New GS1200 125bhp boxer engine

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

Mark7
Basic User

New GS1200 125bhp boxer engine

Post by Mark7 »

Hi all

How long do you reckon we will have to wait to get this engine in the R1200R?

If we will ever see it in this bike that is?
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Re: New GS1200 125bhp boxer engine

Post by Catchina »

I'm thinking 2014
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

Are you referring to the new watercooled engine? That would be crystal ball reading ... But based on the past a new engine always had its debut in the cash-cow of BMW (the GS) and other models (R, RT, RS and alike) came with 1 - 2 years thereafter. And the sportive model (S) even later.

But honestly I believe you are aware that the consumer is nowadays treated as a beta tester and I personally would wait for at least 1-2 years until any possible kinks have been dealt with.

Brgds
Oliver
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Some thoughts on the "New" R1200R (wasserboxer)

Post by deilenberger »

My WAG is we'll see a new "Roadster".. probably about 2014 or 2015. The "R" seems to always be the last to receive the new engines. I suspect that may be because the other bikes make more money for BMW, and the Roadsters continue to be the best selling BMW in Europe - despite older technology. While BMW is aware the only growth market they really have is the US, they still seem intent on introducing new models to capture new market segments before updating their existing markets.

There was a very interesting talk given by Lawrence Kuykendal of BMW-Motorrad-US (at the time, he's since left) about a talk the Motorrad-US gave to the board of BMW. This was given about 2 years ago at Morton's Spring Fling Rally. The original talk was given to the BMW board about 4-5 years ago. The gist of the talk was - BMW's existing customers are getting older and older (average age something like 54 years old, and progressing one year every year, ie - no new blood coming in at the bottom end) and if BMW wanted to stay in the motorcycle business that trend has to be stopped or reversed since ultimately in the not too distant future all their current owners will be beyond riding motorcycles. They also have saturated their traditional Euro markets, so growth there isn't possible, and the opening Asian (China, Vietnam, Cambodia, India etc.) markets will not be looking at expensive luxury motorcycles (since a motorcycle there is generally looked at as cheap transportation, something to use until you can afford to buy a car..) To stay in business, BMW has to sell more bikes to more younger people in the USA where they have quite a low market share.

That explains the new models like the HP series and the S1000RR, plus the purchase of Husky, and the smaller engine twins that BMW has released. All of these are made to appeal to a younger demographic - some like the S1000RR go head to head in a market segment entirely new to BMW - squids. It seems to work, the local BMW dealer has a waiting list for the S1000RR and charges a rather hefty premium over MSRP for every one they can sell. Shows what wins on Sunday sells on Monday is still true.

The R1200R (aka "Roadster" in Germany) is geared more toward the opposite end of the spectrum. More mature riders (old pharts) recognize the essential goodness of the Roadster in it's light weight, easy handling, upright riding position, and general do-it-all capabilities. It appeals to those of us who have had lots of other bikes, and found that more specialized designs (GS, RT, K bikes) leave something lacking. It also is sold in greater numbers in Europe, where a "naked" (ie - "standard") bike is well regarded - where BMW already has saturated their market.

As such - I don't think a high priority will be given to update the Roadster as the specialized models, since they tend to appeal to people who must have the latest/greatest/fastest. It actually wouldn't surprise me to see the Roadster go off-line for a year if sales of it start to drop, coming back when the new one is ready for prime time. And I'd expect it to be released first in Europe since that's a bigger market for it.

This to me isn't a bad thing. By the time the new Roadster is released, the bugs will be worked out of the new hardware and software, and things like the dynamic suspension will trickle downstream at a lesser cost to the more mundane R model. That's a good thing to me. I don't like being (nor need to be) bleeding edge anymore, and for now - the current Roadster adequately fulfills my wants and desires, and I'm still trying to wear mine out (62k miles, and haven't succeeded yet, but I do keep trying..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Don and his eternal wisdom! How right you are with your statements.

Let me add that I do not expect a roadster to come anytime soon - especially since BMW is suspected to launch the long awaited retro-roadster for the 90th anniversary (that bike will carry the non-LC 1200 DOHC engine, spoked wheels and some other goodies).

Brgds
Oliver
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Don,

You are defying all odds. According to Uncle Knucklehead (I can't recall his nom de plume), stated flatly and with self appointed authority, our bikes are all going to self destruct at any minute. How can you have 62,000 miles and smiles on such a piece of junk? ;-)

Otherwise, thanks for the nice post.

