Ducati or Suzuki SV650S

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Which bike for those "fun" days?

Pre owned Ducati Monster
12%
Pre-owned Ducati Superbike
15%
Suzuki SV-650S
33%
Ride the R1150R faster
39%

Total votes: 33

hotzuk
Donating Member #: 0

Ducati or Suzuki SV650S

Post by hotzuk »

I really want to get a small V-twin for those days I just want to go play on some twisty roads and possibly for some track days. I have narrowed the field down to a pre-owned Ducati Monsters (99-02), 996 Superbike (if in the price range) or a Suzuki SV-650S.

I know that their is the maintenance factor with Ducati being that I previously owned a 916 but they handle great and there is nothing like that Desmo sound. The SV650S is a strong contend because of its low maintenance factor, cheaper price, tons of add ons and tons of go fast parts.

To make it fair, lets do a poll. Let the people decide :D

BTW, if anyone wants to chip in toward the next bike fund, donations will be greatly appreciated. Remember, they are tax deductable. :P
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

I surprised myself with a vote for a pre-owned Monster. Reason dictates that the SV650 is the better choice between the two, but I'm voting for
PASSION!
Member #31
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Had a Ducati and mind you it was fun......however, just like a misterss it requires a lot of maintenance, which as you know I love to do.

On a practical side the SV650 runs circles around the Monster 900, is bulletproof, watercooled, requires hardly any maintenance and is less expensive.

Now, that makes sense to me......said it many times before.... :roll: :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
yjleesvrr

Get the SV

Post by yjleesvrr »

Get the Suzuki. I have one. While mine's the standard, the smaller size and high revving v-twin makes it feel markedly different from the R1150R. The bike is cheap, easy to maintain, will hold up for years, and is a joy to ride. Because mine's the standard model, it will even putter around town at a sedate pace and feel almost like a cruiser.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I woould have said to ride the R faster, but if you are considering track days the SV gets the nod. Easier to maintain, and less expensive up front.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Biff's R wrote:I woould have said to ride the R faster, but if you are considering track days the SV gets the nod. Easier to maintain, and less expensive up front.

What he said!!
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
wncbmw
Lifer

which bike

Post by wncbmw »

Since I just now came in from a ride on some very twisty stuff and the three Suzuki riders behind me had trouble keeping up, I voted to to ride the 1150R faster! :lol:

To be fair, they were mostly on Bandits although on was an SV. :wink:
hotzuk

Great feedback

Post by hotzuk »

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. Keep it coming!
Capt. Blackadder
Basic User

Post by Capt. Blackadder »

All fine choices there, but I think I would go with a Ducati 750 Supersport. I read this article (http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcducati/99750ss.html) on Motorcycle.com a few years ago, and I've wanted one ever since. I know it's not overly fast or powerful, but I read somewhere that the air-cooled 750 is the most durable motor Ducati's made, and besides that, the panache, heartache, and high maintenance of having an Italian mistress only makes me want it more. :mrgreen:
Baldur - Black '03 R1150R non-ABS
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

wncbmw.......I will take exception to the comment regarding the Bandits....if they were the 600's shame on you 60 hp...come on....that is a nice all around bike but no competion for the RR.

On the other hand if they were the 1200 Bandits, of course you are an experienced rider and we don't know what was the level of experience of the Bandit riders.....if they had the original cans you could have run away from them in third gear......I'll tell you. if the engine is allowed to breathe a bit and the suspension is set right, specially the front, they are a bear to beat at the track, with all that torque and all. BTW, they are about 40 pounds lighter than the RR, I've put them on the scales.

Psst.......as you well know I have one of the 1200S and my buddy, 150 pounds wet with a K1200RS wants to run away from me, as you well know I'm fairly healthy myself......we run this 17 mile twisty, desolated road ........no even close.......I sometimes let him pull away to make him feel good and then reel him in.......it pisses him off......

