Looking forward to College Football

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

Looking forward to College Football

Post by yjleesvrr »

My gosh, the summer sure blows by quickly. As I type, there are tens of thousands of college students and their parents mobbing the local roads around here for fall semester move-in.

I love summer, but one thing its passing brings is football. With every week, I look forward to going to the stadium to scream my lungs out, or yelling at the TV for the away games. It helps that my alma mater is ranked in the top ten in just about every preseason poll. The first game is set for Sep 4th against a very defensively ferocious North Carolina State. If VA Tech gets by them, then the next landmine will be in Charlottesville against a very good UVA team. Of course, Boston College will be tough and Miami will be, well, Miami.

Riding on a Saturday afternoon is like a second Sabbath to me, but the one thing that rivals my riding activities on a fall afternoon is the pigskin game.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
MidlifeMark
Double Lifer

Post by MidlifeMark »

Yong,

Same for me, only it's the NFL. Thursday night I went up with my daughter and her friends to the Pats' home preseason opener against New Orleans. Although the preseason games don't count for anything, the fringe benefit is the fact that the women in the stands wear much less than they do during the regular season. Here's hoping for a three-peat!
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lifetime Member #84
1987 R80RT
1999 R1100RA
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Amen!

My alma mater, Purdue, has the perfect schedule this year. No Ohio State and no Michigan. The Boilers could be the sleeper in the Big 10.

My other college football love, the Ohio State Buckeyes, have all of their difficult games at home this year. Texas in 3 weeks, Iowa two weeks after that, and then the final game against the Maize and Blow around Thanksgiving. Tickets to the Texas game are going for around $1000.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

It's WV, It's WV

The pride of every Mountaineer.

Come on you old grads
Join with us young lads
It's WV Now we cheer.

Rah! Rah!

Now is the time boys
To make a big noise
No matter what the people say.

For there is naught to fear
The gangs all here
It's hail to WV, Hail!

BIG EAST (Little League of the NCAA)
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Oh, lest I forget... I'm afraid of you Mountaineers this year Cam. I think Tech had better be awake for that contest or it will be a repeat of the ugly game that transpired two years ago.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
wncbmw
Lifer

NC State vs VT

Post by wncbmw »

Yong - Re: September 4th

GO WOLFPACK!! :smt038

(Hey, you got an extra ticket? I'll ride up to see you! Maybe a friendly wager? :wink: )
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

MikeCam,
WVU is a crazy place during football season. I think that the drunken hillbilly factor can even intimidate Miami.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Vann - I gotta spend that weekend with the woman in Richmond. I guess there are worse things to do... Heh, heh.

Maybe you can come up to Bburg next year and watch the game at Lane when it will have 85k seating capacity.

Regarding Morgantown, you have to be a brave person to visit that town when your alma mater is playing the Mountain boys. From what I've heard, you do NOT want to display any of your school paraphernalia. I like the paint on my car
:shock:
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
Gord
Lifer

I Love American Football

Post by Gord »

But I hate to say it, the college game does not grab me. I am a huge NFL fan though.

I get the NFL Sunday Ticket every year and spend from 10:00 to 23:00 every Sunday watching ball. My kids know the big screen is mine from September through February and they stay away (gasp, tonight my wife said a nice flat screen over the fireplace would be a nice addition!)

I won my fantasy league last year. We do our annual draft at The Madison in Toronto on the Labour Day Friday. Have members of the league coming in from Chicago, Philly, Rochester, Cape Cod and the rest of us in southern Ontario.

Can't wait for the regular season to start.

Go KC Go!
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
wncbmw
Lifer

gameday

Post by wncbmw »

Yong - maybe next year! I need to join the Wolfpack club and get some tickets, even nosebleed section tickets would do!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

........go Gators..
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Even though I'm from the Pittsburgh area I've always been a big Penn State fan. My brother is an alum. It would be nice if they could right themselves this year and rejoin the college elite, but I'm afraid they still have some rebuilding to do.

My nephew played DB for UVA in the early 90s when they were intermittently temporarily ranked number one under Joe Welsh. So I am now also a defacto UVA fan. My nephew led the NCAA in interceptions his freshman year with nine - three in one game against Wake Forest.

However, I really have limited time to spend in front of the tube so I only catch a few college games. But I try to never miss a Steeler game. If it wasn't for Midlife Mark's damn Pats that would be 19 games a year, instead of 17 or 18. It's shaping up to be another showdown. I'm hoping Rothlesburger wasn't just a flash in the pan with beginner's luck. Stay tuned.
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Just when pundits began talking about how the NFL would no longer see the dynasties of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's, along comes New England to blow everybody out of the water. As still a Big East fan, I was rooting hard for Philadelphia back in January (because Donovan McNabb played for Syracuse). Alas, the Pats have demonstrated that for the foreseeable future, they will likely rule the roost.

I love the NFL too. I'm a lifelong Redskins fan (I grew up in the D.C. area). Alas, they have been struggling since '92. Given that my alma mater's stadium is a mile away from where my company headquarters is, following college football is a little more visceral right now for me. Nonetheless, I'll take football anyway it comes.
Member #93, June 2002
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
MidlifeMark
Double Lifer

Post by MidlifeMark »

My uncle is a big 'Skins fan. Tough row to hoe these past few years.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lifetime Member #84
1987 R80RT
1999 R1100RA