EBC Double H sintered brake pads, are they for Rockster?

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

brico
Lifer

EBC Double H sintered brake pads, are they for Rockster?

Post by brico »

I am reading an article about the use of sintered vs organic bake pads and it clearly says that sintered metallic brake pads are Ok for SS brake discs but not for cast iron or other non SS brake discs. Brake discs on my 2004 R1150R Rockster are not Stainless Steel as magnet sticks to them so I guess they are some sort of iron discs. I ordered EBC Double H Brakes pads from "beemerboneyard" as recommended for my model, but am now in doubt if these are right thing to use?

Any comments suggestions are welcome and much appreciated
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: EBC Double H sintered brake pads, are they for Rockster?

Post by riceburner »

I've used them in the past and they were fine.

I don't use them (the EBC) ones as I don't think they're value for money. In the past I've bought the OE BMW pads because, although they're more expensive - they're actually thicker (I seem to remember doing a measurement test and posting up the findings in this forum somewhere).

Nowadays though I just buy the cheapest HH pads I can find - generally from Motorworks.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: EBC Double H sintered brake pads, are they for Rockster?

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

I don't know about the suitability of those pads with your discs, BUT I can say that you shouldn't assume that the discs are not stainless because they are magnetic. It's over 40 years since I studied mechanical engineering, but I think the magnetic qualities are dependent on the quantity of Martensite present in the material and I don't think that this is a measure of the quality of the stainless steel. Different quantities of Martensite are present in different applications.

Rog
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert