Question about Warranty

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

VanDan
Basic User

Question about Warranty

Post by VanDan »

I have a 2011 R1200R Classic that I just dropped off for my 10K service and fuel pump recall.

I noticed last fall before storing for the winter that there was something dripping onto my exhaust header (Just below the left side of the oil cooler onto the cross member of the exhaust) I have never actually seen what was dripping but saw the residue on the pipe afterwords.

When I dropped the bike off I asked the dealership to look into it while it was there. I thought there was just a loose clamp or something and liquid was dripping from there. Anyways I received a call from the service department that the leak was coming from inside the motor? (sorry but service guy was not clear as they had not yet completely disassembled the engine yet) He said they would have to remove the left cylinder/head and there was a valve leaking in there and it was "quite a large job".

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this, or have any ideas? Sorry about the poo description but the service guy called 5 minutes to closing and I did not speak to the mechanic.

I asked if it was a warranty repair as my warranty expires in August 2014. The service guy told my he didn't know for sure until they had taken the engine apart and diagnosed the actual leak. He asked the service manager and he said that it would probably be a warranty repair.

I have never had any warranty issues with any of my vehicles so I guess I am just a little nervous as it sounds like quite a large repair. I would think that since the issue is actually in the engine how could BMW possibly deny a warranty repair as there was nothing I could do to cause it?

Sorry, but I am just rambling on so I guess I just want opinions about what the chances are BMW would not repair under warranty.

Cheers
GBag
Basic User

Re: Question about Warranty

Post by GBag »

You have nothing to worry about as long as you are in the warranty period. I haven't heard anything about that type of leak with this version of the bike. I think his hesitancy may have been simply that he didn't have a complete answer from the mechanic yet as they are still in dis assembly mode.
Its hit or miss with BMW as to what goes wrong. I just went off the warranty (over 36,000 mi) My list of issues so far : 1.) Fuel strip replaced - still not right says I have 30mi more range than i actually do but at least its consistent. I always use the trip OD anyway. 2.) de-lamination of the reflective material on the left mirror - Warranty replaced. 3.) speed sensor in the rear wheel failed. This caused my Instrument cluster to stop working. Warranty replacement of the sensor fixed the issue.
So far that is it. I have a friend who has an RT (same engine & drive train) that has been almost completely rebuilt under warranty including final drive replacement at the 600mi checkup, front wheel bearings at 12k, and crankshaft seal replacement at 20k.
It certainly makes me scratch my head a bit.
GBag
'08 XL1200 L (Traded), '09 R1200R (Traded), '11 R1200R (riding the hell out of it)
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Once the problem is fully diagnosed, they should call you with a repair estimate or confirm it is warrantable. Either way, you can't be on the hook until you authorize the work to be done.

I bet it all works out fine. Because we are fans of the brand, we forget that BMW has some of this highest number of issues on new bikes (according to Consumer Reports.)
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

How could it not be a warranty repair? Some dealers go through this story so they look like "great guys" when they get BMW to "approve" the repair.... It's already a done deal, you are covered!
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe