Ride to Winchester Hill

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike UK
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Ride to Winchester Hill

Post by Mike UK »

It's another lovely day in Southern England. A perfect spring day started with a misty morning but the sun broke through very quickly. The air was fresh and it felt great to out on the bike. The weather is still changeable but the countryside is waking up. I decided to have a ride through Hampshire to East Meon and then over Winnchester Hill to West Meon. The roads were quiet so I could really enjoyed the ride.

I stopped in East Meon as everyone was going to Church. The sound of the bells could be heard accross the village.

Next stop was on the Downs. I stayed a while watching hang gliders circle on the air currents above the chalk slope.

After this stop I moved onto Winchester Hill. This is a site of an ancient Iron Age Hill Fort.

Dropping off the hill I next arrived in West Meon. The Meon Valley is one of the most picturesque areas in Hampshire. In fact most of this County is very beautiful. I'm lucky to have such nice riding country on my doorstep.

To see the full size images go here and click on the pictures and request the original size..

http://r1150r.smugmug.com/gallery/187562/16/20391187

I was a great ride. Spring time is my favourite season especially in England.

Mike
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Beautiful pictures Mike...every one.

I can see myself using a few of them as wallpapers...the one in front of the big green field is great.

I love watching the hang gliders too...I have a friend that's into para gliding.

Your bike always looks imaculate....thanks for the pics.

DJ
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Hey, where'd you get those mirrors?
rkdemay
Triple Lifer

Images

Post by rkdemay »

Good images again Mike. I, too, particularly admire the bike backgrounded by the green field. No pics of the hang gliders?

We used to have an area off the river bluffs in Wisconsin labeled Hang Glider Preserve. It was a main riding route and we'd often stop and watch 'em soaring about with the Turkey Buzzards.

I wondered at the sign posted on their hangar, though. Preserve? Did that mean we couldn't shoot them there?

Thanks for regularly sharing your images. It's inspiring to get back behind the lens myself.

Cheers,

-rkd
Mike UK
Lifer

Post by Mike UK »

Guys,

my images have degraded. I think it's my internet settings. Hope you are seeing everything clearly. If not drop a line. Thanks for the comments. They are always very much appreciated.

I have a picture if the hang gliders but a little Canon Camera has it's limitations, i.e. a spot in a blue sky!

The mirrors are from a BMW R1200C. They are a direct fit but you need to order the collar / spacer that slides over the narrower mirror stalk. Rear view is much better as they are oval.

Mike

[/url]
Britnheaven
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 246

Post by Britnheaven »

Mike,

Great report as usual - the picture of that field with the mist in the distance is fabulous.

I just got back from a 1500 mile ride from Death Valley right across the lengh of the Sierra's - the best trip for me yet. You have to come out my freind..
Bob the Madd Brit loose in CA....

Double Lifetime Member # 246