They never knew…

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

darthrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

They never knew…

Post by darthrider »

Coming back to Texas from my business trip/ride to Daytona Bike Week last month I was really bored. The entire trip was over 2700 miles and 90% of that was on Interstates. And 90% of those were straight. I really had no choice...I had to get there quick and get back. I was on the clock, on the company tab and I needed to be there. So “super-slab” it was for me. It was the longest motorcycle trip I had ever been on and not seen a mountain…Bo-ring!

Early the second bright, chilly morning out of Daytona, I entered Louisiana. And having about 800 miles to go I decide “screw it”, I'm off the slab and into the hinterlands. What followed was one of the most pleasant short-two day rides I've ever done. Nothing spectacular like the Rocky Mountains or dramatic like the Tetons or entertaining like the Ozarks or enchanting like the Smokies. Just Pine trees and forests, gently curving roads, easy hills and the natural rhythm of the road you can only experience alone...on a motorcycle.

I was actually hoping for rain as I had some new rain gear I needed to test. The storm cells and I played tag for a couple of hours until we caught each other in central Louisiana. The smell of the approaching, inevitable rain was nearly breathtaking inside my Arai with all vents open. Then the sudden change in temperature and smell of the gentle rain itself was like running into an old friend by chance in a favorite bar. For mile after mile I thought how wonderful this was...to be in my totally dry, warm cocoon, astride my favorite motorcycle, reveling in the smell of the fresh-washed Pines, all alone with my thoughts…and with those of the ghosts of all the other riders who went that way before me, and the ones who will follow, wondering about we who rode before.

As I slowed for the very small town I first saw, then smelled the lumber mill where the fragrance of the cut Pine was almost intoxicating. Then it changed to the smoky smell of burning wood scraps and bark and just as quickly was gone again, leaving only the rain and the steady heartbeat of the big twin.

As I passed out of the little town, one final magical olfactory astonishment nearly made me laugh out loud in delighted amazement. At a small roadside fruit stand someone was boiling shrimp! I don't know why I didn't stop and sample this feast but I think now I was just so "in the zone" of the whole experience - the ride, the rain, the smells, the nearly overpowering beauty – and appreciation - of it all, just made me want to ride on. Forever if I could, but knowing I could not, as none of us can.

And then a thought crossed my mind that actually saddened me, a little, for a bit. I thought of all the insulated, isolated, uninvolved, unknowing, unmoved people in their cars with windows rolled up, air conditioners on, cruise controls set, stereos playing who had missed this simple, wonderful thing that had left a lump in my throat and made my spirit soar.

They never even knew it was there...
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
kuip
Lifer
Donating Member #: 17

They never knew

Post by kuip »

Darthrider

Your travel description makes one seem like we're there with you and experiencing the same sensations you are. Great job!!

I go to Pinetop, Az where as the name suggests you come into this similar smell when on the bike, especially when wet.

It also reminds me that we are in too much of a hurry to pay attention to what really matters in life

Again great job..

Kuip
nzsteve
Basic User

Re: They never knew…

Post by nzsteve »

darthrider wrote: And then a thought crossed my mind that actually saddened me, a little, for a bit. I thought of all the insulated, isolated, uninvolved, unknowing, unmoved people in their cars with windows rolled up, air conditioners on, cruise controls set, stereos playing who had missed this simple, wonderful thing that had left a lump in my throat and made my spirit soar.

They never even knew it was there...
Yeah, I took my wife for her first trip up the East coast of the North Island NZ, thats a wine and orchard growing region, full of odours to overwhelm the senses of city folk and we felt the same as you....her's was only breifly as the weather turned. But yes, they don't know what they are missing!
Life is not a rehearsal!
arkline
Quadruple Lifer

Post by arkline »

Darthman,

I love riding through the city and waiting to be overcome by the aromas coming from the many different, diverse restaurants that populate Seattle. Too many cultures to do justice to, but I especially like cruising through the atmosphere of a Chinese or Thai or Indian restaurant. Alder smoke from a salmon house. Whoowee, no wonder I'm over the edge in weight...

On the other hand, coming back from the MOA rally last summer, I passed through about 10 or so miles of the Clark County Columbia Basin Reclamation project where the smell of concentrated bovine fecal material was so strong I thought I was gonna have to burn my clothes after the ride... :smt043 Gotta learn to leaven the bad with the good.
arkline #27
not THE Ron Kline

"No matter where you go, there you are."
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Bro Dave, you do paint a great pic wiith the written word. There are so many things that I would suggest that 90+% of the people miss in life, it is a true shame, but on the other hand isn't it fantastic that we get to experience, taste and smell all these seemingly non existant to most impressions.
Dean-O
Member #33
wncbmw
Lifer

riding

Post by wncbmw »

Excellent expression of what it is all about! Sometimes it isn't about getting there, or going fast but just experiencing the world as only a motorcycist can as you roll through it.

Nicely done! :smt038
BMW Fan
Basic User

Post by BMW Fan »

I'm reminded of many fantastic olfactory experiences when I lived in Germany. I used to love to ride through the small villages around dinnertime. There are few things more intoxicating to me than the smell of supper coming through the windows of a couple dozen German kitchens.

I'm hungry now.
-Kurt

Formerly "Regular Dude"
2004 Dark Ferro R1150R
2005 Red KLR 650
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

So often I think that what others know nothing of, I delight in;
riding on roads unfamiliar, while astride my bike, with it's (new) sights, sounds, and smells..... is easily one of them.

Still.....
maybe I don't know what I've been missing via the cushy comfort of a Buick La Saber on cruise-control down a heavily-traveled popular interstate.

Maybe I've been remiss.... by enjoying these 30 years and thousands of miles aboard over a dozen street bikes. If that's the case, I guess I'll choose to continue enjoying my 'sheltered life'.....
Member #31
Britnheaven
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 246

Post by Britnheaven »

Mr Darth Sir,

In my humble opinion that is THE best post ever in Great Rides.

Qdoz.
Bob the Madd Brit loose in CA....

Double Lifetime Member # 246
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Thanks Bob, but that's not fair...I was inspired after that snoot full of shrimp fumes!
I just figured out "Qdoz"...I'm a little slow in the morning.
My buddy is still struggling to get his motorcycle writer's website finished and up.
I'll keep you posted.
Dave

geechie
Honorary Lifer

Shrimp on the boil...

Post by geechie »

Thanks, Dave. That was very nice.

As good as life is, it's better on a bike!

George
toner87

Olfactory experiences...

Post by toner87 »

Yes, Darth, a great write up... Speaking of olfactory riding experiences, when I was commuting from SF to Mt. View I used to get hit by three wonderful odors in the morning, one was from the Krispy Kreme off of 280, the second was from a coffee roastery somewhere off 101 and the third was the tantalizing aroma of chocolote, also somewhere off of 101... By the time I got to work I was REALLY ready for my coffee and chocolate donut! Drool!!! Slobber n' burp...
t.
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

...Speaking of olfactory riding experiences...
Yes, speaking of those...
I rode my '73 Norton to work Friday to exercise the Old Boy and to confuse the squiddies at work.
On the way home I got trapped by some traffic for about a minute (seemed *much* longer) 3 feet from a run-over, flattened, odiferous, foul dead possum.
A Buick with rolled up windows and a good A/C didn't seem so bad right then.
But I made it to a side road soon and the magic began again.
Ah, the sweet sound of an old Norton, breathing through Dunstall Decibel pipes, after work on Friday, 75 deg. and sunny, on the way to a cold beer session with my Bros...yes, there is a God in heaven!

PS - Thanks much for the kind words boys, I appreciate it.
Dave