slave clutch cylinder replacement

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

reef
Donating Member #: 0

slave clutch cylinder replacement

Post by reef »

Hi,I need to replace slave cl.cylinder.My question is:when cylinder fail, does it always affect clutch plates?Right now is not sliping and I did not ride that bike since problem occur.Second part is: what do I need to have, to succesfully repair it?I have ordered cylinder,gasket,crush washers and felt ring.Is there anything else what I need to be aware of. Thanks Mark
GERMANIA WERKE Nr;1150 R
awagnon
Lifer

Re: slave clutch cylinder replacement

Post by awagnon »

You may not know about the clutch plate until you remove the slave cylinder. If enough hydraulic fluid leaks out and tracks forward along the throw-out rod, then it can reach the clutch plate and ruin it. You may be able to remove the starter and look into the opening to see if there is fluid in the bottom of the clutch housing. I'm not sure how well you can see the area.

You have all the parts. Do you have a manual? Are you sure the clutch hydraulic hose is OK? Mine was leaking as much as the slave cylinder. They sometimes rust through where the outer hose covers the metal part of the lower banjo fitting. I've replaced the slave cylinder on my RT, but not my R bike. I'm sure it's about the same, but I'll let someone else give you directions. If they don't, I can send you the section from the BMW shop manual.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I think all you need is the cylinder and gasket..and it would be a good idea to 'mod' the gasket...Do you know about this?...Also it can be done with the swingarm still on.

DJ
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

You CAN get it out without raising the frame as suggested, but its a "bitch" gettin' it back in. You will also need the 4 little washers to replace the ones on the slave cylinder fluid banjo fitting connections.

Do a search for my threads. I went through all this not too long ago with Cyclerob's help. He came over and drilled the little drain hole in the cylinder for me...and helped me remove the stripped bolt in the rear frame support.
reef

Post by reef »

Hi,I do have manual.Thank you for asking.I think I do have all the parts.My objective is to change cyl. with removing as less as possible.I hear about the mod./drill hole.Where exacly I should make the mod?Recently I have been searching old postings but experience problems open any pictures(like the one of DJ downunder from last year) Thank you so much for your sugestions/imput Mark
GERMANIA WERKE Nr;1150 R
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Sorry about the pics being gone..that's my fault.

The gasket mod that my BMW service guys do is just cut a small slot at the bottom of the gasket to allow a tell-tail sign of fluid seeping past the piston letting you know it needs replacing before harm is done to the clutch..I'll see if I can find some old pictures and re post them for you.

DJ
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

This pic shows the new cylinder fitted..If you look close you can see the cut in the gasket....also if you look close you will that it's the wrong cylinder..It's for an RT I think..it looks the same..and fits ok..but the internals are different..smaller I think...Note the number on it..#20...It should be #24.

They did swap it over for the correct one..The tell tail sign that something was not quite right is that the clutch was very heavy and hard to pull...Here's a pic of my old one showing all the goo and muck.

This is it with the muck whiped off.

This is the old one taken apart.

More pics of the old one showing the correct number (#24)..Hope these pics help.

DJ

reef

Post by reef »

DJ thanks for info/pics finally I can see what Iam against.It will be a miracle if the clutch is not contaminated,I guess will see.Thanks again Mark
P.s I did notice that groove in gasket.
GERMANIA WERKE Nr;1150 R
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Just letting you know...My clutch was ok...I hope you are as lucky as me.

DJ