I may be seduced away....

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ranmar850
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

I may be seduced away....

Post by ranmar850 »

I finally got around to riding an R1200 ST last weekend, after considering all the options from afar. It was what I had expected, really-felt longer and lower than the Rockster, initial turn in a little slower, more go, less vibration at high cruise revs, everything fell nicely to hand. Fairly expensive changeover, but to be expected, with the used Rock values not being great. I may have a look at the '07 version of Triumphs Sprint ST. I really like the Rock, but all my miles are open road; the Wunderlicht Trimm screen does a very good job for it's size.....and the vibration becomes intrusive over 140km/hr.
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

:D heh heh heh

hell Ranmar that's what I did also, VERY neat toy, and the pull that bike has compared to the Rockster was great!

Don't try the KR :wink:

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

Well, the R1200ST and the Sprint ST are some really nice machines, so I can't blame you for being seduced away. The vibration is there, but it had stopped bothering me for a while now. Get some good touring gloves with some additional cushions (but be leery of gel inserts) and it'll be all right.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
ranmar850
Basic User

Post by ranmar850 »

I haven't been seduced away just yet... have been considering it on and off , just a pleasant contemplation of alternatives--wondered if you were still lurking in this forum, Bry :D Looked at from a purely practical point of view, the touring ablity is absolutely fine if you want to stay within the speed zone where you have a chance of retaining your licence, which really means not spending any prolonged time over 135 k's anyway. My wife says the pillion seat isn't as good as the 1200 gs's. I don't mind the stock seat, haven't tried a 1000 k day, but the 600/ 6 hrs to Perth from home is OK. It was actually the subject of luggage which got me thinking--I have a BMW rack and soft top case, throwovers and a small tank bag--do I go ahead and buy the system cases and big top box for the trip which I am beginning to plan for early next year, or just forget about them and get another bike? It'll be either Tasmania or NZ (on my own bike), two up. Sprint comes stock with Panniers, now-tho I believe they may only be 27 litres ea, too small, my soft throwovers are that size.

The ST was that one AC's have had for a while now--saw the s/hand KR they had, and quickly averted my eyes :shock: :twisted: --must....resist....
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

ST's seat kinda forced your nurries at the front a bit, but was better in my view (that being the large cushy bit I sit on) whereas the Rockster always seemed to cut into the inner thighs. You have a deal more weight on the wrists as well...

Whereas the KR? you accelerate, this keeps ALL the weight off the front... occasionally the tire also! :twisted:

But the Panniers on the ST would be more functional than the ones on the R for sure... Tassie eh? pictures when you do, as I'll be insanely jealous!

Bry :wink:
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
frevrod
Basic User

Post by frevrod »

Well my Rock goes this Saturday to be replaced by...........

Yes a R1200ST (coincidence or what?)

I couldn't resist the offer of a one year old model with ABS etc at 2/3 of the new price, and got a reasonable PX price for the 2 year old Rockster.

I was tempted by the F800ST, but BMW still don't appear to have ironed all the faults out and havent yet finished their testing phase (albeit on the public after the model was introduced)

So I'll have a couple of accessories for sale in the UK in the near future.

The Stantons website states they fit all oilheads, does anyone know if this includes the ST ?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

frevrod wrote: The Stantons website states they fit all oilheads, does anyone know if this includes the ST ?
no, and they've stopped making them anyway. :(

If you have Stantons on your Rockster whip them off and sell them!!

(how much would you want?? I could collect!)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life