Replacing the alternator belt on the Roadster.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

tinytrains
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Replacing the alternator belt on the Roadster.

Post by tinytrains »

I hit 24K and as part of my service I did the belt. On a roadster it is more work than the rest of the 24K service.

Here are my observations for the R1200R:
1. Getting the cover off - I now know were Mr Rubic went after designing his cube. Once you find the trick, it is not bad.
2. The old belt looked just like the new belt, seems like a waste to change it.
3 .The crescent wrench trick on You-tube does not work on the Roadster. The oil cooler lines are in the way.
4. I used Gates tool to put it on. It would have worked much better with a socket wrench, but I did not have one that big. With the tool on the pulley, there was not room to put the crescent wrench on until I bumped it around withe rear wheel, which is almost impossible once the belt gets tight, but I got to the point I could put the wrench on and it was done.
5. I left out the rubber cushion as discussed to avoid corrosion (I had none).
6. IMPORTANT - Check the screws on your belt cover, all of mine were loose, and one was missing.

7. - The lack of an alternator belt may the best reason to buy at Wet Head!

Does anyone know what size nut on on the crankshaft pulley?
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
johnvw
Basic User

Re: Replacing the alternator belt on the Roadster.

Post by johnvw »

Dear Tinytrains,
I read a number of threads about the belt replacement. Loose NEW belts, now are slightly shorter and tighter, all the old tricks nolonger seem to apply.
I bit the bullet and shelled out for the all new and shiny 'put me on easy just like the pros do and charge big bucks', tool.
If I was in a club or rode with other R12 it would have been nice to share.
Regards
John
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

You will need a 34 mm socket. I replaced my belt last weekend and I went and bought a 34 mm socket. I found one at Advanced Autoparts for $15.00. The Gates tool and the 34 mm socket made putting the belt on very easy.

Roger L
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Glad to hear the cheap Gates tool works.. since I haven't used mine yet. I'm probably about due though, so.. will take a few pics when I do it.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

roger l wrote:You will need a 34 mm socket. I replaced my belt last weekend and I went and bought a 34 mm socket. I found one at Advanced Autoparts for $15.00. The Gates tool and the 34 mm socket made putting the belt on very easy.

Roger L
Thanks for the socket size info.
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R