pri ign does not work

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

pri ign does not work

Post by kirby »

I have an electrical mystery.
'04 rockster, 50K miles. Bought new.
Bike was in storage for 18 months while I was out of the country. Was running great when I left. Bike is always stored inside or covered with good cover

This is not a fuel problem.
Everything on the bike works except the primary ign. Here is what I have done so far.

New hall sensors and they will light off the fuel pump every 180 deg.
New stick coils and ign leads.
New plugs and tested with both grounded.
New TPS adjusted correctly.
Tried another ECU from an R bike with dual ign.
swaped the relays around and cleaned contacs
No blown fuze.
Side stand sw checks out
Netural sw checks out
kill sw checks out
Clutch sw checks out.
Ign sw seems ok as everything but the pri ign works
bike will run on secondary ign but poorly. When running the cyln head temps are within 10 deg.
Does not seem to be any power for the stick coils. I have a clymer manual and the wireing diagrams not so good. It shows power to the stick coils supplied via the load control relay? Checked the 4 wires ti the 2 stick coils and detected no short or ground. 145mV on the signal wire while cranking. Don't know if I should be reading 12V on the green wire with ign sw on.

OK sweatmark, I have seen allot of your comments on the R electrical system..what do you think? Any ideas?

pouzzled
mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: pri ign does not work

Post by sweatmark »

Send me your email via PM. Sounds like you might benefit from Rockster-specific circuit info.

Otherwise, there's no smoking gun based on your troubleshooting. And I'm interpreting your "pri ign does not work" to imply that you've confirmed lack of spark via dedicated tester, eg.

http://www.harborfreight.com/inline-ign ... 69014.html

As you will see in the Electrical diagrams, some Rocksters were equipped with a second load relief relay that handles only the primary plugs/coils... I haven't found any reference anywhere that designates which specific VINs or build dates correspond to inclusion of the Load Relief II relay, so your guess is as good as mine about your stick coils' supply.

You're sure there's no stale fuel, injector fouling, or a big rats nest under the tank with chewed wire harness chaos?
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby

Post by kirby »

Thanks for the response.
New fuel injectors, total clean out of tank with new filter. Pressure is 43psi in line from the pump output to the regulator.
I have a spark tester and confirm that there is no spark. (Upper pri only) lower plugs fire.
My diagrams show the single (secondary coil ) powered from the ign switch. The Clymer diagrams show the Non load control layout as well as the what is labled "load control II" layout. That one shows the pri coils powered by the load control relay.

Its a mystery. I have seen the pri coils not fire because of an open ign lead,but mine have been replaced with new ones both sides and continuity checked on both.

The only thing I can think of is something in the harness ugh!

Thanks again!
mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

For reference, Mike confirmed problem was Load Relief Relay II (K9121). And his BMW dealer didn't know about that 2nd load relief relay!
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
shards
Basic User

Post by shards »

Do you have a pic of where this 2nd Load Relief relay II hides? This has been a very interesting thread.
kirby

Post by kirby »

The second load relief relay location:

Starting with the starter relay (looking forward on the bike the first row of relays, 7 of them if you have abs. If no abs the #6 relay position will be empty.) The # 7 is labeled "lighting" in my manual. That is also the load relief relay II and if it malfunctions will cut power to the primary (top) plugs on the dual plug systems! This is true for all dual plug R machines so far as I know.

Bike is very happy now as is the owner! Hope this helps.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER