting, I been trying to get use to but in panic stops I downshift, thinking all my life thats was the correct way!....mmmmmm they actually claims is very bad for the engine using it as a brake!
Rafael
R1150R k4
V-STAR 1100 k6
Valley Cottage NY
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Braking without downshifting *may* be the quickeat technique for braking but I always like to have the tranny in the right gear to match road speed if you need to get off the brakes on on the gas QUICK for an evasive maneuver.
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
AndyfromPoland
Basic User

Post by AndyfromPoland »

I'm not entirely sure I understand this poll.

Desparately searching for the "it depends" response :smt100

Damn woolly-headed liberals. Just can't make up their minds about anything :smt030
Member #69
Feeding the Rat
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Who says I'm wooly headed!?
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

here you go andy....

It depends.

I do, however, have recently had problems with the arse end losing traction and skidding under heavy braking. i swear i'm not hitting the rear as much as it sounds, but that MeZ4 does not stay put for me.

I need to:
A)get the brakes/tire checked.
AND
B)get some professional lessons.
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311