ATTENTION!!

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

darthrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

ATTENTION!!

Post by darthrider »

Eagles Farewell Tour I with Joe Walsh now on NBC, 8-9:00pM CST!
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

Darth - YOU THE MAN -

I missed MotoGP but I have 15 minutes until the local broadcast of the Eagles! :D
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

Oh God - I spoke too soon. Didn't realize Joe Walsh had turned himself into a jibbering idiot through drug abuse...
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
arkline
Quadruple Lifer

Post by arkline »

Joe may be a rubber faced holy fool, squeezing near orgasmic looking faces while he solos, but man that guy can play that axe. And that whole group plays tight as leather boots that fit you before you let them dry off your feet. Gotta love it, no?
arkline #27
not THE Ron Kline

"No matter where you go, there you are."
domekrome
Basic User

Post by domekrome »

Thusly reaffirming the old fogey impression of BMW riders. Come on guys, surely there's something for us riders well under 40?

Just kidding, couldn't resist.
Jason
Rockster Edition 80 #893
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Hey Jason, serious question...and all the other younger guys too:
I was wondering while I was jammin' to those old farts what *do* younger music fans think of the Eagles? People who have not been fans from the start?

Guys like me tend to consider their music timeless, classic. Like the design & styling of a '57 Chevy, or a '53 Studebaker, or a '65 GTO. Or a Vincent Black Shadow, or a '67 XLCH Sportster, or a '69 Bonneville.

What do you think?
Dave

domekrome
Basic User

Post by domekrome »

Their music, or at least the stuff I'm familiar with, indeed seems timeless but is very much of their time; that is, the time of my parents. It is easy to peg as being from that timeframe, as I'm sure it helped define that period for many. Much like the vehicles that you mention, the Eagles are the epitome of their genre.

To be sure, they have influenced many performers of my generation, but like many people I know, I'm drawn to performers making their own vain attempt at reinventing the wheel. I say vain because I can discern a lot of their influences, from the Eagles to Bowie, etc. It's probably not fair to lump those two together, but the impact has been similar to younger audiences.

In a lot of ways their music is the music of my childhood, but is not the music that helped to define me, to myself, in my formative teenage years. For that I'm afraid I'll have to point to the 80s & early 90s, and certainly to stuff that didn't do much more than flirt with mainstream success.
Jason
Rockster Edition 80 #893

Post by Guest »

mojo nixon wrote:
This is the sound of my brain
Then I said -This is the sound of my brain on Don Henley
Then I said -One two three four

He's a tortured artist
Used to be in the eagles
Now he whines like a wounded beagle

Poet of despair
Puffed up with hot air
He's serious, pretentious and I just don't care

Don henley must die
Don't let him get back together
With Glenn Frey, Don Henley must die

Cut on the TV
And what did I see
This bloated hairy thing winnin' a grammy
Huah

Best rock vocalist
Compared to what
Bunch of pseudo-serious Kraft angst-a-matic
Satanic plot

Don Henley Must die
Put a sharp stick in his eye, don henley must die
Ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya
Oh

Quit playin' that crap
Youíre out of the band

I'm only kidding, can't you tell?
I love his sensitve music
Idiot poetry swell

You and your kind
Are killin' rock and roll
It's not because youíre o-l-d
--Cause you ain't
Got no soul

Don't be afraid of fun
Loosen up your ponytail
Be wild, young
Free and-a
Get your head
Outta your tail

Don Henley
Must die
Donít let him get back together
With Glenn Frey

Don Henley
Must die
Put him in the electric chair
Watch him fry, Don Henley must die
FGanger

Post by FGanger »

"Guest"

Pretty good, pretty darn good.

Frank
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I saw Joe Walsh on stage here in Atlanta about 12 years ago...And he was already a jibbering idiot then.
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Thanks Jason, well thought and well said...and appreciated, although I am from that generation the Eagles helped define and I'm sure I'll be a fan forever.
Despite those funny lyrics from "Mojo Nixon", whoever the hell he is!

My son is a 32 year old (as of yesterday) professional musician...guitar player & keyboardist, songwiter, singer. Middle of the road to hard rock, some 'edgy' blues. Like many of *his* generation he grew up listening to the Eagles and the others from "their time". He really had no choice. But he also heard Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Ray Charles and others from that time. And Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Pete Fountain and others from the WWII era. And older stuff too, old black southern blues, jazz (Satchmo!) and many others.

Classical and opera for balance (as much as we could stand!)

And Dylan, the Beatles, Clapton, CCR, Moody Blues, The Who and all the others, on to modern times that he or I, or both of us thought were the best or had something to say...like Van Halen, Al Dimeola, Bugs Henderson, John Mayall, and a great many more current.

Sometimes I can hear a lick or phrase I recognize from one of those in his original music, sometimes I'm not sure but it brings them to mind. When I ask him about it usually he smiles and says something like "Yeah, I thought you'd catch that!", sometimes he just looks at me funny and then might say "Man, I hadn't even thought about that, but you're right." Sometimes he just says "You're nuts!".

Point is I guess is that while he might not listen to them anymore (many he does), they are always with him and he has mentioned what a great gift that was. It wasn't from me, it was from them...I just introduced them.

I always think it's sad that many kids think rock & roll was invented on their 14th birthday and often never get or take the chance to get to know their musical history.

Same with motorcycle riders who think it all started with the Triumph Bonneville, or CB750, or YZ250, or GSXR750...or R1150R.
Dave

wncbmw
Lifer

music

Post by wncbmw »

And Dylan, the Beatles, Clapton, CCR, Moody Blues, The Who
Sounds like a set on my XM Deep Tracks channel! :D

Nice post Darth! I type this while listening to my football-playing son practice a beautiful classical piece on his French Horn. In a little while, he will have a head-banging song on his mp3 player. And he enjoys my Beatles stuff. Ain't music grand?
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Ain't music grand?
Damn straight.
Tell your son I like the variety of his musical tastes!
Dave

geechie
Honorary Lifer

Post by geechie »

Sorry I missed this thread when it was fresh.

Dave. I like your taste in music, dude. Throw in some Miles Davis (Cool Period) and you're there!

Jason. Very well said, indeed.

In my misspent youth, I played Rock 'n Roll for a living. Never made the cut to where it was a very good living, but it paid the bills and kept me supplied with various herbs and spices.

There were some interesting and way fine groups that came out of that Buffalo Springfield bunch. (My band opened for Poco in '70 or '71. I actually remember that gig fairly well.)

Crosby, Stills and Nash, for instance just played here. I missed the show, but the reveiws were pretty good. They're still beating that dead (well, it smells funny, anyway) political horse a bit much though, or so I hear.

I still love a lot of the music from the time when I was coming of age and becoming the man I am today. When I hear it, it evokes all sorts of good memories and feelings. But I'm not living there anymore. I've got friends, cats I used to play with, that turn a deaf ear, so to speak, on anything from the start of the "Disco Period" on. They've missed a lot of good stuff. I think it was Count Basie who once opined that there are only two kinds of music, good and bad. I couldn't agree more.

"Roll over Beethoven, tell Tchaikovsky the news!"

George
Member #191
Carpe momentum... y'all