Time to check your antifreeze

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Time to check your antifreeze

Post by towerworker »

Ok guys and gals---that time of year is upon us. The temps are starting to fall more and more. Before you know it we'll be dusting snow from our machines.
Time to remove the fuel tank and check the antifreeze!
Don't do like I did last winter and neglect to check! Being in the hospital was no excuse.
Our bikes use a good quality 50/50 mix. Any reputable BMW motorcycle parts dept stocks just the right type for the R1150R. Tell 'em I sent you.

Towerworker
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
hank
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Time to check your antifreeze

Post by hank »

While you have the tank off to top up the anti freeze don't forget to check the Can Bus fluid level as well.
I'm a rollin stone all alone and lost...............
Martyn
Basic User

Post by Martyn »

Will the air that I put in the tyres last month be OK, or is there a special winter tyre air additive ? :smt102
Martyn Hillier, Cheltenham, UK.
1979 R100RT, 2013 R1200RT, 2014 R1200R & 2016 R1200RT Iconic.
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I read your post and poured the 50/50 mix into that big hatch on top of the tank. The bike started okay but quickly coughed and sputtered out. Now I can't get it to start. I used Prestone. Should I have used a different brand? I know European bikes can be sensitive about that sort of thing.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

Will the air that I put in the tyres last month be OK, or is there a special winter tyre air additive ?
I cant believe that you still use air in your tyres. I was concerned about the weight of my Rockster so I used Helium (36front/38rear) which immediately reduced the overall weight of the bike to 150kgs. I still wasn't happy with the weight so I increased the pressures to 38/42 which has brought the weight down to a more manageable 125kgs and it now feels like the old BSA Bantam I had when I was 17.

Antifreeze is on the agenda for this weekend, Wayne.

Rog
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Martyn wrote:Will the air that I put in the tyres last month be OK, or is there a special winter tyre air additive ? :smt102
No, for winter riding you need something totally different, something that will prevent tire "freeze up" -- a potentially disastrous occurrence. Travel to DC to get some of the "hot air" that is prevalent there. They have it in abundance and the cost is exactly what it's worth...$0.00
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Xdot wrote:I read your post and poured the 50/50 mix into that big hatch on top of the tank. The bike started okay but quickly coughed and sputtered out. Now I can't get it to start. I used Prestone. Should I have used a different brand? I know European bikes can be sensitive about that sort of thing.
No, Prestone is fine. I guess I should have clarified the instructions. On certain model years the actual radiator cap is actually just forward of the rear tire. Some people confuse this cap with the rear shock preload control. Yours must be one of those models. This should clear that up. Glad I could help---you could have caused irreparable damage to your engine!
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Thanks Wayne, the UK doesn't normally get such severe weather, but we're forecast some nasty weather this year so I think I'll do the procedure this year, thanks for reminding me to do it!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Wayne,

Thanks for the annual "heads up"! Hope you are mending nicely? Also, how is the missus doing?
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Hi Bob

Thanks for asking, Donna is doing very well-all tests show good. She is feeling well and her hair is growing back nicely. She had relatively straight hair prior to chemo--but it's coming back curly!

I'm getting stronger (small gains but i'm thankful!) I measure improvements in small ways--like how easily I can pull starter cord on mower and weed-eater. My walking is better, no need to use any fore-arm crutch any longer. Nerves in hands and feet are still non-operational but hands are still stronger. We still have a ways to go but are grateful that God has blessed us with what we have. (Just renewed tags and ins. on R-- a good friend is keeping the oils circulated for me)

Bottom line--it's all good!!

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Wayne,

It's great to hear that you and Donna are both doing better. Thanks for the update.