Bill

PS. You are getting way ahead of me, mine only has 30,000 miles and counting.
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Howdy Bill, "piece of junk"? You are walking on thin ice I would say ... :roll:

Brgds
Oliver
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I believe he was paraphrazing the thoughts of my buddy "Uncle BS". Uncle has super secret access to inside BMW coroporate information and lives under constatnt threat of being swooped-up by a Black Corporate helicopter if Ole BS divulges too much info,... he lives on the razor's edge. I think, no hope, that BS has passed away; slipped the surly bonds of the horizontially opposed world and risen into the V-Twin, straight pipe of universe of Harley Land where his qualities can be well regarded.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

:lol: =D>

Brgds
Oliver
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Or UncleBS has reverted back to his other persona.. WildPig..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

deilenberger wrote:Or UncleBS has reverted back to his other persona.. WildPig..
Wouldn't that be ... Wild"HOG"? Just sayin'.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Mark7
Basic User

Re: Some thoughts on the "New" R1200R (wasserboxer)

Post by Mark7 »

deilenberger wrote:My WAG is we'll see a new "Roadster".. probably about 2014 or 2015. The "R" seems to always be the last to receive the new engines. I suspect that may be because the other bikes make more money for BMW, and the Roadsters continue to be the best selling BMW in Europe - despite older technology. While BMW is aware the only growth market they really have is the US, they still seem intent on introducing new models to capture new market segments before updating their existing markets.

There was a very interesting talk given by Lawrence Kuykendal of BMW-Motorrad-US (at the time, he's since left) about a talk the Motorrad-US gave to the board of BMW. This was given about 2 years ago at Morton's Spring Fling Rally. The original talk was given to the BMW board about 4-5 years ago. The gist of the talk was - BMW's existing customers are getting older and older (average age something like 54 years old, and progressing one year every year, ie - no new blood coming in at the bottom end) and if BMW wanted to stay in the motorcycle business that trend has to be stopped or reversed since ultimately in the not too distant future all their current owners will be beyond riding motorcycles. They also have saturated their traditional Euro markets, so growth there isn't possible, and the opening Asian (China, Vietnam, Cambodia, India etc.) markets will not be looking at expensive luxury motorcycles (since a motorcycle there is generally looked at as cheap transportation, something to use until you can afford to buy a car..) To stay in business, BMW has to sell more bikes to more younger people in the USA where they have quite a low market share.

That explains the new models like the HP series and the S1000RR, plus the purchase of Husky, and the smaller engine twins that BMW has released. All of these are made to appeal to a younger demographic - some like the S1000RR go head to head in a market segment entirely new to BMW - squids. It seems to work, the local BMW dealer has a waiting list for the S1000RR and charges a rather hefty premium over MSRP for every one they can sell. Shows what wins on Sunday sells on Monday is still true.

The R1200R (aka "Roadster" in Germany) is geared more toward the opposite end of the spectrum. More mature riders (old pharts) recognize the essential goodness of the Roadster in it's light weight, easy handling, upright riding position, and general do-it-all capabilities. It appeals to those of us who have had lots of other bikes, and found that more specialized designs (GS, RT, K bikes) leave something lacking. It also is sold in greater numbers in Europe, where a "naked" (ie - "standard") bike is well regarded - where BMW already has saturated their market.

As such - I don't think a high priority will be given to update the Roadster as the specialized models, since they tend to appeal to people who must have the latest/greatest/fastest. It actually wouldn't surprise me to see the Roadster go off-line for a year if sales of it start to drop, coming back when the new one is ready for prime time. And I'd expect it to be released first in Europe since that's a bigger market for it.

This to me isn't a bad thing. By the time the new Roadster is released, the bugs will be worked out of the new hardware and software, and things like the dynamic suspension will trickle downstream at a lesser cost to the more mundane R model. That's a good thing to me. I don't like being (nor need to be) bleeding edge anymore, and for now - the current Roadster adequately fulfills my wants and desires, and I'm still trying to wear mine out (62k miles, and haven't succeeded yet, but I do keep trying..)
This is interesting and it suddenly dawns on me the future potential for this bike. Fitting it with the HP2 sport engine will attract a younger market would it not? Further tuning and redesign of the boxer twin making it even more potent would bring about a very attractive package.
Bigg-Brother
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Bigg-Brother »

I got the latest issue of BMW Motorcycle magazine and there is an extensive article about new water cooled GS. So I started to think what this engine would look like on R12R... water hoses, fans, radiators... GS has some covers for all this. Roadster may need to be redesigned extensively in order to hide extra stuff. I don't think I like this idea... Maybe it should stay the way it is? Or the next generation "R" will be an inline four? (I don't believe I just wrote that..)
2008 328xi (manual)
2009 R1200R, black
2010 F800ST, champagne
2013 R1200RT, midnight blue