Driving on mountain roads

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve H.
Basic User

Re: Driving on mountain roads

Post by Steve H. »

Thanks ammolab and Scriber!

May be I am a bliper.I would like to meet you guys,on the road,to see who is a bliper.Probably you guys would bee faster(not so shure),but I would be behind CLOSE.

Thank you!
Steve H.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Well,I started this tread,becouse of fan,and to see what you guys doing on the road.And to keep this forum alive.New treads have been droping in near past-I realised.Biking from 1970,on Yugoslavia's mountain roads,don't you think I know exactly how to drive on these roads???? :D :badgrin: Well,I am a pretty fast driver(if I want to be).Never looking to rpm gage,but feeling the engine.If you are looking for rpm gauge,you are NOT a fast driver-loosing seconds,for looking down.(Reaction time).I am able withouth difficulties to drive my R12R at max.rpms,or near it if I want to do so.But....with age becoming...calm(er).Racing is not my favorite anymore,but I can do it,pretymuch well. Anytime.

First,and over all,be safe on the roads,in any country,anywhere

BRGDS,Steve H.
shawn_speed
Basic User

Post by shawn_speed »

This is a very interesting discussion indeed. When it comes to twisties, I am definitely a novice. I haven't had much contact with other riders; all my experience has been trial and error. I was reading about initiating a turn by counter-steering in the Hurt report. The adage "to initiate a turn towards left, push down on the handle bar with left hand" comes from the concept of initiating the left turn by momentarily steering toward right causing the motorcycle to lean left.

Most riders are supposedly unaware that this is what they are doing since it is so subtle. But proficient riders do this consciously which allows them to flick the bike far quicker. The maneuver is more effective at higher speeds. I read in another article that the counter steer maneuver is far more effective when engine breaking is causing most of the deceleration into the turn as opposed to actuating brakes.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Scriber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1127

Post by Scriber »

shawn_speed wrote:This is a very interesting discussion indeed. When it comes to twisties, I am definitely a novice. I haven't had much contact with other riders; all my experience has been trial and error. I was reading about initiating a turn by counter-steering in the Hurt report. The adage "to initiate a turn towards left, push down on the handle bar with left hand" comes from the concept of initiating the left turn by momentarily steering toward right causing the motorcycle to lean left.

Most riders are supposedly unaware that this is what they are doing since it is so subtle. But proficient riders do this consciously which allows them to flick the bike far quicker. The maneuver is more effective at higher speeds. I read in another article that the counter steer maneuver is far more effective when engine breaking is causing most of the deceleration into the turn as opposed to actuating brakes.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I bet you will find the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough to be very helpful. It was for me.
2013 R1200R
The meaning of my motorcycle: www.betweenmachine.com
shawn_speed
Basic User

Post by shawn_speed »

I bet you will find the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough to be very helpful. It was for me.[/quote]

There is a new edition, just ordered through Amazon. Thank you for the suggestion.

Shawn
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Hi,shawn_speed!

In my young age,(3years or so old)started to drive bicycle on two wheels witch is common in Europe.Today, if you ask me what is the best to lean in curves,-I can not explain.Simply I feel it.Never pushing on handlebar,just position my body,keeping an easy grip(light)on handlebar.I mean tilting the body. Untill you"squiz" the handel-you are scared.Not ready for fast driving in curves yet.When doing it COMPLETELLY relaxed,you are right on,ready to beat curves.The rest is to refine your technique of driving,I.E.slide your bottom part on bike according to sharpness of curve,but position yourself BEFORE entering the curve.Positioning your body,means your footpegs will tuch down later,scince the bike is not leaning that much,but your body conterballancing the centrifugal forces.Vell,I am cetenly not an instructor(my father was)but it worked perfectly for me in the past half century.

Best rgds,Steve H.
shawn_speed
Basic User

Post by shawn_speed »

Thank you Steve, great advice and much appreciated. My comment led to the book recommendation, which led to a couple of posts on another forum which led to me registering for the Lee Parks total control riding course this Saturday here in Arizona and getting the book. I'll post pictures and feedback of the course when done.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Shawn-Speed,you are doing the perfect thing.If learn the wery good basics,just have to bild on it the practise,and have an excellet chance to become a great biker,keeping yourself out of troubles.Way to go!!! :D

Steve H.
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Check into Keith Code. He makes instructional videos, operates a race school and is very good at making things clear.

I watched his vids repeatedly as I was learning to ride. I started riding late in life, but based on these vids, I have transitioned well.

There's a philosophy of riding called, "the pace". This roughly translates into keeping a general pace, not speeding on the straights, not slowing in the turns - a general pace you choose well within your abilities that improves your turning ability and makes you a smooth rider.

Smooth is everything.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I certainly love some twisties!!!! We dont have near enough of them....but when I do I like to rev. Not really high, but high enough that theres torque readily available. and coming out of a corner at full tilt is exhilarating!

Well aware of opposite steering to initiate lean...done for years intuitively, subconsciously. But, then, watched it on a documentary about ducati bikes, and I was confused :) Now I pay attention....

The one thing that was a HUGE help to me...the really slow cornering... where you lean the bike, but NOT you.... Like you see the Police Riders do in parades and all that...very handy. Dragging knees at high speed, fun, but not always necessary.

This bike(1150r) handles WAY better than folks might think. And No, for the eleventeenth time, the boxer heads aren't going to scrape. LOL if they do, its too late, youre already sliding on your bum. :)

cheers!
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

+1 peels!`
At very slow maneuvering,between pilions,basically you flipping your bike from left to right-right to left yur body position is almost neutral.It is easy with r12r,or r1150(don't know that bike).But if you got use to your bike,Knowing the bike's capability and feel it,you can do amasing thinks with your ride companion.(bike) :D