About the antifreeze, I have adapted a new plan. I started to fill my tires with it, roughly half the capacity (the other half is just air, I can't afford the fancy stuff). The anitfreeze doubles as a "dynamic wheel balancer" and as a reserve in case my radiator runs low, out on the road. It just might be my imagination, but handling is much improved also. I can't believe nobody else has ever thought to do it.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Freezing isn't so much of a problem down here as boil overs, so I change my antifreeze every spring to get ready for some really HOT riding! :smt028 :smt082 :smt040 :smt077 :smt117

And RogUK, helium in tires is much cooler than nitrogen; it has higher thermal conductivity to dissipate heat better. Maybe your tires will last longer! We've got way too much hot air here anyway! :smt102 :smt026 :smt041 :smt030 :smt098

Keep it up, Wayne. Donna will appreciate it! :smt023 :smt038 :smt039 \:D/ :smt090

(all puns intended)
Rich
ADIOS!
bergj1986
Basic User

Post by bergj1986 »

Remember guys, a good way to find out if your antifreeze is still good is to mix it 50/50 with your favorite soft drink or alcohol. Gives the drink a nice twang...... :)
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

iowabeakster wrote:Wayne,

It's great to hear that you and Donna are both doing better. Thanks for the update.

About the antifreeze, I have adapted a new plan. I started to fill my tires with it, roughly half the capacity (the other half is just air, I can't afford the fancy stuff). The anitfreeze doubles as a "dynamic wheel balancer" and as a reserve in case my radiator runs low, out on the road. It just might be my imagination, but handling is much improved also. I can't believe nobody else has ever thought to do it.
Wayne, glad you and Donna are doing well!! Thanks for the update.

As far as the antifreeze goes in the tires, I wonder if it is safe enough where the tire rubber does not degrade prematurely? You might want to rethink the whole antifreeze in the tire thingy. Just a thought.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
grwrockster
Lifer

Post by grwrockster »

I'm having trouble finding out where to put the antifreeze in on my bike. I'm also still trying to find the cup-holder and the ashtray. Perhaps I'm not cut out for this home maintenance, and should just get my dealer to sort it?
hank
Basic User

Post by hank »

grwrockster wrote:I'm having trouble finding out where to put the antifreeze in on my bike. I'm also still trying to find the cup-holder and the ashtray. Perhaps I'm not cut out for this home maintenance, and should just get my dealer to sort it?
The cup holder is just under the gas cap, you need to use the ignition key to open it. All 1150r models have a factory fitted ashtray it is on the handlebar above the front brake lever, due to European anti smoking legislation the ashtray was secured by 4 screws, just undo them and remove the lid to access the tray.
I'm a rollin stone all alone and lost...............
grwrockster
Lifer

Post by grwrockster »

Thanks Hank! Wow - aren't those german engineers fiendishly clever! I've checked my bike and I think I must have a top of the range model - mine seems to have a 2nd ashtray on the LH bar as well as the one by the brake lever!

I'm guessing this extra ashtray must be for my passenger then? If that's the case, shouldn't there be a 2nd cup-holder for her as well?
TonyT47
Basic User

Post by TonyT47 »

Speaking of tires, I've often wondered why BMW doesn't try to sell us some of that excellent German air.
I remember my Dad, a veteran of Dunkirk, pointing out that all the bombed out/shot up German transport in post D-Day film footage had flat tires. That, he said, was because the Brits and Canadians had teams of engineers following close on the fighter-bombers, draining the air out of the tires because it was so much superior to the British air.
Seems like a missed marketing opportunity to me, not that I'd buy any, also being an Airhead an' all.
Cheers,
Tony
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

grwrockster wrote:Thanks Hank! Wow - aren't those german engineers fiendishly clever! I've checked my bike and I think I must have a top of the range model - mine seems to have a 2nd ashtray on the LH bar as well as the one by the brake lever!

I'm guessing this extra ashtray must be for my passenger then? If that's the case, shouldn't there be a 2nd cup-holder for her as well?

That's for left handed smokers! :lol:
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

TonyT47 wrote:I remember my Dad, a veteran of Dunkirk, pointing out that all the bombed out/shot up German transport in post D-Day film footage had flat tires.[
I know this is a little off subject but... Wow. I grew up on stories of this stuff and with great appreciation for what the Allies accomplished in both theatres. Dunkirk. My own granddad was a veteran of Guadalcanal and Midway. Love to sit down and swap perspectives with you over a beer, mate. Got to go - Liverpool vs ManU is queuing up...
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster