Just test ridden a...

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

\\Mike_Lea//
Basic User

Just test ridden a...

Post by \\Mike_Lea// »

K1200R, earlier today...

Not really ever been a huge fan of 4cyl bikes; always associated them with the usual Jap fare, which don't get me wrong are fantastic examples of engineering excellence but just don't float my boat. But I have to say the 1200R really great!

Power just surges and doesn't stop. Very addictive and certainly changes the way you ride, in that I was constantly looking for an excuse to open the throttle. Not sure if that's actually a good thing or not. I like to get a good pace going, but on my Rock it feels more controlled and far less frantic. Riding the 1200R is like hitting a bonus boost on an XBOX game; good fun but at times probably a little out of control.

Didn't really wind it right up towards the redline either, which bearing in mind how it performed within the contraints I set, that would be a scary thought.

Handling was superb; very light touch, very sure footed and makes you feel very confident. I found myself scooting along at speeds which aren't out of character for the Rock, it's just the pace at which you acheive them. Just a slight twist of the right hand and "Whoop! there it is..."

Spent 1.5hrs out on the 1200R in total which put a huge smile on my face, but the ride home on the Rock, which felt a little (ehem) odd for the first five minutes, made me realise just how much I like my Black 'n Orange thumper.

Apparently the 1200R pumps out 160+ Bhp, which I'm sure in reality is far less at the rear wheel, but suffice to say it's a world away from the Rock. Having said that the Rock doesn't 'feel' underpowered in comparison. I did enjoy the test ride, but it's got two too many cylinders which aren't pointing out from the sides in a brilliantly unconventional way.

I'm hoping BMW will bring out a re-vamped version of the Rock in guise of the new R1200R, now that would be worth while. I'm thinking about taking out the 1200ST too, just to be nosey...

Nah.... Think the Rock's here to stay for some time to come

M :)
Shine on you crazy diamond
dragonmojo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by dragonmojo »

I suspected as much, as I was drooling when the K1200R first made its debut. However, the last time I had 4 cylinders on two wheels was in '83 when I sold a Suzuki GS750E for my first Beemer (an R80RT). I currently have nothing but twins in my stable (plus a 5-cyl truck, but let's keep to bikes shall we?). Love the traditional boxer 2.

I do not do track time, and my favorite street riding are tight twisties. The big horses would be great for long, triple-digit sweepers, but I think they'd be under-utilized in the 35mph mountain curves (where bikes could almost do twice that).

Took a day ride today and got on such a road. I am quite sure I did not wring the Rockster's full potential due to the road's, and my, limitations. But choosing the right gears and getting into the sweet band, using a combination of brakes, engine braking and throttle, was pure joy and left me beaming. It's possible that a K1200R could have covered all this terrain in 1st gear (!) but I'm not sure if I would have gotten the same satisfaction.

I think there's another thread where the post-er test rode an R1200ST, but upon getting back onto his 1150 was still grinning from ear to ear.

Cheers,
Alan
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

The rocks a cool bike, give you a maniac grin every time,I sold it for a R1200ST, that has a superb motor... the note as you wound it out was excellent... Bit of weight on the wrists though around town you were aware of..

But after the ST developed problems I went to the KR, it's like the rock with the upright seating which is great around town. Has the human windsock impression over legal speeds, but the maniacal factor.... BWHAHAHAHA!
It just has something the Rockster needed...

power... :twisted: :twisted:

I'm happy to say the medications work well now... *twitch... :wink:

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

The wife has a K1200R which I occasionally get to ride. they ARE fun, but I still prefer my Rock. :D

BTW - I don't think an engine design that originiated in the 1930s and has been in continuous production ever since, can be called "unconventional". ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
\\Mike_Lea//
Basic User

Post by \\Mike_Lea// »

You wife has a 1200R, cool!! Gettin' off the 1200R onto my Rock, well... the 1200R felt a little flimsy in comparison, not as solid as the Rock (no punn intended...)

If I had the cash I'd certainly consider one. But for me, at the moment, the Rock just seems to make so much sense. Every time I ride, it just gets better and better.

Fitted some pannier rails at the weekend, which, I was a little worried might ruin the looks, but I have to say they look really good. I'm gonna buy the luggage plate next month too...

I know the boxer engine has been around for a long, LONG time, but it's still unconventional to me :wink: It's the different things in life that appeal to me, rather than the norm...

M :D
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

Try an R1200S next time you're down there too Mike - they don't hang about either... I didn't think I'd ever ride a stock boxer that'd power-wheelie! The one I tested had a Remus end-can with baffles removed & sounded like a bi-plane...

There's a choice of Wunderlich or AC Schnitzer headstock upgrades allowing you to fit tubular bars now too, so you won't have to reach down so far for those clip-ons :lol:
\\Mike_Lea//
Basic User

Post by \\Mike_Lea// »

Must admit, I really do like the R1200S.

It's a great looking bike, maybe a little easier on the eye that the K1200R. I'm not saying better, just depends on your perspective; The R1200S is more pleasing to the eye, perhaps the sort of bike 'ya mother would like you to bring home. Whereas the K1200R is every mother nightmare!!!!!!!

Really would like a ride. The local dealers were telling me that the 1200S is a superb bike, but underpowered when compared to the K1200R.

Comments?

M :wink:
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

\Mike_Lea// wrote:Must admit, I really do like the R1200S.

It's a great looking bike, maybe a little easier on the eye that the K1200R. I'm not saying better, just depends on your perspective; The R1200S is more pleasing to the eye, perhaps the sort of bike 'ya mother would like you to bring home. Whereas the K1200R is every mother nightmare!!!!!!!

Really would like a ride. The local dealers were telling me that the 1200S is a superb bike, but underpowered when compared to the K1200R.

Comments?

M :wink:
:roll:

...yes....

:wink:

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!