Engine noise at startup

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

1200bc
Basic User

Engine noise at startup

Post by 1200bc »

2013 R1200R with 4800kms. Oil level good. Maybe 3, possibly 4 times ,since new, when I start the bike I've had it make an awful squeaking, rubbing, scrapping sound in the front part of the engine as it runs. If I bring the revs up it either goes away, or maybe I just can't hear it then. I can't say whether it goes away after warming up because I shut it off and restart later and the sound is gone. Any thoughts?
I will bring it up with the dealer at the 6000 check, and other than today, have not heard it since last year.
Steve H.
Basic User

Re: Engine noise at startup

Post by Steve H. »

Did you washed your bike or drive it in rain?If yes,-Alternator belt slides while it is wet.Normally after few second that noice should go away.If not,check for alternator bearings.Is your bike under warranty?
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

Yes, I guess I thought the alternator was aft on the motor. Thought I saw it under the rear of the tank. If the belt is at the front that could be the noise. That would be a relieve.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Alternator is on the top of engine (front)belt is at the front of engine under the plastic cover with vent ribs on it,that why it gets water.I wouldn't worry about it.

Steve H.
GBag
Basic User

Post by GBag »

Its the belt most likely. as long as it goes away in a few seconds you are fine. If it persists more than a few seconds I'd take it in. Off the cuff I think they recommend replacing the belt every 24K miles which is about 40,000 km.
GBag
'08 XL1200 L (Traded), '09 R1200R (Traded), '11 R1200R (riding the hell out of it)