No offense taken.....we are friends after all...... :lol: :lol:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
hotzuk

Ducati 750SSie

Post by hotzuk »

Hey,

Has anyone ridden the Ducati 750SSie?
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

Capt. Blackadder wrote:All fine choices there, but I think I would go with a Ducati 750 Supersport. I read this article (http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcducati/99750ss.html) on Motorcycle.com a few years ago, and I've wanted one ever since. I know it's not overly fast or powerful, but I read somewhere that the air-cooled 750 is the most durable motor Ducati's made, and besides that, the panache, heartache, and high maintenance of having an Italian mistress only makes me want it more. :mrgreen:
HUK - Of the choices you listed in your poll, Suzuki is a rice-burner, so it's out (as an R-bike rider, soul must mean something to you). The Monster is a naked bike and is redundant with the R, so the Superbike is the best of the choices, but I agree with my distinguised co-patriot from the desert here, Capt Blackadder. The Supersport is the most fun Ducati. I had mine at track day today at the Firebird Raceway main track and got that little two-cylinder, two-valve air-cooled, carbeurated engine up to 125 MPH every pass of the straightaway - the riceburners passed me in the straight - but nobody passed me in the curves. I just kept thinking about those two little valves opening and closing and the air-cooling keeping things "cool" in the 110+ degree weather and the track temps of at least 130 degrees - just an amazing, simple little bike with a lot of heart and a lot of soul.
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
hotzuk

Great info Bob

Post by hotzuk »

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I was also looking at the Ducati 750SSie. Not the 900 engine but pretty damn peppy. Any thoughts on that bike?
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Bob - As a motorcyclist who wants "soul" in his bikes and for this reason generally prefer BMWs, Harleys, Ducs, etc. I must respectfully disagree with you regarding the nature of the SV650. It is a bike with plenty of character (having a v-twin helps in this regard) that also happens to be very reliable. I've had mine for nearly four years and have found it a joy to ride at any pace. It's aural character is rich (again, the v-twin helps in this regard), the engine is tractable at almost any rpm, and it's one of the better looking standards made in the past ten years - it helps that mine is the first generation model which in my opinion looks better than the current generation.
rkdemay
Triple Lifer

No contest

Post by rkdemay »

Get the standard SV and some aftermarket bodywork (Sharkskinz) for the track. There is no comparison. You'll spend the cost of the SV in maintenance on the Duc, and constantly have to apologize to everybody at the track for puking oil on the race line.

Cheers,

-rkd
vinman
Basic User

Post by vinman »

Since you're looking for a toy for 'short' rides on twisty roads and track days, then the decision shouldn't be about practicality, it should be about emotions and fun factor. So, for me, its a no-brainer - the Ducati Superbike.
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

yjleesvrr wrote:Bob - As a motorcyclist who wants "soul" in his bikes and for this reason generally prefer BMWs, Harleys, Ducs, etc. I must respectfully disagree with you regarding the nature of the SV650. It is a bike with plenty of character (having a v-twin helps in this regard) that also happens to be very reliable. I've had mine for nearly four years and have found it a joy to ride at any pace. It's aural character is rich (again, the v-twin helps in this regard), the engine is tractable at almost any rpm, and it's one of the better looking standards made in the past ten years - it helps that mine is the first generation model which in my opinion looks better than the current generation.
Okay - you got me. I've never ridden the Suzuki, and in fact I have owned two and liked both their motors and their reliability. But at this point in my life, I'll take style over function - hence the Boxer and the Desmo. Safe riding.
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
wncbmw
Lifer

Suzuki

Post by wncbmw »

boxermainia said "wncbmw.......I will take exception to the comment regarding the Bandits....if they were the 600's shame on you 60 hp...come on....that is a nice all around bike but no competion for the RR.

On the other hand if they were the 1200 Bandits, of course you are an experienced rider and we don't know what was the level of experience of the Bandit riders.....if they had the original cans you could have run away from them in third gear......I'll tell you. if the engine is allowed to breathe a bit and the suspension is set right, specially the front, they are a bear to beat at the track, with all that torque and all. BTW, they are about 40 pounds lighter than the RR, I've put them on the scales. "

They were 1200s, however my point was that is it is more the rider than the bike. To be honest, we were on one of my favorite roads, so I had an advantage! :wink: On the track, I have no doubt the Suzuki or Duc would be the better choice! Or with riders of similar skills!

It was still fun, since the BMW, in spite of the latest, greatest high performance bikes, suffers from the "slow, old man's" bike image.

To be honest, I did not walk away from them, because they were good riders, but just enough for them to know my black beauty could move pretty good to! I kept them entertained anyway! :lol: