Long Distance with the R1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Re: Long Distance with the R1200R

Post by Bill Stevenson »

"Thanks for noticing the name I'm using."

I saw him live twice. Both times I came away wondering about my sanity as I got so carried away. His music is definitely an acquired taste. At times industrial, always striving to reach some outer limit that only he could envision. Even his sidemen said they didn't always know exactly what he was after or where he was going. Unlike most bands, he didn't do the same thing night after night. It was always new, always different, every time. He was the happiest guy I ever saw on stage. Maybe Carlos Santana comes close to matching the joy of Sun Ra at times. Off topic I know, but sometimes I can't help myself.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

SDMAX2 wrote: Using a smartphone, I Phone, Android for GPS sucks bc if you've have no internet you got no GPS...
I use my iPhone as a GPS and even though I am rarely out of cell range I loaded an app called NAVFree. It works great, you load just the maps you want state by state. No internet required.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Sun Ra wrote:Hi all. I'm looking at returning to motorcycling after a five year absence. My previous bike was a 2001 R1150GS. I actually have two questions. I'm fairly certain that the R1200R is the best bike to suit my needs which is a daily rider with occasional road trips on weekends. Firstly, is there a generally preferred year to look for for used R1200R's? Secondly, could you offer some recommendations on windscreens and iphone mounts for GPS use. Any other recommendations for getting the most out the R on a long trip? By the way I'm 6' tall.

Thanks all

Hello Sun Ra, welcome to the forum!

The preferred year should be the one that fits your budget, as other have said you can't go wrong with anyone from 07' and up. Nearly 100K miles on my 07' with very little issues and easy maintenance. If you buy an older bike and spend the savings on custom aftermarket suspension and other goodies, it will handle better than a newer model with OEM shocks for sure...
Check out my website to see all the places my R has been.

I use this RAM mount for iPhone 5, works great and it does't matter which case you have, they all fit.
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/ ... fault.aspx

I use the Garmin USA app when not using my standalone Garmin Montana GPS, it allows you to download all of North America so no cell service is needed.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin- ... 40864?mt=8

Get one of these to keep it powered up while riding, wire it directly into the OEM GPS plug hidden under the tank.
http://www.burnsmoto.com/usb-power-sock ... rproof.php

You're on your own for choosing a windscreen, there's many threads in here on the subject, but overall we're all different and choosing one based on others experience doesn't always help. I prefer the BMW touring screen, a perfect balance of looks and protection IMHO.

Good luck!
Get Lost!
Sun Ra
Basic User

Post by Sun Ra »

Another interesting solution to getting audio out of a weather protected iphone:

http://www.jabra.com/Products/Bluetooth ... ra_CLIPPER
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

SDMAX,+1 !!!!
Steve H.
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

Looks like youve gotten some good feedback. An option I employ is a Ram waterproof box, with my Iphone using google maps. I connect to the phone with the SENA SMH-10r, I get turn by turn, music, and can take/make calls without missing a beat. As for touring or comuting comfort the ergos of the R1200r fit me very well at 33" inseam and 6'0" tall. The bikes weight is easy to handle even after a long day in the saddle. Most of my touring is 500 to 700 mile days after three of these Ive found an Airhawk helps with saddle discomfort, this is more a reflection of me being soft vs anything wrong with the saddle. Late last fall I fitted a parabellum scout fairing with large screen, we will see in the spring if this removes the buffeting I was experiencing with the sport screen.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I have a wunderlich trophy fairing on my bike(same as R90S have had)It taking off wind pressure of my chest-5'6"short-Leaving my helmet in puer wind,no buffeting. :D =D>

Steve H. northumerlander-neanderthaller