Bike stopped running while riding FIXED (fuel)

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

zmuff
Basic User

Bike stopped running while riding FIXED (fuel)

Post by zmuff »

My 2004 Rockster suddenly quit running while on a ride a few days ago, just like hitting the kill switch. I went through all the troubleshooting I could find on this site...side stand, kill switch, zip tied wires. The fuel pump ran as advertised, but no spray at the injectors, and I had spark at the plugs. I pulled the tank off and took out the pump/filter assembly and actually found two problems.

The hose had come off of the pump which explained why it died suddenly, but what suprised me was the condition of the hoses on either side of the filter. They were deteriorated so much that bubbles has formed in the rubber and one had actually opened up. That explained why my bike would run like crap when the fuel level was way down...it was sucking air. Replaced all the hoses with good fuel injection hose and clamps and my bike runs great again.

Has anyone come across fuel hoses deteriorating like that before? I found that kind of surprising. I bought this bike in late 2009 from the original owner with only 1600 miles on it. Is it possible that not being ridden for so long with the hoses exposed to air would cause that to happen?

My thanks to this website and all who have posted to help keep our bikes running as they should. It would have taken me much longer to find the problem without your help.
2004 Rockster
Yorktown, VA
leogrande586
Basic User
Donating Member #: 679

Re: Bike stopped running while riding FIXED (fuel)

Post by leogrande586 »

ethanol?
04 1150 Rockster
1980 Sp 1000 MotoGuzzi
Kawasaki 250 Ninja
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Has anyone come across fuel hoses deteriorating like that before?
Topic of fuel hoses - especially for submersion within fuel tank - has been covered before. Important topic, and thanks for your reminder.

search.php?keywords=fuel+hose&terms=all&submit=Search

Example:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22624&p=198919&hili ... se#p198919
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
BimmerBill
Basic User

Post by BimmerBill »

I had a problem (leaking QD) about 6 mos ago w/ my 02' R1150R (7K miles). I got the tank off and the fuel and vacuum/overflow lines where badly wore out. I replaced them all while leaving the original fuel filter intact. I replaced the BMW clamps with screw/nut type clamps.

I was riding home tonight and the engine stopped running. I don't know what the problem is yet but I suspect the fuel line may have disconnected from the filter inside the tank. I heard you can externalize the fuel filter, I need to find out how, I assume there is a DIY - I'll search around on the forum?
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

yes, look around the forum and you'll find the instructions to externalize. You'll never be sorry.

They are on an XL spreadsheet, so be prepared for that.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
motronicguy
Basic User

Post by motronicguy »

Hi i have a 2005 Rockster with the same condition, i have a tender on the bike and all of a sudden,the bike wont start
so i pulled the injectors and found a weak spray and decided to replaced the fuel filter, note the bike have 2700 mi only
when i removed the pump filter assy i was surprised at the condition of the filter hoses they were soft and were just falling
apart.the one between the pump and filter had a hole in it,i replaced the hoses and the bike started like a champ.