Gas Mileage With and Without Fairing

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Gas Mileage With and Without Fairing

Post by Xdot »

I recently put my fairing (21" Parabellum SuperTour) back on for cooler weather riding. I had been getting 41-42 mpg using 92 octane, no-ethanol fuel in mostly city driving. I filled up yesterday after putting 200+ miles on the last tank with the fairing on and calculated 45 mpg. I should also say that I know I ride faster with the fairing on since the wind blast is less. With unchanged riding habits I might be looking at something more along the lines of 46 or 47 mpg but that is speculation.

Maybe the faster riding is why my ears are bleeding from buffeting??? I was cruising at 90+ on the interstate yesterday and didn't realize it, but I did get molds made for a set of custom ear buds.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
ColumbiaBMW
Basic User

Re: Gas Mileage With and Without Fairing

Post by ColumbiaBMW »

I have the exact same windshield on my bike, and I just got back from a 2,300 mile trip to Colorado. On the interstate going about 80-85 mph I would get about 43mpg. But, when I was up in the Rocky Mountains, and our average speed was around 55 mph, I was averaging well over 50 mpg. At one fill up, I calculated that I actually got 57 mpg! I'm not sure how different it would have been had I taken the windshield off, but I have never got anywhere near 57 mpg until I put it on.

Oh, and I was wishing I had some ear plugs on the way home. On the ride out there while riding mostly smaller Kansas highways, and while riding around the mountains, the noise never really bothered me. But after 6 days of riding, and taking i-70 home at about 85 mph, I could barely hear when I got home. Of course that could be also because I rode the entire 756 miles home in one day, but still....I learned my lesson to definitely get some ear plugs before my next big trip.
Bryan
2010 R1200R
R1150Rclean
Basic User

Macks ear plugs

Post by R1150Rclean »

Here is what I use: http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/Mo ... m-earplugs.

Publix has them, cheap, reusable, and really quiet. After I role them up I will wet them a little before I slip them into my ears. That makes sure they go in all the way straight, instead of folding up (will not blook out all the noise if they fold over in the ear canal). Just be careful nto to stick them in too deep, sometimes I do and have to use my key to get them out.
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

The better gas mileage in the rockies is probably due to elevation. There is less air up there, so consequently there will be less gas used. Your bike also was also producing less power though. The same thing happens in cooler vs. warmer air temps.

There will also be a big difference in riding 55 mph, and 80-85 mph.

I'm not saying that the fairing doesn't help with mileage, it might help. Aerodynamics and mileage could be improved by the fairing.

My bike has the tiny speedster screen. I usually get about 45 mpg. I have also gotten 50+ with constant highway riding, on numerous tanks of gas.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
ColumbiaBMW
Basic User

Post by ColumbiaBMW »

I was thinking it may have something to do with thinner air means less drag (and a little bit of help from the windshield). The bike seemed to do a pretty good job of adjusting for less air, around 5,000 to 10,000 feet it didn't seem to have any less power, the only time it had trouble was when we rode to the top of Mt. Evans at 14,260 feet, it died on me in the parking lot, but it fired right back up and we took off again. Back to the point though, I'm sure the altitude and slower highways had a lot to do with the gas mileage also, but even back here in Missouri I could never get 50 mpg until I put the windshield on. My best trip pre-windshield was 48 mpg, after I put it on (and rode the same highway at 60 mph) I got 51 mpg. So I think it helps a little, of course most people don't buy them for gas mileage though, I bought mine because I like having some feeling in my neck after a several hour ride.
Bryan
2010 R1200R
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

Glad to hear positive comments from more experienced riders re the parabellum super tour screen. After much consideration, I think I am headed in that direction. Sounds like the buffeting isn't too bad.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Xdot »

sstein wrote:Glad to hear positive comments from more experienced riders re the parabellum super tour screen. After much consideration, I think I am headed in that direction. Sounds like the buffeting isn't too bad.
The mounting system is one of the best I've seen. I've got more info coming in the next few weeks. I've ordered a Rifle AirBalance Vent. It will require cutting a hole in the front of the screen but it stands to virtually eliminate the buffeting. I'll let you know.

I found I prefer the screen without the black strip that goes around the headlight. Also, the turn signals light-pipe into the screen and turn the rim bright orange at night. I took a few six inch or so long pieces of black rubber tubing, split them down the middle, and use them to cover the edges of the openings for the turn signals. Eliminated the light piping.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster