Brake servo unit has died

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Old Crockster
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Brake servo unit has died

Post by Old Crockster »

AS above, it would appear that my servo unit has given up so I'm now on the look out for a new one.
If anyone knows of such a thing I would be very grateful as BMW want silly money.

I am based in Irvine Ayrshire West coast of Scotland

cheers Kevan
Twinspark
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Brake servo unit has died

Post by Twinspark »

Hi Kevin
I have an 04 1150 rt and mine packed up last week, I've just finished removing the servo unit
I used the steel brake pipes to make the loops to connect the master cylinders to the calipers
Just got the ends flared at the local garage, sorted out the brake light with a relay driven by the brake switches
Removed the Abs fault relay and bled the system
Works a treat

Cheers Andy
Old Crockster
Basic User

Post by Old Crockster »

Twinspark wrote:Hi Kevin
I have an 04 1150 rt and mine packed up last week, I've just finished removing the servo unit
I used the steel brake pipes to make the loops to connect the master cylinders to the calipers
Just got the ends flared at the local garage, sorted out the brake light with a relay driven by the brake switches
Removed the Abs fault relay and bled the system
Works a treat

Cheers Andy
Thanks Andy, I'll look into that

Kevan
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

Careful Kevan: the Rockster's speedo will stop working. It's not like an RT's. Please make sure you read through this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13571&hilit=abs

Good luck!
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
hank
Basic User

Post by hank »

If you do decide to go ahead and remove the ABS unit Have a look at this link http://jpramondon.blogspot.co.uk/2010/0 ... fully.html I wish I had seen this before I removed the servos from my R1150R. This is a neat solution that allows you to keep the electronic speedo and also saves having to tap into the wiring loom to run the brake lights via a relay.

There is no need to buy any parts to plumb the brake lines when removing the ABS. Re route the rear flex pipe so it connects to the master cylinder. http://www.ukgser.com/forums/attachment ... 1275394682 And route the front like this http://www.ukgser.com/forums/attachment ... 1275394691

Hope this helps.
I'm a rollin stone all alone and lost...............
bjl333
Basic User

Post by bjl333 »

I'm glad I saw this post!! =D> I've always wondered what would happen if my servo decides it don't like me anymore! :-k
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Removing Integral ABS 1 and retrofitting to conventional braking is simple. For the R1150** Oilheads that use front wheel speedometer drive, the retrofit entails one simple plumbing change and the use of a common relay to control brake lamp switching. My topic thread in the Rockster section has info.

For bikes that rely on the iABS1 controller to process the wheel speed measurement from ABS sensor and send signal to speedometer (like Rockster), there are several options available for handling the speedo signal path. I have successfully used two different circuits for my Rockster speedometer signal, and am working now on a refinement that is simpler, more accurate, and solves a BMW engineering problem that's Rockster-specific... or is just an artifact of poor workmanship on my bike.

Retaining the iABS controller box is the simplest option for someone whose servo system has crapped out. My iABS servo was working great when removed, so I chose alternate means of speedo signal processing and kept the iABS unit intact.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

If I was you I'd watch out for a replacement servo on e-b** across Europe. Any 1150 servo will do.

Brgds
Oliver
hank
Basic User

Post by hank »

Heres a link to a fix that is worth trying before you get into the expense of a replacement ABS unit
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254381
Old Crockster
Basic User

Post by Old Crockster »

Thanks for the advice chaps. Servo bypass carried out and all is well again on planet Rockster :D
hank
Basic User

Post by hank »

Old Crockster wrote: Servo bypass carried out and all is well again on planet Rockster :D
Good to hear you are back on the road, I bet the bike is more fun to ride now that you can actually feel what the brakes are doing.
Old Crockster
Basic User

Post by Old Crockster »

hank wrote:
Old Crockster wrote: Servo bypass carried out and all is well again on planet Rockster :D
Good to hear you are back on the road, I bet the bike is more fun to ride now that you can actually feel what the brakes are doing.
Spot on Hank! the brake are lovely now

cheers

Kevan