CLUNK WHEN USING REAR BRAKE

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

warkat
Basic User

CLUNK WHEN USING REAR BRAKE

Post by warkat »

help . i took off my forks and fork bridge to have them painted, volvo deep blue met and they look well. put all back on and torqued up to spec , went out for a test ride and am hearing a clunking noise when i use the back brake. noise seems to be coming from shaft / back wheel area but could be wrong its a 2004 rockster abs. anyone any idea what it could be. it was,nt there b4 i took the forks off.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: CLUNK WHEN USING REAR BRAKE

Post by sweatmark »

Was anything associated with rear wheel touched during the Telelever paint project? If not, then it's hard imagine any way the rear brake circuit, caliper mount, Paralever linkage etc might have changed.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
warkat
Basic User

Post by warkat »

i did put new rear brake pads in a few weeks ago but i had rode it since then with no probs.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

warkat wrote:i did put new rear brake pads in a few weeks ago but i had rode it since then with no probs.
Will betcha the rear brake clunk has nothing to do with your front end work, but is somehow associated with the brake pads change. Still clunking? I would flush/bleed the rear circuit, pull the caliper to check the guide pin and pads for any sticking, check that steel spring holder thing.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Last edited by kirby on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
warkat
Basic User

Post by warkat »

will check pads and calipers tomoro, too wet today. ill let u know how it goes.
warkat
Basic User

Post by warkat »

pads and calipers ok. so off with the tank gonna try flushing the brakes. but have come across another prob the filler caps on the top of the abs/servo/master cylinder thing, they have breather pipes on the side of them which means you can only turn them about a quarter turn before the pipe hits something. there is a hex key hole in the top of them are these small breather pipes ( about 10 mm long ) flexible enough to bend up out of the way to get a full turn. i have saw pics on other forums and the breather pipes are on the top mine are on the side.................help
Airman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Airman »

warkat wrote:will check pads and calipers tomoro, too wet today. ill let u know how it goes.
It occurred to me when I read this that one of the caliper bolts was missing, allowing the caliper to rotate up on the disk. I lost the lower bolt once because I didn't apply locktite.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.