Sargent Seat & Handle Bar replacement for Rockster

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

RocksterRon
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Sargent Seat & Handle Bar replacement for Rockster

Post by RocksterRon »

I'm considering a Sargent seat to replace the stocker on my Rockster. I've been told that the fit of the front seat with the rear stock seat isn't very good, and that I need to purchase both the front and rear. Don't really want to part with CAD$900 for both seats. Has anyone replaced just the front seat, and are you happy with the results?

I logged 4,500KM on the stock seat during a recent 2 week trip through Spain & Portugal & found that the old butt got pretty uncomfortable after a short time on the bike. After a 6 week wait for my bike to return home, I went out for a couple of hours on the weekend and realized just how uncomfortable the stock seat really is!

I've also come to the conclusion that the stock handle bars that come with the Rockster aren't very comfortable either. Is the conversion to the standard 1150R bars worth the effort? Or is there another solution to consider?

Hope the experts here on this forum can provide me with some valuable insight.
CH Racing M900
Basic User

Post by CH Racing M900 »

Ron, personally I find the stock seat quite comfortable, but than again, so far I have not ridden the bike for more than approx 350 kilometers a day.

As for the bars, I have installed a couple of Touratech risers, increasing the height with an additional 25 mm (If memory serves me right). I gotta admit that this makes a lot of difference to me. You might want to try this too, the risers are not too expensive.

Also, IMHO seating position varies for every individual. I am not too tall, and have the lowered seat on my Rockster.

Also, you might want to read this topic :

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=767
Nekkid rulez!

BMW R 1150 R Rockster - matte black
Ducati M900 - Full chrome battledress
bmwcliff

Bars

Post by bmwcliff »

I believe that the standard Roadster bars are worth the effort and expense, they were the only thing that I did not like in choosing the Rockster, so I made the swap part of the deal and am very happy. Keep asn eye on Ebay for the standard R1150 bars, they will shoe up sooner or later, everything does.
bmwcliff

Bars/seat for Rockster

Post by bmwcliff »

Also just recently got a Sargent seat from Ebay for my Rockster, will post comments at a later date concerning how well this change worked out, after I have the opportunity to put on a bunch of miles.
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

I have a Sargent seat (got it used), no replacement pillion seat. The previous seat owner didn't buy both either.

They work fine together as far as I can see. But then again, I don't carry a passenger (yet, nor do I plan to do it often). Now, I mostly use the 'faux alminum' plate thingy, and tie on my Chicane tailbag.

It seems that if you decide you need to get the Sargent pillion you can do that later.

Pam
queenpdog
Lifer

Post by queenpdog »

I just bought a sargent front seat. I had no fit problems with the stock rear seat. I rode 100 miles today on it and my first impressions are good. I noticed that it is taller than the stock seat, but that's okay for me. It was very comfortable and looks really classy. I spent $300 and I think it's going to be well worth it!
two wheels good

http://www.bmwomen.com
RocksterRon
Basic User

Post by RocksterRon »

:D
So I finally got the Sargent seat installed (Carbon FX, no BMW logo), and I have to say that it is far superior to the stocker as far as comfort goes. I just got back from a 600KM ride on the Duffy Lake road today, and my butt never complained once during the 8 hour ride. Amazing! With the old seat I would be in agony after only a couple of hours. Another bonus for me is the Sargent is a little lower than the stock seat, and the reduction in wind buffetting around my helemet is significantly reduced. Well worth the money, as far as I'm concerned!

I am also happy with the fit of the new front seat with the stock BMW rear pillion seat. I was lead to believe that there would be a problem in this regard, but am happy to report no such issue.

Thank-you Sargent!

I'm still waiting for the stock 1150R handle bars to be installed, and will post my impressions as soon as they arrive. I'm hopeful that they too will make a difference in improving ride comfort.
domekrome
Basic User

Post by domekrome »

Hi Ron,

Would you be adverse to meeting for a coffee/ride with another Vancouver Rockster owner? After a riding vacation (6000kms in 1.5 weeks) I am seriously considering the same mods to my bike, and would like to swing a leg over the Sargent seat.

Jason
Jason
Rockster Edition 80 #893
RocksterRon
Basic User

Handle bar replacement

Post by RocksterRon »

Finally got the standard R1150R handle bars installed on the bike.
What a huge improvement over the stock drag bar that comes with our beloved Rockster!

I find the riding position with the std 1150R bars far more comfortable than the Rockster's - they come back and up to meet your hands at a more comfortable position, & eliminate the stress on the hands & shoulders that I encountered before the swap. Riding for more than a hour is now far easier and less tiring than before.

Installation was completed by the dealer in just over 2 hours. No problems whatsoever with brake/clutch cable length. Adding a bar riser to the R1150R handle bars would probably entail some cable lengthening as there is not much extra play in the lines now.

Installing the sargaent seat and new handle bars has totally transformed the comfort of my Roc. I would highly recommend this modification to any one who has encountered the same complaints from the stock Rockster handle bars.

Ron :D
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

I disagree. If I were to want a seating position like that of the R1150R, then that's what I would have gotten. The Rockster had the handlebar positioned low and wide for a reason: better for sport riding.

But it's your bike, so do whatever you want to make you happy. Apropos of nothing, I've taken 400+miles rides on my Rockster as is and I don't have any problem with the shoulders and arms. And I am far from being athletic. More like fat and weak.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
mistercindy

Post by mistercindy »

I bought the Sargent front and its great. I got a serious butt-burn after about 60 to 75 miles on the stock seat. But with the Sargent 400+ mile days are just fine. Best aftermarket $300 I've ever spent on a bike.
'05 R1200GS
Once owner of an '03 R1150R
Member #333 (cool number!)