Brake reservoir warning

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

NeilS
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Brake reservoir warning

Post by NeilS »

Checking my bike before riding to work this morning, I noticed a wet spot on top of the front master cylinder. Brake fluid. After cleaning it off, I discovered that the two little screws that hold the reservoir onto the cylinder body had loosened. The reservoir could rock and each time it rocked, a little bit of fluid came through the seal. Presumably there was enough motion while riding to account for the leak.

Just tightened the screws and now it's tight and (hopefully) the leak is stopped. But it would have been a real mess if the screws came all the way out and the reservoir popped off while under way.

Worth taking a minute to check...
Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

Re: Brake reservoir warning

Post by Caol »

Thanks Neil!

One more little thing to keep an eye on!

Kyle
2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes
nephets
Basic User

Post by nephets »

Hi Neil,

My 2007 R1200R has developed the same weeping around the base of the reservoir. Did tightening up the screws stop the leak?

Does anyone know where can I get a front brake master cylinder repair kit?

Cheers,

Steve.
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

Mine had similar weep a couple years ago and I too freaked thinking it was toast. I tightened the screw and pensively road it that way for a week or so. Then I forgot about it until I just read this. I think in my case it was a matter of the screws being a little less than snug, returning from a long morning ride heating the fluid, and letting the bike sit in the blazing sun further heating it.
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV