Yet Another New Rockster Owner

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hunter
Basic User

Yet Another New Rockster Owner

Post by Hunter »

Hello from Northern New Mexico. Sold my old '88 R100RS and joined the 21st century - with some regret. Well, I don't actually HAVE my '04 orange Rockster yet. I bought it off of ebay yesterday and its in Ohio. Yes, it IS about to kill me, but I'm just gonna have to wait 2 weeks. This bike is loaded up with cool extras including the Sargent seat, bags and driving lights. Thank good ness the backrest comes off easliy, though my wife really likes to have one...
Its got 10k miles on it and was recently dealer serviced. I can't wait to throw it into the turns up here in the mountains. Hope to see you all up here. H

shards
Basic User

Re: Yet Another New Rockster Owner

Post by shards »

You'll LOVE it. I bought one from Ohio in Dec 2004, stored in lock-up in Tucson until Apr 2005. Arrived with friends and collected it ( + Boxer Cup and Kawa Z1000 for them) and rode all around NM, AZ and UT. Great roads up where you are. I currently own a 2004 Ed80 bought from Fife, WA and shipped out to NZ. I just LOVE the Rockster. Can you tell ?? Ten years on and they are finally recognised for the great bike they are, that is the sign of a true classic.
spoon
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by spoon »

This could get confusing!!! Yours will make 3 of the same paint color in Northern NM. The back rest may be able to keep us straingt on who belongs to what. Welcome :D
Looks like a little get-to-gether is in order.
Hunter
Basic User

Re: Yet Another New Rockster Owner - LONG with Apologies

Post by Hunter »

Spoon, when I was 18 (1976!) I and 2 of my buddies rode around Seneca, Maryland on '72 T140V Triumph Bonnevilles, 3 different paint schemes but pretty much stock and identical. We TOTALLY though we were badass. I guess, kinda, for the time, we were. We got into all kinds of "hijinx" on those Bonny's. Now, at 54, I don't s'pose we can get into the trouble me and the Boyz did in our senior year of high school, but I'd bet we could put together a killer trip around the twisties of Dixon-Penasco-Mora-Angel Fire-Taos (for a beer) then back to Dixon. Its an AMAZING loop right out my back door....
The Mrs (of 33 years) loved the back rest on the '88 R100RS I sold to finance the Rockster purchase, so it was a "gimme" on the new R1150R to make the deal happen. Actually, the seller is giving me 2 extra seats. The stock one I guess and no idea what the 3rd one is... I'll be honest: Ive never rode an Oilhead. I was in Tuscany Italy several years back when 2 blue and white streaks flew past us in the mountains. All I saw was a Beemer emblem. Caught up with the pair in the next town at a cafe and got my first look at a Boxer Cup Replica. I knew then that the old airhead days were coming to a close. This ties the tale together: I sold my 750 Bonneville and bought a '76 BMW R90S (silver smoke of COURSE- speaking of badass...) and rode the Hell out of it for the next several years. Sold it to my brother (who rode a 750 Norton Atlas when I was on the Bonneville) here's where it gets weird: I bought a rigid frame Harley Superglide FX, kick only, and rode it for several years, actually touring on it (with straight pipes!). Sold that eventually and bought a '77 R100/7, bought the blue with white pinstripe color matched S fairing and boattail seat from Capital Cycle and turned it into an S. Rode the Hell out of that for a number of years, then the "Great Hiatus": I was a No-Rider (That's what we called a Biker with no bike) for several years. Brother John called me up and said he was looking for a R100RS, we both always wanted one, so I watched Craigslist and found him a pearl white '88 in Phoenix. He promptly went down there and bought it. Six months later I found another one just like it in Prescott, AZ and I went down and bought IT. Well, turned out they were exactly 29 serial numbers apart. We cruised every afternoon in the summer in Flagstaff and it was like looking in a mirror. NICE BIKE I'd say, and he'd say NICE BIKE and we'd laugh. I just sold that R100Rs in about 2 days after putting it on Craigslist in Santa Fe. Guess I underpriced it, but I got exactly what I paid for it - in this crappy economy. I wanted a Boxer Cup after the Italy bug bite. Been reading a LOT on the Oilhead Subject and saw the Rockster. Lots of them for sale, the green a bit much I think, though I'd have rode it for the right price. Found this one on ebay in Cleveland, OH, the beauty you mention in your post. 10.6k miles and nary a scratch, plus a ton of extra gear... I'm having it shipped to the great folks at OCD Custom Cycles in Santa Fe - because - I'm flying to work in Brazil this Saturday for a couple months straight. I'll never even get to see it until the end of December. Sniff. So if you want to visit it, please go to OCD and see Marc and Francis and tell them you're there to see the Orange Streak that belongs to Hunter. Then you have to email me and tell me what a great bike I bought. THEN we'll get the three of us together for a regularly scheduled tour of Frozen, "Cold and Snowy" Northern New Mexico. It won't be NEAR as warm back there as on the R100RS! Actually, my wife remarked on our first ride (Summer) on that bike that: "It's WARM back here". That from the lady who'd done a ton of miles on the R90S, the Harley 74 Chopper (she's VERY patient!) and the '77 R100/7...
So, I'm glad you wrote and I'm REALLY looking forward to blasting the backroads with you and whoever is the other Orange Streak owner. THANKS for writing! See ya when it gets warm enough to thaw the frost in the shadows! Hunter
This is your Brain:

This is your OIL-HEAD!
spoon
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by spoon »

Cool! Nice story, and yes that is a great loop. Just across the valley on the Jemez side we have some nice roads, and good food. I'll check out your new ride and let you know what I think.
Spoon